AOL Active Virus Shield: Could not Activate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by besafe, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

My moms subscription to PC Cillin ran out, so I loaded her up with some free applications.

I first tried to install AOL Active Virus Shield. Everything went smoothly until it was time to activate the product. No matter how many times I tried to enter the activation code they emailed me, the product would not acitvate. I kept copying and pasting in the code, but the program simply would not activate. Anyone else have that problem?

I ended up going with Avast, which is another great option. I was just disappointed that I could nto get the program to activate. I was hoping to try it out on my moms machine to see if it my be a good option for my PC.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try re-registering for another activation code.

3. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I actually tried 3 registration codes and none worked. I would enter the code and the "next" button would remain grayed out so I could not activate. After the 3rd time I uninstalled and went with avast.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I had the same problem with AVS. Turned out to be a "font" problem. I had to manually enter the reg.code and all worked fine!!!

5. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

That is what I was going to suggest. I had the same problem so I entered it manually. And that worked.

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

During the installation, after you paste or type in the product key, the Next button refuses to light up and you cannot continue setup. The problem is that the Windows registered owner field is blank. In order to rectify the issue please do the following:

* Start-> Run-> regedit
    * Navigate to the following key: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version
    * Once you have reached the Current Version key take a look in the Right Hand Pane and look for 'Registered Owner'-> right click, modify, then type in a name-> ok-> Exit the registry

7. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I think this last response has nailed it. I will remember this should I try to install on another machine.

Thank you.

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Another response I received to this was that I must:
    Remove or disable one of my network cards.
    What kind of "crackhead" answer was that! o_O

In hindsight I still don't see the point, what if i used ICS on the machine I wished to isntall AVS on?

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

That is horrible troubleshooting advice. :thumbd:

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I never got it to activate and I tried many times over several months. I had it on my 98SE machine that I don't use that much so I left it on there and whenever I would use that machine, I would try again to get it to activate. I got several new keys. My problem was that while I could hit the "next" button, I would get a message back about an "invalid" key. Huh? It was the activation code sent to me in email. I finally gave up and uninstalled it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.