AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thank you!

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

3. guest

guest Guest

hum hum... and be very patient :D

@hjlbx typo on the link :D

4. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

6. guest

guest Guest

very very very slow support lately (mailed 2 persons) , more than a week waiting to unlock my licenses ...seems they are very busy to fix the findings of @hjlbx :p

7. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

From what I understand a bunch of staff are on vacation during August. That's probably the reason for slow support...

8. guest

guest Guest

i see, anyway their licensing system is inapropriate for testers like us, we should have unlimited activations...

9. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I agree. It's a quirky licensing scheme.

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

On my AppGuard 3.x license I've activated it soo many times! I think Barbara told us back then that as long as we uninstall AppGuard properly, the activation will be subtracted from the limit of activations.

11. guest

guest Guest

in theory , you are right, in practice a tester may not be able to do that , because we are more exposed to unbootable systems which may need a clean install right away...

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I forgot exactly how "Private" directories work.

I have my OneDrive-directory set to "Private" and only Onedrive.exe in my Guarded Apps-list is set to "Privacy = No". The rest of the Guarded Apps are set to Privacy = Yes. That means all other Guarded apps are denied access to my OneDrive-files except Onedrive itself, correct?

Now, imagine this scenario based on my settings;

1) I download *.exe. The file is digitally signed and my protection level is set to "Protected". That means AppGuard will run the .exe which is digitally signed as Guarded, correct? And all non-signed .exe-files will be denied?

2) Are all unknown (digitally signed) files that are allowed to launch as Guarded, executed with the flag set to Privacy = Yes so that they cannot access my Private folders (in this case OneDrive-directory)? Or are they launched with memory guard only?

13. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. Correct.

Yes. Correct.

Executed Guarded, MemGuarded and Privacy (YES); in other words full protections.

However, Locked Down and Protected modes should block execution of unsigned files and loading of *.dlls (process dependent) from User Space.

You have to execute unsigned files manually using "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded" or exclude them from User Space (NO) [create an exception].

If you create an exception for a User Space program, it is NOT equivalent to adding it to System Space; some level of Guarding and MemGuarding will still be applied. For example, if an unsigned program is excluded from User Space, then if it executes a Guarded App then the remainder of the run sequence should be Guarded from the moment the Guarded App is executed. Same vice-versa. Details on this are sort of sketchy since I submitted a bug pertaining to it...

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thank you! Especially the bit where you clarified that "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded" still sets 'Privacy = Yes' flag on the executed file!

That means all digitally signed files that are not on my 'Guarded' list and the exceptions "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded" cannot access my private folders when I execute them.

Again, many thanks!

15. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

It you use either of those options, if they turn out to be ransomware, then they will encrypt User Space files and\or the MBR (e.g. Petya, Satana).

I wouldn't use "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded" without light virtualization (Shadow Defender, Sandboxie or VM) or rollback (Rollback Rx Home or Reboot Restore Rx).

Using User Space Launches - Guarded incorrectly will result in a messy clean-up of User Space and could encrypt your data if you are not disciplined about saving files to Private Folders.

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Agreed. The scenario I made up was simply a way for me to make sure I got an accurate answer to the knowledge I was searching for. I'm sure there are ways to bypass even the protection of AppGuard, hence layered protection is essential, just as you describe it!

17. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Locked Down mode - and don't use "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded" w\o virtualization or snapshot\rollback capability.

AppGuard protects data loss by blocking malicious process execution.

Vitualization \ snapshot-rollback restores system to a clean state.

Winning combination...

18. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm not really worried about my OS in general, but specific files. I've used Sandboxie with AppGuard for a few years and they were a great team.

... if I get infected I'd wipe my PC and re-install Windows. I backup all important personal files on a "cold drive" and OneDrive anyway. :)

Do you by any chance have a list of additional system processes I could add as 'Guarded' without breaking the OS? I've 'Guarded' nearly all 3rd party applications (except one that isn't facing the Internet).

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Why would I add them to User Space instead of just Guarding them? My protection level is 'Protected' - won't the files be Guarded either way? I suspect my knowledge is lacking here.

Executed from User Space (the way you suggest by setting the files to User Space) = Guarded
    Set as Guarded = Guarded

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  20. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

It is additional protection against damage to User Space and registry (e.g. HKCU for fileless malware like Poweliks, Kovter) when a file is executed Guarded from user Space. In essence, it blocks the run sequence if any of the vulnerable processes shipped with Windows is abused. And the vast majority of the time, vulnerable processes aren't used legitimately by malicious files.

21. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, but what is the difference from when I add the same process to the 'Guarded' list in 'Protected mode'-level? The process will be Guarded either way. It's just two ways of 'Guarding' the .exes?

Also, BIG thanks for the list of processes!

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Did I add them correctly with the wildcard and all?

I take it as it is better to add applications to User-Space when in Locked-down mode so they never start, but when I'm running in Protected Mode it won't make a difference? Processes will be Guarded either way I use 'Guarded' tab or 'User-space' tab?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  23. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. c:\windows\*\vulnerable_process.exe saves a lot of time using the wildcard.

24. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Either way works. Adding vulnerable processes to User Space (YES) would just stop a browser exploit run sequence earlier - that's all. Also, it make sense if you execute a lot of unknown files from User Space. It just adds an additional layer of protection.

Why allow an unknown process to run in the first place ? It might result in clean-up of User Space and\or missing User Profile files.

25. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Can wildcards be used widely?

Like *Regsvcs* AppGuard will Guard every file named Regsvc as it was in User-Space and not just the particular .exe I could've added after the string?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.