AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, I love how Blue Ridge Network actually grants you a true life-time license! Most companies claim they provide you with a life-time license but once you've activated the code on 3 machines and you're about to upgrade all three machines with new OS you're screwed. AppGuard is way passed this and does allow you to upgrade freely as long as you don't use your license on more than 3 machines at the same time! :)

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just installed AppGuard on Vista Business 32bit laptop. Am running latest SBIE as well. When trying to launch Opera or Firefox sandbozed, neither would launch but when I unchecked my browsers in guarded applications in AppGuard, now all is well. Is this the way I should ocnfigure AppGuard while running SBIE and thanks.

Gary

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

A nice thread with AppGuard settings along with Sandboxie settings should be created. The both of them together should be enough protection to defend against an eventual nuclear attack.

4. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Agreed! I was having problems running SBIE on my 32-bit and 64-bit machine even though I excluded C:\Sandbox from user space in AppGuard. After I changed the sandbox folder to a different partition on each machine the problems went away. I will be interested to know what settings others are using.

5. huntnyc

I will also and further I noted AppGuard was blocking some writes to some Lenovo utilites folders on my laptop. So, I am not really sure how to deal with these types of things. A guide to understanding what AppGuard is doing and how to handle these type of situations without having to lower protection level would be great and thanks again.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Here's a quick guide:

Click on settings for 'Exclusion folders'.
    1.png

Add the folders guarded applications (the ones you've added as 'Guarded Applications') should be allowed to write to.
    2.png

If you want AppGuard to completely ignore guarding some folders. Simly add the folder(s) in the tab that's shown in the picture and choose; include: NO
    3.png

8. huntnyc

Shadek,
    Thanks a lot for the brief but excellent guide. I would like to run this software but I still do not know what things in preventions logs to deal with. For instance I see services and controller was prevented to wrie to last known good.tmp and a similar message prevented ot write to a program files Lenovo subfolder. The only way I would know to deal with some of these preventions entries is if I can see some function on my laptop is obviously not working properly. Am I on the right track?

Gary

9. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I've considered giving AppGuard a try, but I've been hesitant because I'm also concerned with this.

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

More often than not, the log events and the stuff AppGuard stops does not affect the functionality of the running program itself. Here's an example of what I got today;

03/27/11 13:59:57 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:58:55 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:57:06 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:56:33 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:56:24 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:56:09 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:55:46 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:46:51 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.
    03/27/11 13:46:45 Prevented <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to memory of <COM Surrogate>.

Yet, I didn't notice it in reality when using my computer and kept doing important work-related calculations in Excel 2007. So I usually don't care about these messages unless the program I'm working with is obviously crippled by AppGuard, in which case I take counter-measurements in settings.

To make a long answer short Gary, the only time you need to deal with the log events are when functions on your laptop are obviously not working properly, so you're right on track!

Gabe

11. huntnyc

Shadek,
    Will keep it installed and consider placing it on my wife's laptop as well. Thanks a lot for your great help.

Gary

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

As long as she doesn't want anything new installed, no need to bother any settings! AppGuard usually only needs manual tweakings when someting new is about to install! (Windows updates are not included as these are installed automatically even when AppGuard is installed! :))

13. huntnyc

Yes, and thnaks. I only needed the couple of tweaks for Sandboxie on my setup.

Gary

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, that's largely true; but I find that AppGuard has to be disabled in order to apply Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates, otherwise the Malicious Software Removal Tool update fails.

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I also have to do this. When I was running MSE, I had to do it for some of it's updates as well. I attributed it to the fact that MS will for some updates use an external HD for the install package.

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I was not aware that AppGuard in some cases needed to be set to 'install-mode'. However, one thing I've noticed is that AppGuard sometimes needs to be disabled completely in order for something to install properly. In those cases setting AG to 'install-mode' is not enough.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree:thumb:

18. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Which includes the MSRT that fails as pegr stated. :thumb:

19. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I haven't observed this myself. Would you mind sending some event logs in next time? I know there are rare MS updates that conduct actions after restart that could be blocked by AppGuard. However, I have not observed consistent, regular interference with updates. I'm sure Barb knows better than I do.

Cheers,

Eirik

20. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I believe the next release of AppGuard will include one or more improvements in this area.

Cheers,

Eirik

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi Eirik,
    It has always been this way for me and Win updates, XP or Win 7. I guess I'm lucky that way. I say Win updates though it may actually be the way updates or selected for offer which would include updating Mickey Soft products if any. This is an option in the Win updates mechanism. The three that come to mind are, Dot Net, MSRT and MSE. There have been others but I couldn't say which ones for sure.

22. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Hi All,

Blue Ridge is implementing new pricing and licensing for AppGuard this Friday. Senior management wanted me to pre-announce this here at Wilders so folk here that still do not have a license can take advantage of current pricing before Friday (April 1st). Tell your friends.

Single Seat License: $39.95
    Three Seat License: $89.95

I believe licenses purchased after the new pricing is implemented may include changes in licensing terms/conditions. However, I myself need clarification. Meanwhile, I wanted to get word of the coming price increase to our friends at Wilders as soon as possible so folk can take advantage of existing pricing.

Cheers,

Eirik

23. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Wow! I'm sure glad that I have my license. That is a huge increase.

24. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah. :D I bought two 3-user licenses for 25 dollars each. :D

25. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yeah it is a big increase, but even at that price, it's a good deal.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.