AOL New spywre activist

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Mr.Blaze, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

I updated aol and aim awhile back

it was cool at first because all the new cool features but then things started happening.

i notice an major increase in attacks and tcp flooding and sirvice of denial not by hackers but by aol isp server itself

it looks like they boot me on purpose when there service is busy by doing one of two things

1. offer the same acess number over and over algain thats long distance and that i dont want to add to my list of acess numbers repeadtly

2.just give me the boot

now im noticing an increase of useless aplications trying to acess the internet thats either aol related or partners of aol company

this is even trying to acess the net even if im not useing aol?

i notice its a hog on resourcess with this new added spyware

a new program has now try to acess the internet called view point just today

i had not updated my aim or aol in i think 2 months but yet there it is.

nore havei used aol in months

some how the evill software is secretly bypassing zap pro newest build and updates itself untill the new secretly dowenloaded software trys to acess the net then you know.

wow aol some mofos but i think this is even beneath them

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup my folks insist on using AOL for a few reasons - Viewpoint is the media player that now has a license/deal etc with AOL and is bundled with your AOL installtion - I removed it from my folks PC and so far everything is just fine. However, I had to add a 512 stick of RAM to their new (albiet economy) PC - an IBM Thinkcentre like my 2 secondary PCs with a 2.4 gig celeron - the 128 MB of RAM just wasn't cutting it AT ALL after AOL was installed - Unless I am somehow seriously mistaken, AOL applications (who knows how many are running at any given time bouncing off of the Sygate I installed on their PC) are taking up MUCH more CPU time and memory than even XP itself :doubt:

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Detox
    i deleted viewpoint also with no problems but now there must be another player(quicktime)every time i sign on to aol there is this message:do you want to install and i just click no but its agravating because you have to click no every time because theres no option not to show the message again.then sometimes it trys to sneak in the appl. lol because the firewall asks if you want to allow it and i check no again. you have a good day
    Rita

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I knew there was a good reason I didn't upgrade. I'm still running v.8.0. :D

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yeah my folks are getting the same thing about "reinstall a media player!" Hoever, not only is there a WMP present on that machine, but Real player also. I'll be removing Real player on my next trip and I'll probably set them up with the Quintessential player.

6. Mr.Blaze

YUP I THINK THEY GONE TO FAR THIS TIME

7. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

Would you believe I'm still using AOL 6.0? I was thinking of upgrading to 9.0 but now maybe I won't. I don't think my 192 megs of RAM will be enough.

8. Mr.Blaze

nope way harsh but you should upgrade your ram even ram is fairly priced now

a stick of 512 is way worth it

9. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I can't upgrade that much. This old box only has room for 384MB. I got along with 64 until just recently when I added 128 more. I hardly use any of the AOL features anyway. It's just a way to connect to the net.

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm never gonna touch AOL's products/software ever again. I don't trust them anymore. Once i found wildtangent on my computer, i got rid of it including AIM. Now, aol.com is in my restricted sites list. AOL supports spyware advertising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.