AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know, but it doesn't work well for the majority

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks for testing that. But after doing some more reading, I am now unsure: Is it really necessary to add the C:\Portableapps to User Space. Maybe it is just best to add any portable internet facing / office apps to the Guarded Apps list (e.g. LibreOffice Portable, VLC Portable)? Your solution of adding your portable apps to C:\Program Files (x86) effectively puts them in legitimate system space ... If I just don't add C:\Portableapps to User Space, AG will effectively ignore them also? Or is there additional security to be gained by putting this directory in User Space?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. Peter2150

No it isn't necessary to add the folder to user space. Yes do add any internet apps to the guard list. But if you don't add them as I said, guarded apps won't be able to write to that folder.

For example early on I was puzzled by Adobe Acrobat failing. Turned out it was trying to write to a user space folder. I had to add the folder as an exception to the settings under guarded apps. Not to the user space folder.

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Hi Peter,

did you want to say it was trying to write to a system space folder?

5. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

OK thanks - I think I'm getting the hang of it. Thanks for all your help so far.

6. Peter2150

Bingo, you are correct, it was trying to write to Common Files in the Program Files(X86) area.

7. Peter2150

Your are welcome Paul, and as you can see I do get myself confused at times.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Correct, but I just wanted to point out, that in a way, isolation apps like Sandboxie and AG work like a HIPS but without the alerts. But some people actually like to see alerts, in order to make informed decisions about if apps behaves strangely, and if they are most likely to be malware.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I forgot to change AppGuard from Locked Down to Install before performing a minor Firefox program update. I did not get any errors during the update. However, I see in the AppGuard Activity Report that some actions were blocked during the update. Firefox seems to be working fine now.

Do you think that any damage to the Firefox update occurred?

Firefox apparently does not have a 'Repair' option. However, it does have some sort of 'Reset' option. The only True 'Repair' is Un-Install/Re-Install.

Thanks in Advance.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Agreed. I have experienced this many times lol. Not a problem after lowering to Install mode.

11. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thanks. I took your advice. I planned on the worst (I manually backup bookmarks, Firefox profile folder, took screenshots of installed extensions, took screenshots of installed extension settings, etc.).

However, I decided as an 'easy' option to use MozBackup 1.5.1 (Portable version). Prior to this, I had never used MozBackup.

With AppGuard set to 'Install', I uninstalled Firefox, rebooted, reinstalled Firefox using the Firefox Offline Installer, rebooted and then restored Firefox with the MozBackup that I had done prior to the Firefox uninstall. Everything seems to be back 'exactly' like it was before I updated Firefox this morning. All of my extensions are there with their original settings/configurations, my home page is the same, etc.

MozBackup made the whole process very 'easy'.

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Sometimes AG takes a long time for it's protection to enable after the desktop has loaded. It would allow malware to run if it somehow got on the computer before rebooting. Does anyone else experience this?

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Don't really know. How did you notice this?

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Does AG tray Icon not look normal at normal desktop...?

16. Cutting_Edgetech

It's easy to notice because the AG tray icon has an X on it for about 20 seconds after all my other security software has already loaded.

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Oh, X on it. Not as I recall. Like the red X when Off..? I'll pay attention...

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, the red X when protection is OFF.

19. Cutting_Edgetech

This was reported a long time ago, but no one has mentioned it since that i'm aware of. I was just curious what behavior other users are seeing.

20. Peter2150

Appguard generally doesn't come on until the network is on and it can check it's license. I don't see it as a big deal

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Well, I was thinking the same thing you did Pete, but if I have no network connection AG still comes on. I think AG does not enable itself until after it has conducted it's license check. I would prefer that AG enables itself before conducting the license check in case some malware somehow got on the user's machine, and attempts to run at startup.

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Barb, and I finally solved the mystery of why I keep having to enter my license information over, and over again when doing a full image restore with an image that already has AG installed, and registered. Barb has reset my license twice in the past few months. I contacted her right after it happened, and she said she finally tracked it down. Their license system monitors any hardware changes to the user's machine, and if certain hardware changes occur then it makes the user enter their license info again like they would for a new machine. The only major problem I see with their system is it monitors your external drives, and that is exactly what has been causing me to have to enter my license info over, and over again. I have several external hard drives that I plug, and unplug from my machines. I usually keep 3 of them plugged in. If the same hard drives are not plugged into the machine, hard drives have been removed, or additional hard drives have been plugged into the machine when doing an image restore then the license integrity monitor (that's what i'm calling it) will make the user enter their license info again as though it is a new machine. This in turn sometimes makes it look like the user is using their license on multiple machines when the user is only using the license on 1 machine, or the assigned number of machines for that license. I have asked Barb to see if they can only monitor C drive, or the drive containing the OS. I don't see why they need to monitor my external hard drives which I plug in by USB port. This has caused AG to disable itself on 2 occasion when surfing the net so it does not only occur when rolling one's machine back. I have seen other users report having to reenter their license info so I thought I would let the community know in case they are having the same problem.

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Wow! A very bad from BRN. I think AG should monitor mobo, processor and system drive/partition only.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

I agree.

Edited 6/16 @ 8:59: I don't think they are spying, or doing any funny business. I just think they need to monitor the mobo, processor, and system drive like you said.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Oh I also think they aren't spying or something, no. I'm truly convinced they are a respectable and trustworthy firm, just saying they need to change how they monitor computers for licensing concerns and prevent those activation issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.