AOL AVS Update Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by epv888, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epv888

epv888 Registered Member

Hi Guyz,

I've been using AOL AVS for quite sometime now and I was just wondering, does AVS also receive automatic program updates (eg. vulnerability fixes for the antivirus engine / version upgrades) or is it only updating the signatures from Kaspersky Labs? ..

Any thoughts / answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

AVS has been stuck at 6.0.0.308 since late last year. Secunia reports that versions below .614 have security issues. Right now you only get a bug fix or two once you install AVS since it asks you to restart, and other than that it is strictly signature updates from the slow AOL mirror. According to some reports there is a Vista version on the horizon. Some reported the end of May, but quite honestly I am not holding my breath.

3. epv888

epv888 Registered Member

Oh I see. So would the normal Kaspersky signature updates be enough to keep my PC protected from the latest threats online (without vulnerability fixes / engine upgrades) or am I better off using other free antivirus software like Avast Home or Avira Antivir PE Classic??

PS: Thanks for your reply "EliteKiller". :)

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Generally speaking I feel that AOL AVS is every bit as good, if not better, as the other freeware AV's that you mentioned. The detection and removal capabilities are outstanding. However everyone have their own opinion on what is best. Supplement it with SUPERAntiSpyware, a firewall (if you have a router that is fine), and you've got a nice layered defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.