AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

and ESET was quiet....wonder how my anti-exe would react. Thanks....good to know. Yeah, I wonder how others get nailed. Were you in Shadow Mode at the time. Currently, I'm SBIE'd in Shadow Mode ... I know.. why ask about AppGuard preventing as I'm reboot restore.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Eset actually detected it as soon as I closed the third prompt. I disabled Eset to see if AG would block it.

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

So, ESET had it detected first as a known signature ?

4. Cutting_Edgetech

If I remember correctly Eset blocked it by IP instead of by malware signature. My guess is Eset had already detected malware from that IP before, and added the IP to their block list.

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

:thumb: Does your friend that gets nailed run Eset Ooops off Topic :isay:

6. Cutting_Edgetech

He was using the free version of AVG the last time I removed infections from his computer. That was almost 2 years ago. I know he switched to Kaspersky right after that. I moved a considerable distance away from him, and I haven't asked him if he still gets infected all the time. He was infected by a botnet at that time, and his ISP cut off his internet service. They actually sent him a letter in the mail warning him of the infection, and informing him he was responsible for being part of the botnet. I don't remember the exact wording they used. It was no scam mail. I think maybe they thought at first he was actively participating in the botnet on his own free will. That was the last infection I removed from this computer. He had one hell of a rootkit on his computer with the botnet which I think was part of the infection downloaded by the botnet. He had around 70 detections on his machine from HMPA, and MBAM. I tried to get him to reformat, but he didn't want to. I spent 3 hours before I was able to remove all the infections I could detect. I learned to appreciate rescue disk that run AV's during boot. I also had to do quite a bit of the removal manually.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I really wish AppG would respect my system time and date settings and show (for example) the date for today as 6/4/15 and not 4/6/15.

Other apps I use do respect the settings. (Did mention it to Barb once)

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I have never experienced the bug you are experiencing. That is strange indeed. What OS are you using? Are you using any other security software that may be conflicting with AG? I think you listed the dates backwards in your post above ;)

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

In UK it is dd/mm/yyyy.

That is what my system settings are.

It is not a bug as such, it is just that AppG doesn't seem to have been written to take them into account.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, I did not realize that is the standard for listing the date in UK. I rarely see the date listed like that here in the US. Sometimes I will see it listed like that on forms, but that's about it. I guess it's the same deal with the US using miles, and yards when Europe uses kilometers, and meters. We have to always be different here in the US :)

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

AppG is the only app I use that doesn't respect them.

Emsisoft and MBAM, for example, both show logs, updates etc with the dates as per my system settings.

A software shouldn't overrule or ignore these system settings.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Be interesting if Barb chimes in but my guess would be where Emsisoft and MBam are authored, where Appguard is authored here in the DC area an I think a lot of Blueridge custormers probably use the US standard.

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The American date format, created by Yoda it was ;)

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Ok Peter, do your Emsisoft update/scan logs show the American format which your system settings have ..mm/dd/yyyy ?

Mine show MY system settings dd/mm/yyyy

That is because most softwares respect users date format settings... AppG doesn't.. and it should.

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

We europeans use day.month.year format I think mostly, but I am not so sure about english ones.If they have slashes like americans separating their date format instead periods. This is anyways no biggie for me and I am happy with how AppGuard is, as it is with this feature of being all americanized. ;)

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Last I heard England (UK) was part of Europe !!

Yes we too use day month year.

Americans use month day year.

I want AppG to do what other softwares do, show the date in the way that my system is set to show it.

17. Peter2150

My Emsisoft log dates are of the month day year format.

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

..and my Emsisoft log dates are day month year format.

So AppG isn't respecting my system settings.

19. faircot

faircot Registered Member

Not here it doesn't. I'm in the UK with the system set to d/m/y but EAM stubbornly refuses to accept that despite reinstalling, displaying the date as m/d/y. Strange.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

See your pm's so we don't take this thread off topic.

21. Cutting_Edgetech

I reported recently that anything I add to the guarded apps list from the SysWOW64 folder disappears after a reboot. I have added the following multiple times: cscript.exe, wscript.exe, cmd.exe, rundlll32, powershell.exe, and powershell_ise.exe I checked my policy file because Barb said it could possibly be a GUI bug, but that's not the case. None of the the above that I have added from the SysWOW64 folder is in my policy file. I hope this bug can be fixed soon.

22. Cutting_Edgetech

I also have a Windows Powershell installation in the Window's winsxs folder. I wonder if that is something that should be guarded by policy, and/or by Anti-Exploit applications.

23. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Can someone explain this event for suspicious activity when my protection was set to "off"? Thanks!

dja2k

Attached Files:

24. Peter2150

It's not saying it activily stopped anything, just telling you how many things it has stopped in total.

25. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

:( Darn so that's what it is, thanks Pete!

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.