AOL Active virus Shield(KAV 6.0) FREE!!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

And why do you seem to think this is a problem, this is AOL/Kaspersky?

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

This is to Don Pelotas. I noticed that in the Protection settings/ Malware Categories, that the Viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits is greyed out. I know of no reason why someone would want to uncheck it, but I was just curious if this is done only in the Free Version. Also I have the other two categories, Spyware and Potentially Dangerous Software checked. Any reason not to have them checked? Thank you.

3. Don Pelotas

It's greyed out in all versions, they are the most important catagory and therefore cannot be disabled, you should IMO use the adware/spyware definitions too, the Potentially Dangerous Software is not as important and can sometime flag software you use and like/trust, these are all apps that can be exploited somehow and you should see this catagory as informational and if you got a detection on for example mIRC & you never installed it, that could be a sign that you're compromised.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don , while I was testing KAV5 and KIS6 , it never detected mIRC (downloaded from mirc.co.uk) as a threat . All detections (in KAV5 extended and in KIS6 spyware+pottentially were checked)

I though K Labs removed it

KAV/KIS worked , I mean Eicar was detected

5. Don Pelotas

They might have, i just used it as an example of software many use & trust, but which could be a sign if you haven't installed it yourself, thats basicly the "Potentially Dangerous Software" catagory in a nutshell, not as important as the two first, but useful to some.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I know that but I was talking just about mIRC , didn't even read previous post . Thanks for your answer

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

mIRC ia a legit software, so I can,t understand this discussion, sorry.
    Can it be installed as drive by download as well or there is a malware with similar name as well?
    Thanks.

8. Don Pelotas

Of course mIRC is a legit program, but it can be exploited, this is why the catagory is called "Potentially Dangerous Software" and why it's optional if you want these detections.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks.

10. duke1959

Thank you Don Pelotas, I appreciate your help, and take care.

11. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

I have another question about Web Antivirus.

Do other antivirus programs also have this feature?

I currently have McAfee VirusScan - and my subscription runs up soon.

So could someone tell me if my McAfee VirusScan includes a Web Antivirus feature
    - because if it doesn't, I see no advantage of the paid McAfee over the free AOL Active Virus Shield.

Thanks.

12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

mIRC Client is riskware ‘not-a-virus’, mIRC functionality, scripting capabilities offers endless possibilities for virus writers.

mIRC Client normally with different third-party scripts loaded can do much and without user’s knowledge and many cases mIRC executable is duplicated and even relocated to subfolders within the mIRC installed location and ran hidden and silently so that your machine becomes part of a large BOT community.

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont think mcafee has a web scanner but heres some i know have a web scanner:

kav/kis 6
    nod32
    avast
    f-secure
    dr. web (http scanner is in beta)

14. duke1959

Anyone notice any slowness with their PC since installing AOL AVS? Mine isn't bad, but when switching from one user to another it sometimes takes awhile for the desktop to come up and the icons to show in the system tray. I truly like AVS and don't want to uninstall it, but I like the quickness in switching I had with Antivir PE. I wonder if this has something to do with how AVS scans or something of that nature? It surely doesn't use much memory and my System Idle Process is always around 98%.

15. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Is the startup objects scan enabled? (I don't remember the exact name of the option because now I am using AntiVir. AOL AVS has great detection rates and a lot of useful options but when I installed AOL AVS I decided to reinstall AntiVir if it got good results in the August AV-Comparatives Tests)

16. duke1959

ggf31416, I also have Comodo Firewall installed so it could be that. I like Comodo and AVS a lot so it isn't a big deal, but i do like my PC running fast. I just can't remember if my PC took so much time (10 to 30 seconds) after switching before Comodo was installed and I was just using AVS with Windows Firewall. I do believe Antivir definitely ran lighter than AVS however, even though both used a very low amount of memory. Maybe it is the way they scan in real time? What do you like better about using Antivir than you did using AVS other than detection rates? I ask because I am very close to going back to Antivir myself. I know that Antivir got a higher rating in the Retrospective AV Comparitives Tests in May as well. Thanks

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Antivir Premium also?

18. WSFuser

i do not remember antivir having an http scanner.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no it doesnt atm as far as im aware

20. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Check this out... I turn on my PC and when Windows finishes loading AVS gives me a warning about some trojan found on WinRAR.exe! I'm like WT*!? :eek: I deleted the file (even though I was sure AVS was wrong) and did a fresh install. Same thing. Trojan program: Trojan-spy.win32.lydra.be

EDIT: I see it was also mentioned on KAV's forums and that it will be fixed. That's all fine for KAV users, but what about AVS users?

21. Don Pelotas

It's the same for AVS, it's the same AV.

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

not yet, but they are planning to have one. :)

23. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

But will it still update? My AVS is version 6.0.299, and KAV has received a couple of updates after that... so I'm in doubt.
    EDIT: I guess it doesn't update the engine, just the signatures. I performed an update (signatures 09-06-2006) and I think the problem is gone.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So what is additional in Premium version?

25. WSFuser

from teh antivir site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.