AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Good for you. I wrote it and I'm not sure I understand :D

Seriously I'm not sure it is a real issue. Sandboxie redirects activities from sandboxed apps to a container file so if the sandboxed app needs to write to a file/folder a copy of the real system directory etc it will be created in the sandbox. You can over-ride that with direct access to the actual directory or allow quick recovery to the real system via Sandboxie settings. I just wanted to know if a guarded folder re-created inside the container was still guarded. Got that now so I'll shut up and stop confusing everyone!

Cheers

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. Both Sandboxie and Appguard, take a bit of thinking about to wrap your mind around them, and they are very different.

But that aside they complement each other very very well, and both are excellent.

Pete

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Hello, I've recently installed AppGuard, and I'm on Windows 7 x64. During the install, Windows prompted me of installing an unsigned driver. Is it normal? Thanks :D

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I'm on Win 7 x64 too but don't recall receiving the prompt but might have. Which driver was it?

Thanks

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

im running 32bit and i didnt have a promt

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Has anyone had any problems with the new Power apps feature on XP Pro x 32 SP3? I'm not able to add an application as a Power App by navigating to the directory, and selecting it. I have to type in the full path. I've tried reporting it as a bug, but BRN cannot reproduce this. I tried uninstalling all other security software, and I rolled back to an earlier image. Nothing has worked. The beta build works fine, but the new release will not work for me. Every time I add an application as a Power App I get a blank field. Then when I reboot my machine the blank field is no longer there. I'm able to add applications to the trusted publishers list so some polices are being written to the policy file, but not policies related to Power Apps. I disabled self protection, and that did not help.

Attached Files:

7. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Yes, I have the same problem since day one of the release. I just thought it was my system and waited to see if anyone else got it. Well I see that you got it also.I'm using windows 7 and 64 bit......same problem indeed........:eek:

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and I don't have that problem.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Barb informed me today that they have discovered a bug with 64bit OS's where the user is unable to add X86 applications as Power Apps on 64 bit systems. I believe that was the bug anyways if I remember correctly. Could you check to see if its only x86 applications you are not able to add or is it also 64bit applications? If you could please send a bug report. I will send another bug report soon. I'm not sure what more information I can possibly send them, and they are unable to reproduce the issue i'm experiencing. We need to work together to make sure these issues are solved soon. The beta is still working fine for me though for the most part.

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Now I also experienced this, but it's to random, sometimes I can add a x86 application, but sometimes nothing is happening.

11. stackz

stackz Registered Member

No it's not normal. Both AppGuards x64 drivers, brnfilelock.sys and mbrguard.sys are digitally signed and pass verification.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Actually according to another user, it's normal :). I've also found another post in this thread having the same experience.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I havent experienced any problems adding x86 apps as power apps ...using windows 7 premium 64 bit.I wonder if the appguard event log shows anything?

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Installed AG on two systems windows 7 x32 both systems prompt for unsigned driver.In my case, it's signed by djohn and installed on both pc.:)

15. Netherserpent

Netherserpent Registered Member

What is the license terms like as of 2012 April? Is it 1 license for 3 PCs? Is the license for a lifetime on all future versions or just the current version (3.x+) or a yearly thing now?

Can't seem to find anything on this and the most up to date info is like a post from 2011 so I'm not sure if anything has changed lately. :doubt:

16. delah

delah Registered Member

Hi, Using 3.3.4.0 and I'm getting weird behaviour when adding a folder to Guarded Apps-Folder-Settings.
    I select folder and a blank line is added to the list with the drop down box available.
    If I accept this then go back to add a different folder, Appguard says "directory <> already exists" and refuses to add (another blank line) to the list.

Windows7 Enterprise x64. No UAC, MBAM on demand, Sandboxie added to power apps (only Internet facing apps sandboxed), Appguard Locked down .
    This also happens on High setting.

Can I go back to the previous version if this is a serious bug, without getting the on boot pop-up to upgrade?

Thanks

17. stackz

stackz Registered Member

@delah, this is a known bug that the developers are aware of. Until it's fixed, if the browse dialog is blank or it's showing the parent directory and not the actual directory you want, you'll have to manually type/edit the path.

18. delah

delah Registered Member

Thanks stackz, will try that later.:thumb:

19. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

In the bug that we've discovered (only 64-bit OSs are affected), you can add the x86 power application (and you can see it in the GUI), but it does not behave like a power application. This particular bug only occurs if there isn't a corresponding application in the 64-bit program files directory. So in the case where the application appears in both places, it is not a problem. Hopefully we'll have this fixed and a release containing this bug fix available soon.

20. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

The license is for all 3.x+. You will need to re-purchase when we release 4.0 (not currently on our road map - 3.4 to fix the power app bug should be released sometime in May).

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Delah, could you send them a bug report for this? Your info could still help the developers in finding a fix for the bug if it is a indeed a bug. Just send the bug report to AppGuard@BlueRidgeNetworks.com

22. lurker20

lurker20 Registered Member

Same here in windows 7 32bit. But I am able to add it successfully at 3rd or 4th attempt.

23. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

This is not a serious bug - just a nuisance. All you need to do is make sure the "Path" edit box at the bottom of the browse dialog contains what you want before clicking OK. Of course you can rollback to the previous version, but I'm sorry that you will still see the upgrade pop-up.

We hope to release an update as early as next week so please try to be patient.

24. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Maybe he can block AppGuard in his firewall so that he won't be getting a pop-up? :D

25. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I've just started a trial of AppGuard and am seeing errors in the log when I launch Chrome, can someone shed any light?

I am running Win 7 x64 with AppGuard set to 'High'.

It's weird because these DLL's don't even exist in the reported directory. As far as I can tell (have not played around much), Chrome is functioning correctly.

'Lockdown' mode was worse, I received a block on gcswf32.dll and the comical message:

:D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.