AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Same, seemed like I was clicking on nothing.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Also, the toaster message remained on the screen. I think it should go away immediately after clicking on the link, or say something like saving settings.

3. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

So you're saying that you've seen the number go down with this latest version of AppGuard? Will you send me some screen shots?

4. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I agree. Don't want to hold up the release for this though.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

When is the projected release date?

6. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hopefully first thing next week. The change to close the toaster message when that link is clicked is a one-liner, but if we go through another build there is some test overhead no matter how small the change. If we find we have to make a build for any other reason, it will be in there.

7. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Absolutely that number went down. Will post screenshots if this happens again, might take 2 or 3 days for it to occur again though.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thank you for the info!

9. Unit/module test (development) - System/integration test (dev) - Functional acceptance test (user) - Regression test (user) - (Cross)Platform compatibility test (operations) - Production acceptance test (oper)

A lot of manhours for disabling/removing one line of code :D

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I guess we better make any request, or offer any advice we may have as early as possible from now on.

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

What does Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129> mean.
    Why does writing to cryptoguard require preventing.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

It blocked it per AG policy. Web applications are not permitted to write to the system space. It's dangerous to allow web applications to write to the system space. The cryptoguard folder is located in the system space. You could make an exception, but i'm more interested in knowing what the purpose of the cryptoguard folder is before doing so. I think it belongs to HMPA if I remember correctly. I also have HMPA installed, and have the same folder.

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, it's not intuitive knowing when web apps writing to system space crosses a (danger) line. Should I simply presume AG is all knowing and knows best. Maybe HMPA needs data from Firefox ?
    How can I tell if the blocking event is preventing a legitimate operation. e.g.

03/06/15 14:08:54 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    03/06/15 14:07:02 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  14. meatouph

meatouph Guest

1) In reference to posts #2799, #2800, #2821 Have you been able to reproduce this bug?
    2) Some time ago I read that even if Event Log tickboxes were unchecked in Alerts tab AdGuard was still logging into event log. Has this been fixed?

Thanks for any info. Also sorry, I can't test those betas. I need more stable environment than usually.

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I've added appguardagent to power apps before reading about folder exception. #2915
    Still getting....with agagent added to pw apps.
    03/07/15 12:42:59 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    03/07/15 12:40:56 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    03/07/15 11:53:15 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    03/07/15 11:51:31 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    03/07/15 11:48:17 Prevented process <Firefox> from writing to <c:\windows\cryptoguard\bcd6a129>.
    So, this is a known issue and the suggested work around is ?
    Do I want to allow Firefox writing to cryptoguard....admittedly, I have no idea what / why communication is trying between FF and HMA
    03/07/15 12:50:43 AppGuard was unable to query its license for an extended period. The function call has failed, or returned a false condition. Error: 0
    03/07/15 12:50:42 Protection level is set to <off>.
    I simply reset protection lv to Lockdown. What's going on ?
    Does Lockdown or HMA or antiexecutable prevent license query ?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  17. Cutting_Edgetech

You should never have to add AppGuards own executables as power apps.

I think you will have to ask the developers of HMPA why FF is trying to write to the cryptoguard folder.
    I don't think that has anything to do with HMPA. I have been having the same problem with the license query issue. I reported it to Barb, and she said she was going to look at the server to see if she could discover the problem.

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hi C_E
    Okay, I've removed appguardagent from power apps. I was only testing ag added to pw app based upon.
    << Typically only other security software products should be added as power applications and only if AppGuard is indicating that it is blocking the security product's operation >> Seemed like AG was blocking FF communication with HMPA
    So, I'll have to pursue folder exception #2915 and or Firefox writing to cryptoguard
    and Barb will see our license query issue here.
    Thanks.....what have you done about Firefox writing to cryptoguard

19. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm not having a problem with Firefox writing to the Cryptoguard folder at the moment. I'm using HMPA build 155 with AG beta 4.2.6.1 on Windows 7X64 Ultimate.

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay... OK so, same bug since Sept. By Ignore you mean within AG = Ignore Message or just simply Ignore.
    HMPA dev states #4315
    <<If you get attacked by crypto-ransomware, CryptoGuard won't be able to help you as AppGuard is interfering with the rollback mechanism. Can you make an exclude to C:\Windows\CryptoGuard\ folder in AppGuard?>>

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello pegr
    back at AG ... let me see if I follow #4318
    OK I've added Read Write Exception for C:\Windows\CryptoGuard\ via Settings and to User Space I've added c:\programdata\blue ridge networks\appguard Yes
    Q: c:\programdata Yes is already in User Space. Why do I also need c:\programdata\blue ridge networks\appguard
    *....will above satisfy with 4.1 or do I need 4.2 beta

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It's C:\Windows\CryptoGuard\ that you need to include in the user-space definition, not C:\programdata\blue ridge networks\appguard.

Have a look at section 2.2 in the getting started guide in post #5 on page 1 for a more detailed explanation, but ignore the remark about Windows and Program Files folders not being allowed. Don't know if the change has been made in the 4.2 beta, but try it in 4.1 and see if it works.

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Nope, C:\Windows\CryptoGuard\ not working in 4.1....so, C:\Windows\CryptoGuard\ works in 4.2 beta ?
    So, C:\Windows is allowed for User Space but, it's unknown what version allows ..
    Well, hopefully Bard will chime in ... Thanks for your help.
    EDIT <<AppGuard 4.2 beta allows Windows folders to be included in the user-space definition. I don't know when the change to allow this was made so not sure about AppGuard 4.1.>>#4323

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Aha! I'm still on AG 4.1 with 155
    So, with 4.2 and 155 you're not seeing AppGuard Activity Report info re cryptoguard....and you have not added Exception nor User Space.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

I made HMPA a power app, and I made surfright a trusted publisher with the following settings: Guarded No, Privacy Off, Memory Off, Install Allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.