AOL Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

As most people know, AOL is now free for broadband users. I was checking it out today (impressive), but also noticed their Security-Suite is free as well now.

Basically it appears to be the full McAfee Suite, but modified to be - in my opinion - much less annoying and streamlined. So far, I am pretty impressed, it is feature packed yet seems to have almost no system drag. Being free is another big perk.

Anyone have any comments or experiences with it?

Edit, here is a link for it; http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't get it regarding free AOL dsl. You just hook it up and thats it? Unlimited net for free? Sorry if it sounds dumb but i never really had chance to ask anyone about this. No AOL around here either...

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That is my basic understanding of it. From the little I have followed the whole story, (never have been an AOL fan) they are hopeing to phase out their dial-up and go to Ad\advertisment based broad band only service.

4. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Only the AOL e-mail is FREE. AOL is owned by Time Warner. The traditional AOL model in the US uses 56K analog modem. However, the user can subscribe to DSL or Cable internet via AOL for the DSL/Cable fee, plus a few additional $ for the AOL contents.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AOL still charges for internet access but theyre offering their software free.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

7. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

All AOHELL software is junk and should never be allowed on a pc. Their software is bloated crap and causes nothing but problems, including their Security Suite. There are many other free programs available that are much better, I have had to remove this junk "Security Suite" from more than a few pcs due to it crashing the pc.

Oh, and free..... nothing is free..... AOHELL takes users data for their own use which is never fully disclosed. In my opinion AOHELL is spyware.... they did join together with a known spyware company to make a spyware removal program didn't they? If you value your privacy stay far away from anything AOHELL related.

:)

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I heard that uninstalling this AOL Security Center is a journey to hell and back, with battle on every second of the way. :eek:

Other than that it seems a decent product.

9. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Wrong, times change, AOL for broadband is 100% free now. Period.

I had Zero issues uninstalling the security suite during testing. Seems like a very competant package for free!

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

*shudders* i am not an AOL fan my mom WORSHIPS it she won't us any other browser.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I refuse to believe that AOL is offering Broadband for free. If that were so, it would put Comcast, Verizon, and Earthlink out of business. If ANYONE were to offer Broadband for free, Comcast, Verizon, and Earthlink would counter with incredible offers of their own; so far, I have not heard a thing.

My guess is, and common sense tells me, that AOL is offering many products and services for free now that they used to charge for, but not the Broadband itself.

Acadia

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  12. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i would not use aol for broadband even if they were giving it out for free

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

They are not giving away free broadband or dial up just their AOL software.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't understand how AOL security center could have McAfee because they are offering Kaspersky Lite free of charge not McAfee. Great day for Kaspersky to make this deal with AOL. This will make Kaspersky a household name and a lot of users will want more than the Lite version of KAV 2006.

I have had AOL free for a year now because I have Road Runner ISP from Time Warner Cable. I haven't been using it but I would like the mail ...wonder if I can get old screen name from years ago when I first got a computer and had AOL dialup for two years (and then got Road Runner broadband)?

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

If anyone reading this values the performance of their computer, my personal suggestion to you it not to install AOL. It came pre-installed on my PC and the uninstaller diddn't even recognize that it was installed. I had to download the installation, install it, uninstall it and then run a cleanup program. Ohh, then I had to manually remove folders and registry entries. Wasted a lot of time.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I begged a family member not to use AOL, they did not listen. :'(

Their free trial installed AV was a month out of date, only Windows Firewall an MS patches needed installing :rolleyes: and they asked me to fix it for them. o_O Fix it? Well, I guess you will be keeping your AOL yes or no? Yes we will (more :'( :mad: ) Well o. k. then :rolleyes: so installed security suite and Check up and put everything I could on automatic pilot. :oops:

Better then nothing for those who refuse to believe:ouch: :ouch:

I will check their machine upon every visitation. :rolleyes: Still not happy about that AOL :p

17. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

AOL Security Suite is (only barely) adequate for a newbie, as it's easy and simple to use. But its bloated, slow crud. Anyone above the lowest level of knowledge should use lighter free tools.

AOL in general is awful, and their reputation in my mind is gone. It's been trashed since approx AOL 5.0 when they started getting bloated.

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I hear ya (you). :ouch: :(

19. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

So it's like Norton for free!? Hallelluia! Praise the Lord... not. It looks alot like all of the other suites for free but just not as good. Will not let AOL touch my computer and was horified to see AOL icons all over my computer when I first booted it up!
    http://forum.hkgolden.com/faces/donno.gifhttp://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/haushalt/k050.gifGone!

P.S. I bet you can see I'm having fun with Smiley Xtra 4 extension.:D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.