AOL vrisus shield base on Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ejr, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Someone in the comodo forum shared some links with me steering me towards AOL Virus Shield. Is this basically a free version of kaspersky?

Of course, it would take one heck of a product to get me to abondon NOD32.
    But a free version of KAS is pretty impressive.

Does anyone have the scoop on this product?

2. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Have you been away from Wilders for a while !!?? There are numerous discussions about it on here !!

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Yes, for the sake of my sanity, I stopped coming here as often. I find that if I spend too much time in security forums, I get paranoid. Then I end up pumping in time and money into trying out new security packages, I get frustrated when they don't work, slow down my system, or I simply can't figure them out. All the while, the security suite I have on my system is petty much already good enough because I don't have dangerous surfing habits anyway.

So in fact, you are correct, I haven't been at Wilder's nearly as much as I used to be.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I know exactly how you feel ejr, as I have tried many different programs myself, (all free though) and have finally settled on AVG Free 7.5, Spyware Terminator, and Comodo Firewall for my personal use and tastes. The reason I say this is that I had settled on using AOL Active Virus Shield and Comodo since AVS also had Spyware Protection, but in a thread in this forum I believe titled AOL AVS (Kaspersky) scan new and changed files only, and on the Kaspersky Website, I read KAS and AVS were possibly creating CHKDSK problems on some PC's. There are some people who don't think it's a big deal and perhaps limited to only a few users, but others who have had progressive CHKDSK problems and eventually errors obviously disagree. You be the judge after reading these threads, but my CHKDSK does take several minutes now to begin Phase Two of the CHKDSK scan. I liked everything about AVS and even reinstalled it once, but then after reading a few new posts in those same threads I uninstalled it again as I finally decided it just wasn't worth even the slightest chance that using it may cause problems down the road. Like I said you be the judge, but since your like me a safe safer who likes to try new software, I'll add I would love to have NOD32. However, the new AVG Free, ST and CPF is enough protection for me, and now all I have to do is keep out these Forums for awhile too. LOL.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I don't like posts like this. The guy just wants an answer. If this forum just becomes people redirecting to other threads, then it's gonna become useless.

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Well it doesn't take more than a few seconds to try the search option. It is standard practice on any forum to search before starting a new thread. If the poster had said that he hadn't found the answer during a search then fair enough. The idea of forums IS to redirect people to other threads if the topic is well covered in another thread - why go through it all again.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah its basically a cut down version of KAV. Its seems to be a great piece if software and as its free i've been installing it on many of my friends computers with no complaints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.