AOL Active virus Shield(KAV 6.0) FREE!!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Maybe i'll make a patch to disable Mail Scanner module. Stay tunned...

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Did anyone find out how to put a Kaspersky skin on this?

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Anyone using AOL AVS with Comodo Firewall? I will post this question in that Forum as well, but just wondered here too. I am going to install the new version of Comodo next week, and because I like everything about AVS, I don't want to have any conflicts. Thanks.

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

The AOL version does not include the Web Anti-Virus as the full KAV does. What does this mean (i.e., what are you giving up, missing by not having Web AV, etc.) and how much does not having it in the AOL version degrade your protection?

TIA for any answers.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Not having a web protection is not so important if your browser is fully updated .KAV's WebAV is made especially to protect the browser from vulnerabilities/exploits.
    Everything else will be caught on-time from the File protection scanning files on your hard drive(s).

:thumb:

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

So using Firefox with the NoScript extension will offer some of the protection of WebAV?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , of course not .
    Please , understand me correctly . Antivirus software's main protection is the one that performs on-access scan for files in the hard drive . Everything additional (web protection , proactive protection......) is just an extra we can live without .

As I said the web AV in KAV is mainly to protect browser from being exploited because there are some things that can affect the browser really fast .However this is not so common if your browser is updated and stable/secure .

If you plan to use AOL AVS :
    Use Mozilla Firefox ,fully updated , as the most secure browser (ever) . With or without additional things (NoScript) , it is again really really secure
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Why Firefox ?
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#mozvsie

If there is something else that is not going to affect your browser , the file AV should take care of it
    Protect your PC as shown in my signature :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2006
  8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

You have got to be kidding me. Opera is probably the most secure fully featured browser ATM. Followed by the fact that Dillo and OB1 are way way way way more secure than opera, firefox, and IE. And then lynx is also more secure.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Actually, yes it will, part of the web-av is the kav script checker.:)

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Opera is imo more secure consumer browser at the moment (those exotic thingies cannot be really counted). Firefox right behind it and IE in the end.

11. TNT

TNT Registered Member

How about http://www.heidi.ie/notrax/? Seem reasonably secure, and the author is, as far as I know, reliable. Although why it tries to read from the screen (SnoopFree alerts about it) I have no idea. Maybe the author should be asked about it.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I agree. For me both browsers need tweaking from the get go.

But the core of Opera is more complete. So the tweaking of Opera doesn't affect the performance & stability hardly at all. In fact quite the opposite if properly applied.

Not my experience with FireFox. The tweaks work, yes. To a point. But the more tweaks & the more customized. The bigger the hit in performance & stability. Even if properly applied.

But to fine tune Opera. One has to visit & search the Opera forum.

Not so with FireFox. The tweaks are everywhere. But I did get them from MozillaZine Forum.

And to be fair. I'll let you know. I gave up on FireFox after a couple of releases of the 1.5xx series. But I will try again after 2.0 is final awhile.

13. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Never heard about it before, but I seem to prefer the sandboxie + some browser for leaving no trace since this combo is free (but doesn't have some of the nice features offered by notrax such as secure delete, encryption for the cache, etc.) Also, isn't it made by the same company who acquired eraser, so the secure deletion of eraser is probably incorporated into the browser. It looks nice, but is it a custom browser engine, or does it use gecko, presto, et cetera?

edit----
    I have tried it for a little bit. It is nice, but the website is telling a falsehood when they say it is a single .exe. It installed to a folder with 22 files, but it only takes up 2.67 MB which is nice. However, it has bare minimum features, similar to OB1 except it has secure deletion, encrypts the cache, and can clear the contents of the windows swap file. Also it supposedly doesn't write to the registry or use any .dat files. I downloaded the trial, but it seems to be full featured and only has a popup on the programs start to register it. No javascript, activex, etc. so there aren't any of those exploits against it. I still prefer OB1 ATM coupled with sandboxie and proxomitron for ultimate browser security in windows :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

14. TNT

TNT Registered Member

It's a custom engine. I don't use it, though... just tried it a few times. It seems to be quite ok, but certainly not a replacement for a fully featured browser (has many, many limits: no way to log on sites that use cookies, no scripting, flash, etc... yes, all features that weaken security, but still on some sites you definitely need them). It also has problems rendering some pages, though it's not that bad in that respect (for being a custom engine with not a big company or community working on it).

15. Guru63

Guru63 Registered Member

Sorry my english. Thanks

After installation AVS have in registry these keys:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0000]
    "Enable"=dword:00000001
    "Triggers"=dword:00000001
    "Description"=""
    "VerdictMask"="not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Softomate.j"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0000\Object]
    "Mask"="c:\\program files\\aol security toolbar"
    "Recurse"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0000\TaskList]
    "0000"="ods"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0000\VerdictPath]
    "Mask"=""
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0001]
    "Enable"=dword:00000001
    "Triggers"=dword:00000003
    "Description"=""
    "VerdictMask"="not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Softomate.j"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0001\Object]
    "Mask"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\AOLSEC~1\\AOL_SE~1.DLL"
    "Recurse"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0001\TaskList]
    "0000"="oas"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\AVService\settings\Excludes\0001\VerdictPath]
    "Mask"=""
    Is it right?

16. Don Pelotas

I would uninstall it again, reboot and reinstall it without the AOL toolbar........unless you want it of course.:)

17. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

... and thanks for getting this thread back on topic ;)

18. Guru63

Guru63 Registered Member

Uninstall, cleaning register, reinstall without AOL toolbar and again there after installation creates this keys.... :mad:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  19. Don Pelotas

Whato_O?

20. Guru63

Guru63 Registered Member

Full KAV6/KIS6 do not this keys default... AVS yes... :gack:

21. Don Pelotas

Yes, it does and..............?

22. Guru63

Guru63 Registered Member

Don Petronas, what is the standpoint this "problem" Kaspersky Labs? o_O

23. Don Pelotas

My name is not Don Petronas, i wish it was because then i would be richer than i am...

My question to you is: What problem?

24. Unity

Unity Registered Member

OMG Don , you have made me fall of my chair :D

25. Guru63

Guru63 Registered Member

with those key in register... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.