App filtering prob with 2.05p2

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by SimonW, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Hi,

I'm using XP SP2

Uninstalled the previous LnS run as a service utility
    Uninstalled previous LnS
    Rebooted
    Insalled 2.05p2
    ---Application Filtering now not working here :(
    ---Tried re-running the app filter patch to no effect :(

Any ideas?

Also,
    Does this version now remove the need to run the separate service utility ?

Many Thanks
    Simon

2. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

OK - update to my own post ;)

When I changed Options / Registry Keys from 'Per User' to 'Common to all users' application filtering is now working again... :) :)

Not sure why this might be the case - possibly as a result of the previous changes due to the service util settings, but I did follow a 'proper' uninstall route. Hope the info may be useful to others.

My other question still remains - does this update merge the 'run as service' util or do I still need to install it to gain that 'boot-time' protection?

Thanks
    Simon

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Simon,
    This is strange, there is normally no link between these two things.
    You just said "---Application Filtering now not working here ", what was the symptom exactly ? did you look at the console to see if there was an error message ?
    The new version doesn't include the "run as service" utility. This service is still in beta, and there is still some issues related to the FUS feature of XP.
    Another reason is that the new version is a just an update, with no major change to the GUI nor the delivery package.
    Anyway, even when included in Look 'n' Stop, the service will still need a separate exe. Only the batch files (for configuration) would no longer be necessary, because ithey could be included in the GUI of the Look 'n' Stop exe.

Frederic

4. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Thanks for the reply - I'll re-apply the service util then.

As for the filtering problem, applications just weren't showing up in either the 'active applications' listbox or in the 'authorised or blocked' list. (I completely forgot about the console debug window so have no info from this - sorry)

BTW due to other problems, I've had a couple of BSOD crashes recently, and it seems to me as though the 'allowed/blocked' list is only saved down to the registry when the program is exited normally (Exit button or windows shutdown) so I had to re-approve programs I'd already used at next boot after an abnormal system crash. I wonder why the programs flags aren't saved immediately, unless of course, they are, and it was just my machine behaving oddly due to the above problems :cool: )

Simon

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, all the options and configuration are saved only when the program exits normally. Except the ruleset content, you can save manually, because it is a separate .rls file.
    This is a design choice to avoid writing in the registry each time an option is changed. This supposes obviously there is no crash of the application...

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.