Anything faster than Tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by nevermind1, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevermind1

nevermind1 Registered Member

Is there anything out there that does the same thing as Tor but is significantly faster? I think Tor is a great program but the speed can be really bad sometimes. I don't mind paying for a service if it's fast.

2. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

You can visit this page
    https://www.dongtaiwang.com or https://24.185.106.64/
    and then, type the address you want to in the box which is in the middle of the page, then surf safely.
    This is a kind of highly anonymous proxy located in USA which can hide your ip comletely, developed by some chinese-americans to help those people who live in the PRC defeating the" Great Fire Wall of china".

3. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

4. nevermind1

nevermind1 Registered Member

How much faster is JAP? Is it worthwhile to setup?

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you want speed, you are going to have to pay for it with one of the commercial services. Of course, the fact that you are paying then tells them who you really are...

6. pifxxx

pifxxx Registered Member

How can I make an anonymous payment to such service?? e-Gold?? pre-paid card and PayPal -is this possible- ??

7. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Even if you could how would they know who to credit the payment to for their service?

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Try http://anonymizer.su/ ;)

9. pifxxx

pifxxx Registered Member

Basically, they can send me the login information to the email I provided! You can rent a dedicated server in the same way.

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

If it wasn't for the fact that you cannot control what is stored in the data store apart of your hard drive (would sort of defeat the philosophy) I'd have a look at Freenet. - The Free Network Project.

11. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Thanks for link, how secure is this? Does it conceal your IP as securely as Tor/JAP?

Londonbeat

12. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I personally believe that the best option would be to find a friend in another country that has few if any laws or privacy procautions, who has a really fast upload speed and connection, then just establish a ssh connection to his computer and run all your connections through that, but the only trouble with that is finding a friend in such a country.

Although the speeds of TOR and JAP may be unbearable at times, try a text browser, it definetly goes a lot quicker then. Or, at least disable all flash, java, javascript, and block as many images as possible.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

13. Paranoid2000

Freenet may be strong on anonymity but the speed penalty makes Tor seem like greased lightning. The last time I tried it, finding/loading a page took 5-10 minutes - that was if the client could find it, and even then you had very few ways to verify if that was the up-to-date page or an older cached version.

14. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thankyou Paranoid, maybe 2 reasons then. I was under the impression, read somewhere, the performance of Freenet had/could be improved through propagation and routing, Fast Freenet I think the paper was called.

15. Paranoid2000

Meant to reply to this one earlier - not seen a URL like that for a while since .su was the top-level domain used for the Soviet Union, now somewhat obsolete and in need of patching... ;)

The site itself is a gateway using several other CGI proxy services. These proxies can disguise your real IP address from sites you visit (assuming you are blocking Flash, Java and other methods to create a direct connection) but they do not encrypt your connection so your ISP will still be able to log what sites you visit.

However if you find yourself being blocked from accessing a site when using Tor, JAP or another encrypted anonymising service, a CGI proxy can be a handy way of bypassing such a block.

16. Attack Force Z

Attack Force Z Registered Member

There is something faster than TOR, however it is a paid service. And its hardware based: iPHANTOM

17. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

With iPhantom it all goes through whose servers? iPhantom's. I think using a hardware solution for that is gimmicky and achieves nothing more than any other of the paid services which uses software. Anything going through someone elses servers, that you pay for, is not anonymous. Maybe a higher level of privacy, but that's all.

18. Paranoid2000

I'd agree with this, though there may be an exception with very old PCs that might not otherwise be able to encrypt/decrypt traffic fast enough. It does add another possibility though, of packets being modified by such a device (e.g. tagging each one with a user account ID) as well as encrypted - this would allow the likes of iPhantom to closely monitor traffic themsevles without fear of detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.