Anything new for fixing the Firefox memory leaks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    If you have something new for fixing the memory leaks for firefox then share it now. :ouch: I have the latest version, sometimes virtual memory goes up to 500MB. :oops: :p

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's not a phenomenon that occurs to everyone.
    I have not seen it since upgrading from 1.0.7 to 1.5.
    Mrk

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Beginning to believe it is either hardware related or extension related.....maybe skin related (one that I have not heard mentioned before.) My memory leak reduced greatly with 1.0.6 and almost came to a complete halt with the update to 1.0.7. Running 28 extensions and not the original skin. Am in the process of a total upgrade on my main PC so I can`t give exact numbers. Have to admitt I do like Opera on my resource limited lap top.

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I think the Firefox memory link is actually a poor implementation of a feature. Firefox introduced with v 1.5 the "instant" back feature. While this is nice that you don't have to reload a page every time you click the back button, it leads to a very large amount of data saved in the RAM to make it "instant" After leaving Firefox open for a while and surfing a lot of web pages, this leads to a very high RAM usage. However, poor coding may also contribute to this factor, especially in some extensions,

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. sweater

I think this was the cause of my firefox eating so much memory. And that's we have to recheck this three things everytime there's an upgrade installation to our latest firefox version. Coz, maybe the default firefox settings will always goes into those with 512MB RAM, and I only have 256MB RAM. I have already change these settings in the past but when I upgraded my firefox to the newer version I forgot to "re-check" this things back to what a 256MB RAM should be assigned. :cautious: :blink:

As of now, I again check it. So far, so good my firefox is "back to normal". :D

Attached Files:

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    This is a nightly build, not the 'finished' RC1?, am i right?

Lamehand

8. sweater

9. Lamehand

The info i have is that the official 2.0 RC1 will be launched around the 26th of this month, that doesn't mean to say that this nightly build, posted here, is not useable.
    If you want to play for sure you wait for the release.

Lamehand

10. sweater

I have just installed this FF 2 RC1, but the problem is many of my firefox extensions are not compatible with this. Especially my ScrapBook extension...I could not see it anymore and all of the "save" webpages on it. How can I recover it? or...

Can I install to go back to the old Firefox 1.5.07, and it will just be ok?

11. Lamehand

You can uninstall this RC1 and re-install 1.5.0.7, i hope you backed up your profile before installing RC1.

Lamehand

12. sweater

How about if I just use xp system restore just before I install this RC1? Will it be returned everything to my previous firefox previous old version? :rolleyes: o_O

13. Lamehand

I've never used system restore on XP, but it's worth a try.
    On the other hand, if you uninstall FF2.0 and then install 1.5.0.7 it would make a new profile and all your bookmarks, and what have you, will be lost, to avoid this you can back-up your profile prior to intalling 1.5.0.7 and after it is installed put it back in it's place.

Lamehand

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I think that Firefox keeps the folder "profiles" during uninstalling, which is stored under the hidden folder :
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data

That's why Firefox has in fact a bad uninstaller, because it doesn't remove everything.
    On the other hand it is good that Firefox doesn't remove everything, because the user would lose his personal settings and data in Firefox.
    The uninstaller of Firefox should ask the user if he wants to uninstall everything or wants to keep the folder "profiles" but that doesn't happen.

You also can move the folder "Profiles" to another partition, but you have to follow the instructions of Firefox to do this.
    It would have been better that Firefox had a default folder setting where the user can mention the complete path of the folder "Profiles", but that didn't happen either. It would have been more userfriendly this way.

The same remarks count for Thunderbird as well. Both softwares have a similar folder/file structure.

15. Lamehand

You are correct Erik, but if you make a fresh install of an other version, the profile you had will be destroyed.

Lamehand

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Most probably, I didn't try that special situation. :D

So far, I was able to update Firefox via Help / Check for updates.
    Since I moved the folder "Profiles" from my system partition [C:] to my data partition [D:], I always update Firefox/Thunderbird this way in order not to break the link between [C:] and [D:] and it works properly.
    Sometimes Firefox alerts me and starts to update automatically and also that works properly.

If I uninstall and re-install Firefox/Thunderbird, than the link between [C:] and [D:] is broken and Firefox/Thunderbird isn't working properly anymore.
    I didn't really test this situation and I don't really know if I can fix the link without any further problems.

Nevertheless thanks for the warning and correcting me. Other users have to know this for sure. :)

17. Lamehand

Information straight from the knowledge base at mozillaZine, so be carefull.

Lamehand

18. dog

dog Guest

Just backup/save your profile elsewhere ... and when you're done playing restore it - It's very easy to avoid any trouble. :)

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you could use moz backup

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

or FEBE:

FEBE (Firefox Extension Backup Extension) allows you to backup and restore all of your installed Firefox extensions and themes. It actually creates individual installable .xpi (or .jar for themes) files that you can put on CD, Flash Drive or floppy (do they still make those?) and install on another computer. You could also backup your extensions before installing an extension upgrade. This way you could always go back if the upgrade doesn't work for you. You may have a really good (but old) extension installed that is no longer supported and you don't want to loose it. Now you can snatch it out of the bowels of Firefox and keep it archived. The latest version will (optionally) backup/restore your bookmarks, preferences, cookies and just about everything else that Firefox generates. You can even backup/restore an entire profile in one step.

Gerard

Attached Files:

• febe.gif
      febe.gif
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  21. sweater

Everything is right now...back to where I came from. When I install Firefox 2 rc1 some extensions were disabled coz they are not compatible, like scrapbook. Then I use xp system restore turning back before the installation of rc1(I didn't uninstall rc1). Then after that, I install back the FF 1.5.07, I couldn't open firefox. I go to open FF safe mode, then without checking anything on it I just continue then it opened. Close it, then open the regular Firefox...and whalahhh everything turns right and ok. But the scrabook extension and noscript was gone. I worried that I might not recover save webpages on scrapbook extension, but then I just believe on my intuition and installed again scrapbook and noscript and after I restart firefox everything was magically restored. Is this luck, divine intervention or science? :D :cool: he, he, he...

;) :D :eek:

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

sweater, sorry for the delay in my reply. This version is stable and you can make most of the extensions work with FF 2.0 RC1.

Simply follow these steps:
    1. Instead of Installing the extension, save it to your computer.
    2. Extract the files within the .xpi file you've saved. (use 7-zip, etc)
    3. Edit the "install.rdf" file with Notepad and search for: "maxVersion" and replace the number there with: "2.0" and then save the file.
    4. Make a ZIP archive (Normal compression) with these files
    5. Change the extension of the archive you've created to .xpi and Open this file with Firefox (Open-> File) and you're done. :thumb:

Enjoy!

23. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Or just install Nightly Tester Tools to override all of them if you have too many (me).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.