AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

My take is that AG is already one of if not the best Security one can purchase. Not much more they can add to a Pro or Ultimate that can change the security aspect of it. As far as stripping features out, I guess it would be possible for future versions but couldn't be done with your existing install of it. So, if one has the best security app already installed and the install can't be stripped of features, I don't see what the fuss is. Am I missing something?

2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

True, AppGuard Rocks :thumb:

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes. I would always try to run the latest version of any security software I have purchased. Generally they are upgraded by the vendor to provide better protection, better compatibility with other software programs and improved CPU usage/time/I/O Reads and Writes and new features.

For me, version 3 of AG was a huge step forward in terms of useability and stability; I did not stay with version 2!

On your premise I should be happy using AVP 3.5 (the old KAV version) or Defensewall version 1.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

MBR Guard driver remains after uninstall of Appguard.
    How do I safely remove without restoring an image?
    Can it simply just be deleted?

Attached Files:

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Where's this MBR Guard driver located and what's it's name? You should be able to just delete it.

Thank you.

Later...

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Windows/system32/drivers/mbr guard

Thanks, I'll try and just delete it.

7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I was speaking in terms of Security, not additional candy features or cpu/io which have nothing to do with the type of security AG offers. I also stated that there is not much more can be added to provide more security just in the same way there isn't more to offer with LUA or SRP. I could be totally wrong but it was just the way I am looking at it. I do understand your concerns about the price increase though.

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

We don't know if AppGuard will be compatible with Windows 8 for instance. What if Blue Ridge Networks all of a sudden release a 'new' product named AppGuard Pro next year and we who bought 'life-time' licenses cannot upgrade to Windows 8 without losing the possibility to use AppGuard (since it might not be compatible). We're stuck on 'ordinary' AppGuard which cannot be used for Windows 8.

I think we need re-assurances that BlueRidge aren't planning on doing this. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i agree keep the price the way it is with the new pricing then keep the update the way they are now.

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Of course we will know more when Barb or Eirik chime it. I would assume owners prior to the new license agreement would be grandfathered in.

11. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i thought the same thing with the grandfathered in to the best version they would offer. well have to wait and see.

12. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I was thinking about trying this but at $39.95 for 1 PC or $89.95 for 3 PCs, it's just too expensive. These types of products, while not fringe, are certainly not mainstream and appeal to a certain subset of PC users. At these prices I don't see them selling that many copies (which makes a lifetime license much less useful, since not as many people will buy it and it's less likely to stay around/be developed).

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am staying with appguard in all my computers and hitman pro to confirm that my systems are clean:thumb: :thumb:

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Eirik isnt talking about upgrades to the current product but more along the lines of the current evolving into a more comprehensive one. And that should require a different pricing structure. I have no problems with that. As far as the 3 computer price, that is still very good for a top quality product like AppGuard.:thumb:

15. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Me too. I have no intentions of dropping AG. It's just too good of an app and it works great on every machine I've put it on. The new cost is just too prohibitive for most of the people I deal with; myself included. Most of these people for example can't afford to take their pc in to be fixed or cleaned so I do it for free along with purchasing an AG license for them if necessary.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Agreed. AppGuard is a masterpiece which I don't intend to let go of on any of my computers at home. AppGuard being a masterpiece, that's why I'm worried about licensing issues in the future when I've bought licenses for the use on 6 machines. I've not yet recieved an answer from a previous post from any official though.

Is it possible Blue Ridge Networks will develop a 'different' product with the release of Win 8 next year, hence making the life-time licenses of AppGuard obsolete as you can't use it on Win 8 (if it's incompatible)?

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the popularity of AppGuard is just now taking off like a rocket. How it will be future developed is up to Blue Ridge. But I dontthink they will do anything to it or future models that would not make it enticing to consumers. They are a great company and know how to market and not just create.

19. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

No offense to Eirik but I think Blue Ridge Networks is cutting their own throats with a price change like they've instituted. No one's going to want to pay that. Like has been stated, Blue Ridge Networks is a company and they're out to make profits but you can price yourself right out of a market. Imagine the sticker-shock of an individual who's heard about AppGuard...ventures to purchase it...then sees how much it would now cost to outfit their home network.

IMO, Blue Ridge Networks is too little known to justify such a huge price increase. They can't help but harm themselves in the long run.

Later...

Bob

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Shadek..
    Would other security apps like mbam or avast need to be added to exclusions and if so would they need to be added to user space exclusion or guarded apps exception folders?.I like appguard but i do find it a little confusing. :(
    ellison

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

trojan is with you jmonge on this one.:thumb:

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

we have same security set up my friend light strong secure and trouble free:thumb: :thumb:

23. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Feel free to add any directory that's used by a _known_ security application to exclusion. However, if the AV/AM you're using is using the user space for updates, you might want to exclude that directory from being protected or guard the application after your preferences.

I know AppGuard might be confusing, but usually, using MBAM or Avast isn't a problem. Having the security application installed in c:\program files\xxxxx\ makes AppGuard disregard the protection in some ways to be put simple and MBAM and Avast will work fine. :) Either way, if AppGuard is indeed causing you trouble, try lowering AppGuard protection to 'normal' and check if it works fine then. It should work fine at 'high' settings though.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have AppGuard at high security level with no problems:thumb: ofcourse it is runing alone only with hitman pro ondemand;)

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The Home version I would think has a very small userbase; apart from Wilders it is rarely mentioned on other security forums. So mention this program to the average computer user and recognition will be close to zero.

Now the Enterprise version may be different and this version is probably the one which makes the bucks for Blue Ridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.