AOL Instant Messenger problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NotOnDemand32, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Before you go on writing all in capital letters here please enlighten us where (and please provide a link!) Blackspear says he's an ESET employee. According to your "FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T READ OTHER POSTINGS" this should be easily possible. So where's the link?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Damn that was a quick trip and I just knew Google was the King of all search engines :blink:

BTW....either fix your stuck Caps Lock or lighten up with the attitude....whichever applies.

Attached Files:

3. NotOnDemand32

NotOnDemand32 Registered Member

Here is a link to 1800 hits with NOD32 messenger problems. Perhaps you haven't tried AltaVista, the king of search engines:
    http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=instant+messenger+problems+nod32&kgs=1&kls=0

Interesting that at this posting over 400 people have viewed this page and no one has any solid solutions yet. Why does everyone here assume NOD32 is infallible, that it must be something I did wrong or some other software or hardware is not installed correctly? Even the tech support people at NOD32 don't think it's flawless. I remind everyone once again: this problem occured IMMEDIATELY after uninstalling NOD32 v2.5 and installing v2.7, I had no previous problem with NOD v2.5 or AOL Instant Messenger or the Westell 6100 modem or Verizon DSL whatsoever.

4. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

There are 1800 hits with those search terms in, but I've looked through several pages and cannot see one referring to a specific problem between nod32 v2.7 and Messenger. Do you know of any specific links to provide more information to help?
    Posting on a forum with walls of caps lock text and telling people who are trying to help you that they lead shelterd lives is not usually guaranteed to get the quickest response, I haven't seen anyone here say that 'nod32 is infallible' either, no software is infallible.

Perhaps it's best to wait and see what support (you say you've contacted support, was this support @ eset.com?) say, if no one here on this forum has experienced, heard or is able to reproduce what you are experiencing, then it may be hard to help.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello NotOnDemand32,

Excuse me chipping in but did you actually read a few of some of those search results? I'm afraid all you have turned up are 1800 hits that contain any of the words in your search string. Insert a " at either end of the string so that all the words are inclusive and AltaVista will also return zero hits.

Regards

6. NotOnDemand32

NotOnDemand32 Registered Member

Yes, has ANYONE read my ORIGINAL post, before asking the same questions repeatedly?? I have stated before that I have contact the OFFICIAL technical support of each hardware/software/ISP, including ESET (by email and phone), I have exchanged 17 emails with ESET already. I have logged about 30 hours on the phone total with all the others. ESET thinks it's IMON causing it, but now I know it's not. I have contacted Verizon DSL tech support, I have contacted Verizon voice/wiring technicians, I have contacted AOL tech support, I have contacted Microsoft tech support, I have contacted Microsoft PC Safety (virus) support, I have contacted Westell tech support. AGAIN, this whole issue began IMMEDIATELY after uninstalling NOD32 v2.5 and installing NOD32 v2.7. How many times do I have to repeat this before someone will actually read ito_O :mad:

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

NotOnDemand32,

I've read your posts. Have you read mine? You've jumped to an immediate conclusion based on the time correlation between the install and the connection problem. As I explicitly noted, it may be real or it may be happenstance. You've obviously dismissed any thought that it could be a happenstance relation. If NOD32 V2.7 is the culprit, the problem should reversibly disappear/reappear if NOD32 V2.7 is uninstalled/installed. You have not explicitly stated whether or not you done this and, frankly, it is a basic part of engineering drill down into problem resolution to do this if you suspect NOD32 V2.7 is the primary cause of the problem. This is an exercise that can be accomplished without undo exposure you if you are an EE/CS graduate. If you need guidance on how to accomplish this, ask. Also, if there is a reversible appearance/disappearance of the problem, don't immediately assume NOD32 is definitively the cause since router configuration constraints may be a factor as well.

As for the Westell, if you visit the Westell Forum over at DSL Reports you'll see that there are plenty of Westell 6100 connection problems reports. Searching that forum for NOD32 or Eset related content picks up no citations.

You note that you have no hardware firewall, but what do you call the Westell 6100? Have you configured the firewall in the 6100? Have you attached the AIM NAT service to your NAT service profile? I'm not an AIM user, but does AIM still use a static complement of ports? I don't have a 6100 in front of me, so I can't guide you, but I would check the relevant configuration screens of the 6100 (firewall, NAT service profile, etc.).

Blue

8. Kostan

Kostan Registered Member

Sorry to jump in like this but I am really surprised, amazed, astonished, dazzled... who is this guy NotOnDemand32!!! that gets the attention of 1 Administrator, 4 Global Moderators, 1 AV-expert, 1 Very Frequent Posters and 2 Very Frequent Posters?

It is the very first post I since joining this forum that I see so many people taking all this verbal abuse and still responding logically and calmly.

This why I believe wilderssecurity.com is The Number 1 forum, excellent mods and most important very good people.

So NotONDemand32 do you understand what you are supposed to do?

9. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I found this link concerning the westell 6100 and aol instant messenger connection problem. Not saying this is a solution to your problem. This is the only post I could find that specifically mentions the westell 6100 and aol connection problem.

Westell 6100 and aol im connection problem

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

How does your 333MHz Dell computer running Microsoft Windows 98 connect to the Westell 6100 Modem? Also, can you tell me its model number? Westell has over a dozen modems in the 6100 series. It should be on a sticker on the bottom which says something like "x90-61100nn-06" on it.

Also, what steps do you take to connect to the Internet using your Verizon ADSL connection? In other words, is there a specific program or tool that starts in order to establish your Internet connection, or are you able to start using applications such as your instant messaging software and web browser on a clean boot without having to start any other programs?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. xah

xah Registered Member

I don't want to take side here, but I'm experiencing also a problem here with MSN Messenger when trying to receive files.

It's very simple:
    - When IMON enabled: I can't receive files.
    - When IMON disabled: I can receive files.

In addition to above:
    - Yes, I tried adding messenger to the excerption list.
    - Yes, I tried using it with high compatibilty.

I've just installed NOD32 (version 2.7) and I do have some computer knowledge. So if anyone has any advice about this, please let me know.

I noticed that IMON does implicates internet issues, for example, (maybe because it runs at winsock level) I cannot use application like Proxifier. At the other hand it does works with FreeCap. I do not have a lot experince with NOD32 like guys do, but you cannot deny IMON has some compatibility issues. It just feels like IMON can easily conflict with other program that uses internet.

But like I said it just feels like it, I didn't realy tested it to post some proofs here. Lets just try resolve one issue at the time and start with a simple one.

So... has anybody have any advice for my MSN Messenger issue ?

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.