AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I can't read it, but I will take your word for it. Are you using Polish version of OS? If the file is not digitally signed it should not have been able to execute at all in medium mode of protection.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the info Barb. I did some searching on Google, and never got any relevant search results.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

As to the Shadow Defender, ty adding it to guarded apps and see how it goes. If it's okay leave it that way. What you are doing with that is making sure there is no memory communication between the real disk and the shadow disk.

On the other question apps run from Program FIles, but no from program data.

Pete

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I would be afraid to add Shadow Defender to the guarded apps list. You better do it on a test machine first. You might get a BSOD. I don't think you need to add it though to begin with.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If my understanding of how SD works is correct, there is no benefit to adding any SD executables as guarded apps.

Redirection into the SD disk sector cache is managed by a filter driver that operates below the level of the Windows file system. It isn't a requirement for any SD executables to be running when the system is in Shadow Mode. The SD executables enable the user to manage SD's program features, but they aren't what handles the virtualization itself.

As SD works at such a low level, AppGuard won't even be aware that it is running inside a virtual system when SD is in Shadow Mode. In any case, it isn't a good idea to guard security programs and system utilities that work at a low level within the system. By their nature, they have to be trusted to work unhampered; otherwise, there is a risk they may not work correctly, which could result in system instability.

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Aha! Great info....!! :) Thanks !!!

7. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I see a few users here still run MBAE with Appguard, even though throughout this thread the general consensus seems to be "up to you".., so i have a few unrelated questions;

Does Appguard run as well with MBAE as it does with HMPA?
    Does there seem to be a major update (major version number change) for Appguard coming in the very near future that would warrant someone not to buy an Appguard license at the moment?

regards.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They run great together...

About the license depends of your needs...

9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Have you read this #2592

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I have recently used MBAE, and HMPA with AG without any conflicts on Windows 7X64 Ultimate. There is currently no set release date for AG 5 as stated by Barb in post 2592. Edit: Sorry, bjm already referenced post 2592 above.

11. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

@bjm_ @Cutting_Edgetech Thank you. I must have missed that post.

They do deserve a stable income and ill be happpy to pay yearly subscriptions to them which generally, I dont like to do.

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I believe you asked if there is any reason to purchase v4 if v5 may be released. v4 is one time license fee with continued support and bug fixes. v5 may simply be a change to subscription fee. So, there may be a reason to buy v4 unless you know v5 will remain one time fee and / or v5 will somehow re-invent the wheel.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I have a prog in User Space. The prog sometimes runs a bat file. AG always blocks the bat file. AG allows the prog to start the bat file in the "Install Mode" but doesn't remember the action and doesn't allow this in "Locked Down" or "Medium" modes. AG allows this only in "Allow User Space Launches" but I don't want it.

Can I somehow make AG to allow this prog to run this bat file in "Locked Down" or "Medium" mode without allowing User Space Launches?

Thank you.

14. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Make it a power app.

15. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Yes thats a very good point. Ill keep an eye on this thread a bit more now. I wonder how they plan on improving this ? AG has always been rock solid and feature complete enough in my opinion. But i hope to be surprised :thumb:

I wish they could improve the Activity Report a bit better though, they could somehow better inform the user why and when an event was triggered and is it; expected/unexpected/unknown/safe to ignore.

16. Solarlynx

Thanks. I tried it. I cannot make the bat-file "power app". When I made the prog "power app" it anyway cannot start the bat-file in "Medium" or "Locked Down" modes. Anyway I'm reluctant to make the prog "power app". Is there any way just to allow the prog in "User Space" to start the bat-file?

17. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

EPIC fail! For a product like AppGuard, which does not require constant signature updates, a subscription model is just wrong. A perpetual licence with either (a) charges for major upgrades, or (b) 1 year free updates is a much better option for this type of software.... Unless AppGuard 5 is bringing some kind of cloud scanning or regular signature updates (which seems unlikely, given your comments about expected changes in v5).

I won't be recommending AppGuard any more if a subscription model is introduced.

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Try add the app folder to User Space in AppGuard and make that folder to have an include flag No. And if that does not work, but it should I think since it is in user space. Then make it also an exception folder with read/write access.

19. Solarlynx

Thank you!

I did it for bat-file, it works.

20. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I'm glad to be of help. Allowing launches from user space from the tray icon is "global", possibly dangering your security if surfing same time in internet and all, so that way you allow that launch only to that bat file.

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'd need to test this myself to see if a solution can be found that you'd be happy with. Is there a trial version of this program available?

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I sort of agree, but it's a worse epic fail if they stop offering the product, and to stay in business they need the product to pay for itself. I'd rather pay a subscription fee then to see Appguard go the way of so many other products.

23. Solarlynx

Thank you, sorry there's no a trial anywhere. Anyway the solution is found.

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also prefer the current license solution, but...

25. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

How does AppGuard exactly protect dlls? For example you can't block access to kernel32.dll since it is a kernel driver (I think, it's a kernel driver), so how can AppGuard protect kernel32.dll for example?
    With Sandboxie you can't actually block access to kernel32.dll driver as Curt from Invincea confirmed, and that is Sandboxie's limitation (well, for example, Google Chrome by itself does not have access at all to kernel32.dll, and that's major advantage over Sandboxie, however, Google Chrome cannot protect you against keylogging, remote webcam/MIC access, Clipboard hijack, screen scraping, steal files, network shares access, while Sandboxie when tightly configured can and does protect you with start/run restrictions).

Does AppGuard protect and how exactly AppGuard protects against keylogging, remote webcam/MIC access, Clipboard hijack, screen scraping, steal files, network shares access?

So, how does Appguard do it, how can and can AppGuard at all protect kernel32.dll, if so how, it would mean that it offers wider protection than Sandboxie with start/run restrictions-hopefully Barb_C will see this question and hopefully it will be answered-this has tortured me for the past 3 months, I was actually scared to ask this question, because I thought it's not appropriate to ask this question here on AppGuard thread, or it is appropriate to ask this question here on AppGuard thread?

Also, can AppGuard protect win32k.sys as well? What about t2embed.dll?
    Big thanks to all.

And, you're right Cutting Edgetech, I also think AppGuard should expand its memory protection on more advanced exploits and actually on all forms of memory based exploits, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.