AOL Instant Messenger Worm~!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Eziel, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eziel

Eziel Registered Member

I am not sure how vital this is or if anyone else has recieved this worm. Do not click or copy the link that I put in this topic. It is only to show you what to look for. I will just say how this works:
    1.) You recieve a instant message in bold blue print from a friend that says
    <name of friend>: check this out!
    http: //www. wgutv.com /osama_capture.php?GmVm

!!!!!!DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE!!!!!!
    2.) Then if you click on this site it comes up with a game to download. Catch Osama Bin Laden.

3.) You click Download and then you have the problem on your computer.

4.) Then it will go down your AOL IM Buddy list and anyone online it will repeat the cycle. I do not know if it is immediate or if it has a specified time to send out the message.

This is all i know of this issue...has anyone else recieved this or know more about the problem? I think it may have to do something with the Active X Controllers. My friend downloaded it and he ran Spybot and it seemed to pull up the files. I don't think this fixed the issue.

Thanks,
    Eziel

2. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

"Several victims told CNET News.com on Wednesday that a new Trojan horse advertising program, called BuddyLinks, masquerades as a news Web site with a story on the al-Qaida leader's capture in an attempt to fool users of America Online's instant messaging system into downloading software and receiving advertising."

Complete story:

http://news.com.com/2100-7349-5157632.html?tag=nefd_hed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.