AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Who is eligible for a beta-license? Are there special requirements...

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Or are existing 4.4.6.1 licenses automatically beta licenses?

3. guest

guest Guest

I'm not sure. i'm asking because i read that there are special beta-licenses:
    And if AG 4.x is EOL, it will be a closed-beta and maybe a special license has to be used :doubt:

4. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

Anyone who is willing to beta test AppGuard releases.

There is the common expectation that beta testers will actually test the product and report issues.

I would expect some optimization of the beta testing program at some point.

5. Lockdown

No. Beta licenses are distinct perpetual licenses with 3 activations each. If you "consume" all of the activations by forgetting to uninstall AppGuard before performing clean installs, then the activations can be reset.

6. Lockdown

It is for the "forseeable future."

7. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sense 4.4.6.1 appears to be the last official update for AppGuard 4 does anyone know what the difference or changelog is for 5.2 ?

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Can both appguardpolicy.xml and AppGuardPolicy.xml successfully be imported from v4.4.6.1 to AppGuard Personal 5.2.9.1?

10. Lockdown

Yes. Version 4 and 5 are virtually identical.

Same procedure as before:
    • Copy appguardpolicy.xml in both AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\AppGuard (specific to current User Profile\Windows account) and ProgramData\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard (AppGuard default settings & policies applied to other User Profiles\Windows accounts)
    • Paste each respective appguardpolicy.xml into AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\AppGuard and ProgramData\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard.
    • Do not get the two appguardpolicy.xmls mixed-up !
    • Reboot system for imported custom XML to be loaded by AppGuard.
    At some point an Export\Import functionality will be implemented. It is just a matter of time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  11. Lockdown

There is no meaningful difference between AppGuard Professional 4.4.6.1 and AppGuard Personal 5.2.9.1 in terms of default settings, policies or capabilities.

The one essential difference between version 4 is that the license is a perpetual version license (Lifetime for that specific version - e.g. all 4.X.X.X) whereas version 5 license is an annual subscription license.

The posting of changelogs needs to be improved. I will see to it.

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Same procedure as before: and TamperGuard disable..?

13. Lockdown

Use context menu right-click > copy

If you attempt to copy the appguardpolicy.xml by dragging it from AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\Appguard to the desktop, then you will have to disable TamperGuard (Self Protection) first.

14. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, I thought right click > paste needs TamperGuard disable since, I'm changing AG policies. Thanks.

15. Lockdown

There is some weird behavior - at least on W7:

To make backup copy of appguardpolicy.xml - if you drag-and-drop then there is elevated privileges alert - but copy-base will not generate the alert.

To drop appguardpolicy.xml into directory - if you drag-and-drop then there is no elevated privileges alert - but copy-paste will generate the alert.

I have to check it - I suspect it is Windows.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, I was imagining TamperGuard extends beyond...
    I was imagining export/import were under TamperGuard. I read somewhere...
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\appguard\appguardpolicy.xml

1. Disable tampering protection

2. Go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\appguard\appguardpolicy.xml

3. Copy appguardpolicy.xml

4. Save to external media - cloud, flash drive, etc

5. Re-enable tampering protection
    and
    Currently there is no feature within AppGuard to automatically import/export settings but I believe it can be done, albeit somewhat clumsily, as follows.

The settings are held within two policy files named AppGuardPolicy.xml. They are located in the Application Data\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard folder within the user profiles on Windows XP. There will be one within the administrator profile used to install AppGuard and another within the All Users profile. You need to backup both of them. The folders on Windows 7 may be different from Windows XP but the file names will be the same so just search for any AppGuardPolicy.xml appguardpolicy.xml approx 30kb files and copy them away somewhere.

I suggest the following procedure when restoring them. In the Advanced tab, temporarily uncheck the "Stop Self Protection (TamperGuard)" checkbox. Next set the Protection Level to Off and uncheck the "Re-enable <xxxx> level after <xx> minutes" checkbox so that AppGuard protection isn't automatically re-enabled on the next restart. Now copy the backed up policy files back to their original locations and restart the PC. All being well, the backed up settings should now be active again. Don't forget to re-enable the previous Protection Level and TamperGuard when done. If that doesn't work, try restarting the PC with AppGuard protection off before restoring the backed up policy files.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  17. guest

guest Guest

After disabling TamperGuard, don't forget to put AG on "allow install" and untick the checkbox, then logout/login. if not the new xml file won't be kept and revert to the old one.

18. boredog

boredog Registered Member

guest will you keep using the lifetime version or switch to the yearly? for now I am going to keep using the lifetime.

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Ahh, bet that's why my attempt failed. Um, logout/login refers to Privileged Operations..?
    I don't have Privileged setup.

20. guest

guest Guest

As long as 4.x can be used (until the "license support" is over), there is not really a need to switch.
    According to an older post this year you will loose "enhanced wildcards"-functionality with switching to 5.x and if it can't reach the server in regular intervals it will discontinue protection.
    But i'm not sure if something has changed with version 5.2.9.1 released several months ago.
    Edit: Enhanced wildcard support was added with v.5.2.9.1.
    New quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thank you

22. guest

guest Guest

No, i meant you log out Windows and log in , no need to reboot to apply the changes.

23. guest

guest Guest

Im closed beta tester, so i stick to the v4.x.x. until it stop to be beta builds.

24. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Does anyone know how to setup Avira Free and AppGuard?

25. guest

guest Guest

Honestly, the use of Appguard put the need of any real-time AVs irrelevant; the malware won't even be able to execute; if you have Win8/10 , WinDef is enough.

Now if you still want to keep Avira; you have nothing special to do (at worst just add Avira's processes in AG's Power Apps and add AG's processes on Avira's exclusions)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.