AOL Active virus Shield(KAV 6.0) FREE!!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thank you Don....
    To be honest i would have thought that it would be the toolbar that has the phone home abilities too,otherwise it wouldnt be a very good KAV promotional exercise to be involved in,but the AV eula suggesting that you agree to the ads and phoning home ,if installing it ,and then making the toolbar installation optional seems to be a cause of confusion (on my part anyway).Anyone used a sniffer on the packets yet?
    ellison

2. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Thanks. Will try the patch and repost after I restore the "KAV" image file.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Good, even if you decide to not use Kaspersky then keep "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service", it helps with many programs & do not use a lot of resources.

4. furballi

I run a very mininal setup with only 17 services in AUTO mode (total commit charge under 100MB after re-boot). Only ZA Pro 4.5.594.000 is allowed to run at PC boot. The AV scanner is OFF. Course if I come across a suspicious file, then I would turn-on the AV scanner, update the def, and scan the file for contamination.

A slower AV will often cause the ZA module to crash during FAST shutdown (2 to 4 seconds). However, this is not an issue for me since I don't use the full-time protection of the AV scanner.

The KAV engine can pull a heavy load on the CPU when scanning the entire HDD. The AMD 64 at 2.7GHz core speed (3800 to 4000 class CPU) is running at +95% load in this mode. McAfee 8.0i with the 5100 engine manages to push the CPU load to 75%.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Of course it does. It's meant to scan stuff. Of course On-Demand is more emanding as it's checking files sequentialy in large quantities. Real-time scanners aren't under so high presure.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It is most likely the toolbar, if you install it, and the email address provided when downloading the program that AOL refers to.

7. furballi

The Hive Cleanup application did not address the shutdown issue with ZA Pro 4.5.594.000. Based on previous experiences, this problem can be resolved with a registry tweak to the shutdown delay time.

I still see two items in the STARTUP tab, one KAV/AVP , and the other that's not labeled. Any other users with the same observation? The application also try to dial out three times after a reboot and a new AV definition file. Not sure if this is AOL. I don't have the add-on toolbar.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Very easy to find out, track what address, post it here and i or somebody can tell you if it's a Kaspersky server because the connection after startup for definitions is normal behavior.

To see what program the process belongs to, use ProcX, to see it.

9. furballi

I may dig more into this issue if I have more time. Perhaps I should wander over to the KAV support forum and post this question.

Was hoping that someone here may have a quick answer!

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll stand corrected but does not the post just above yours address your question :doubt:

You want find much better support concerning a KAV issue than Don Pelotas.

11. furballi

Unfortunately, I've restored the old 8.0i image file. Again, I may revisit this issue this weekend when I restore the KAV image file.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems to be the best option.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Where's the infamous pig squeal? It "thumps"instead. :( This is on both computers. I checked my speakers on the 98SE box ....played Winamp radio but I still only hear a thump when eicar.com is detected and with each action I take on eicar. Same on XP. Did AOL think the pig squeal was too scary?
    :D

Plus, it is not handling eicar correctly on either computer. :( It is leaving eicar intact...at least it claims eicar is still there as a threat but I think that isn't true as it stopped it from downloading. Something is not right. I am not using the default settings. It probably works fine if you do but if you set it to alert you and then you tell it to disinfect and if it can't to delete it appears to get all confused. I am on my way out to go running before it gets dark. When I get back I'll play with it some more and see if this just an erroneous message...that is what I think it is.

14. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

keep us updated with your results...

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It stops eicar.com but it is bit confusing/misleading and it doesn't do this in KAV 2006 just in AVS. I start to download eicar.com on Fx and AVS pops up and says there is a virus and it cannot be disinfected. Write access is denied. Then my only option is to skip. The GUI then shows threats detected and not treated. In actuality the file was stopped from being downloaded so there is nothing to treat. If I then click "neutralize all threats" AVS is happy and says that the file doesn't exist. The problem is the "skip" part. That doesn't happen in KAV just in AVS.

