AppDefend blocks all the leaktests!

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by [suave], Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

WOW,

I just tested AD against all the leaktests at firewallleaktester.com and it passed each test with ease.

I don't know of any firewall that can do that. :D

I got rid of outpost to get LNS, and now i'm thinking of ditching LNS and using AD only. What do you guys think?

2. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

How are you going to control what remote ports your app uses?? Or don't you care?
    Using a personal firewall gives you CONTROL over your applications!! A permit/deny, does not.

3. [suave]

nah... i don't really care. I've been using LNS's basic application filtering for a few months now. It's just a simple Allow/Deny. I don't go any further with rules for each app.

I only use trusted applications and I just like to decide which app uses the internet and which doesn't. Like, I caught adobe photoshop the other day trying to access the net. WTF... uhhh NO. LOL.

AD seems great for the way I use my PC.

Besides, I think Jason mentioned in this post that he might be addind some sort of feature to ghostwall which will allow to set some type of rules for certain applications. I think this is the same as what you are talking about right tony62?

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

And what about inbound protectiono_O o_O

5. [suave]

I got a router that has a built in firewall. As I understand from the topic i linked to above, I don't need inbound protection when I have a router. All I need to worry about is outbound then... o_O

6. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I have been using a hardware firewall (fortigate60) and Ghostsecurity for a few months now. System runs faster, and I have had zero problems. I think outpost is far to tight, and causes more problems then its worth. LNS is a good light firewall, but honestly, I would be happy with windows default firewall and Ghost or some sort of process control over a outpost, ect. I still think that inbound protection and process control is the only way to guard against threats. Lastly, you should be using firefox for browsing with java turned off (noscript extension).

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The thing is that a true firewall will filter incoming traffic, not just allow or deny. There are certain things that you never want to let in, ESPECIALLY if they were requested. Simple allow/deny app control isn't going to do that. LnS is going to give you a lot of flexibility with a bare minimum of resources. It can also give you some redundancy in DLL control, and such, should you need to, or accidently end up with, AppDefend disabled at some point. For me, LnS stays up 100% of the time, other apps may not.

Unless LnS is giving you problems, you're probably not going to save yourself anything by removing it. Besides, you may decide to create rules later on.. it is a good thing to do to increase security without adding more apps.

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Notok,

Some people don't really need to filter traffic in an advanced fashion, incoming our outbound. Whether this is because they use a router or a simple firewall is moot. AppDefend does allow you to filter to an extent traffic through alert dialogs, as long as you don't click ALLOW ALWAYS or BLOCK ALWAYS, you can see most connections and decide what you want to do. There will most likely be some small future enhancements to this process to make it a little bit easier to control within AppDefend itself.

With something like AppDefend protecting your system, restricting access to which sites an application can connect to is a little less worthwhile, as AppDefend blocks most ways to control other applications, as can be seen by it blocking the known leaktests. With a "firewall only" solution, I can see why you'd want to control to some extent the sites an application can visit but it isn't so important with something like AppDefend (some small cases withstanding).

Also as can be seen by the lack of security applications for x64, AppDefend/GhostWall is the only combo some people can rely on for that OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.