The problem does NOT occur when using IE6. I am told by AVS that eicar.com contains a virus and can be disinfected. I click disinfect, get a message it cannot be disinfected and I have the option to click delete. I do that and get a little popup saying it was deleted.

I am using an old version of Fx on this snapshot on the virtual machine where AVS is installed. It could just be this old version of Fx. I have a snapshot with the Fx 2.0 beta but I have McAfee enterprise 8.5i beta installed on that snapshot.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Real-time scanner is mocked up ever since version 5 and they still haven't done it properly. Been warning them about this for whole time and nothing done. Sometimes it will insist file is there even though i deleted it 5 minutes ago and only option left will be Skip. It's so damn annoying. This especially happens when you download some malware through browser...

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If this happens on the current version of Fx, as well as the older version I am using,
    then that is BAD. A lot of folks are using Fx now and not all of them are that knowledgeable about computers. They are going to be really confused by this. And if it happens sometimes in IE also....oh boy...all the AOL users who get this and then have this happeno_O :( They are not going to understand that the file never downloaded and that AVS just thinks its there when it isn't.

I don't get viruses and hadn't used eicar with KAV in quite a while. I had forgotten that KAV lets you download eicar.com in Fx if you are stopped the first time ...you just retry in Fx download manager and it downloads withOUT a peep from KAV. KAV doesn't alert until you open the folder containing eicar.com and actually put the mouse on the file. That is rather lame.

Then I had also forgotten how KAV handles zipped files with viruses. UGH. It stops them but I don't like being able to down load the zip and then unzip and then have to start to execute before KAV will alert. Plus, the file is still there after deleting in winRAR. NOD32 behaves the same way and that was one reason I left NOD32. Now I have another AV that can't properly handle zipped files. McAfee Enterprise 8.5i beta handles these test viruses SO MUCH more ELEGANTLY. I try to download either of eicar zip files and instantly McAfee alerts. That is what KAV and NOD32 should do. Bit Defender 9 Pro version also alerted instantly. What is the matter with KAV and NOD32 that they make the user not only download the zip file but actually unzip it and then try to execute before alerting? :( On top of that, the user then has to clean up all the files that are strewn about. That is awful. Had I remembered that KAV was just as bad as NOD32 in this respect, I'm not sure I would have gotten it. I really wish I could get McAfee enterprise after the beta! Or that BD would work with Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually same happens in IE6 and Opera too...

19. andyrock

andyrock Registered Member

Are you sure that Nod32 gives you the same behaviour? I don't know about firefox, but with opera and IE nod32 is lightning fast when I download some detectable malware from the net. Even with imon disabled or in compatibility mode. No need to unzip archives btw.

With AOL AV as you and RejZoR noticed it's a bit slow.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not slow in general, just slow when it should react immediately to malware copied/created on my HDD...

21. furballi

There should not be any delay if the AV is properly configured. With McAfee 8.0i and many other AV applications, make sure the On-Access Scanner is active. Set the AV to scan ALL files (including inside archives) when writing to disk.

McAfee 8.0i does not support Outlook Express. However, with the above settings, all incoming data including e-mails are scanned by the AV if there is an attempt to write the data to the HDD.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's KAV specific problem and trust me, our PC's are configured just fine. t simply takes ages to detect stuff with KAV while all other AVs will react immediatelly.

23. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Are you sure? I am pretty sure AMON doesn't scan normal non-self-extracting archives (there's not even an option for it). For instance, I use Outlook Web Access which uses HTTPS (meaning IMON can't scan it), I can send myself a zipped Eicar file and download it but AMON won't detect it until I unzip it, or execute the eicar.com (hence unzipped).
    With KAV6, when I do the same test with KAV6, the WebAV is bypassed, and the RTM stops it right away, so I'm not seeing the same thing as RejZoR with KAV (I think archive scanning is off by default in KAV however).

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think you understand what i meant...

25. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I just tried KAV6 and it worked fine. There was no delay whatsoever.
    Scanning archives in realtime isn't a good idea. . But I've noticed this delay
    in reaction with Symantec on my old slow computer. It doesn't mean the AV
    software allowed the malicious code to be executed. It is just irritating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.