Anyone using Webroot? Any Problems?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rhuds13, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

Just wanted to know if anyone is using the Webroot FW and if so any problems lately.

2. jedi_m

jedi_m Registered Member

Hello,

NOD32 V3 + Spy Sweeper 5.5

Yes, I have problems. At Startup the computer freeze and I had to Shut Down Spy Sweeper in order to get back to live my PC, or keep presed the shot down button on my computer and do a hard restart.
    I sent Webroot an email with the problem and after 5 days they answer that is good to install the latest version (witch I have already). I've replied back that this is not acceptable answer for me and that it. End of story.
    It still freeze sometimes and I didn't get why or when. And next week it's time for renewal of Spy Sweeper. I'm not sure, if I'll renew for one more year.

jedi_m

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I tried it out on vista and kept having errors and had to close and restart services.

4. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

To the OP: Yes, I had a lot of problems with Webroots latest two versions. Slow downs, freezes, and scans that took forever. Surfing the net was painful because of slow loading times. Did you know that last year they snuck in an about.com toolbar? I have the emails from their tech support to prove it. I abandoned them (after 5 years) and when I uninstalled it was amazing how much better my system ran.

So now I have NOD32 + SUPERantispyware + Sunbelt Free firewall (which I will soon uninstall and go with either Comodo or Online Armor).

5. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

I have been using it for a few years and have not had any kind of problems. one thing you can try is go to options > sweeps > click custom sweeps > than change settings > go to advanced and uncheck verify exe in protected mem.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Process Detection doesn't work for me under Vista, but it didn't with DSA or PrivacyWare Firewall either on any of my Vista installations on this computer so it might be a conflict with my ULI chipset drivers.

It also had an issue with SmartWhois, blocking the connection claiming the parent app was blocked (even though it wasn't) and it doesn't seem to acknowledge the *(any) port setting (it still pops up and creates rules with specific port numbers).

I gave up on it and switched to Comodo.

7. daniel2007

daniel2007 Registered Member

After nearly 4 years with SS, i might be switching to Super Antispy.

SS started out as my second most necessary defense program, but as time went by (v3, v4, v5, v5.5) they seem to be letting more and more "low level" tracking cookies through and onto the disk. Some can't be removed and are not in their database - BUT - they are in the databases of CA Antisweep and Zone Alarm Antispy. Very inconsistant.

Additionaly SS is going the way of many other security programs - everything to everyone. Now they have firewall, advanced blocking, antivirus, etc. Being the jack of all doesn't make them the master of any (imo). They claim to block over 200,000 known malware but every day CA and Zone remove simple tracking cookies that SS misses. Why pay twice for the same features ......?

Zone ISS will do almost everything SS does and perhaps even better than - expecially at those prices.

Even though i still use it, another renewal is unlikely.

8. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

So far on this install on a Dell XPS420 XP Pro SP2, Avast and SAS Pro no problems. Will wait and see. I had been trying Comodo FW for a few days and seems it would not remember the Avast or SAS when time to update. One time the Avast would update and then next time it would have many pop-ups and it made me crazy.

9. AndyBonn

AndyBonn Registered Member

I run Webroot Spysweeper and when I updated my subscription I was automatically sold the Firewall. As I was installing it on a new laptop I decided to take the offer and try it.

I seem to be one of the few people who don't like it.

What version? No idea, I can't find out.
    What programs are blocked? No idea as the way it is shown is very confusing. I can't seem to read the individual filter information.

What processes are doing what? No idea as the way the filter information is displayed is terrible. Can I sort the list in another way? Nope. Only in application alphabetical order.

Firewall Log: can I use an entry to modify the status or get more information? Nope. Can I rearrange the sorting of IP addresses? Nope, only by time. Why is the time as AM and PM? Why not 24h format? Any explanation what the different protocol types are? Nope.

What does the port tracking report help me with? No idea. Can I use the information interactively? Nope. Can I find out why 127.0.0.1 is blocked? Nope. Can I unblock it. Yes, but I need to change to Main Menu and enter this address manually into a window that is smaller than a stamp.

Can I change the size of a window? Nope. I need to mark an entry and scroll along it. Or - if I am lucky - I can move a slider. Very few windows are resizeable.

OK, maybe my resolution is too high. OK, maybe I expect too much. OK, maybe I am simply spoilt.

I do know that this firewall frequently crashes when I click on allow or on more information quickly. When crashed, I can't access the network anymore. I need to manually restart it to close it down. Which I do more and more.

On the plus side it seems to catch a lot of unwanted traffic and it passed all the leak tests I threw at it. :)

Unfortunately I am not an expert and can't really go into this and learn how to configure it to suit my needs as I am sure it has a lot more potential buried deep down there somewhere.

But I will continue looking for the perfect security system.....

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I had the mem. probs with WDF not remembering what I had set it to block, like some of Window's "call home" services. Other than that, the firewall performed well on my system. It's on my future "re-installs" list...

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried the webroot firewall and found it to have a memory leak.

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Just gone back to webroot firewall and it runs great here on Vista

13. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ran WDF for quite a while-absolutely no problems at all,except the DSA HIPS was a bit forgetful-but I havent found one that isnt!

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The Webroot Desktop Firewall is a firewall that I was keeping under consideration.

What do you mean by 'memory leak' ?

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The discussion seems to be about the firewall, and about other Webroot products.

I know many people have complained about version 5.7 of the Spy Sweeper (my version is without antivirus), but my computer is 4 to 5 years old, and I've found it's very light on resources, which I can't say of the awful resource hog McAfee.

(In my case I've configured it to not load automatically at startup, to avoid conflicts with other software, I load it manually. I also did notice that it did not work well with a version of the Kerio firewall).

16. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

It's where a program left to run for a long time uses more and more memory.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. acr1965

I usually leave my computer booted up all the time and WDF would get up to 100,000k+ after a day or two.

19. waters

waters Registered Member

Runs great here but checked and it does have memory leak

20. daniel2007

daniel2007 Registered Member

(This is re: Spy Sweeper w/o firewall or av)

I executed a custom sweep for two logical disks (d: e: ) because they're not included in the daily scan and are primarily used for storage of old files. SS went ballistic and said it had quarantined 5 items that were all "Potentially rootkit-masked files" - wow, that isn't exactly what i expected. I would even have to reboot so they could be removed.

But, here are the files:
    1) price list - monitors.txt is in use. It will be removed on reboot.
    2) il2 sturmovik\missions\net\dogfight\1\01_1net16armysummer1200.mis is in use. It will be removed on reboot.
    3) port assignments in windows 2000.url is in use. It will be removed on reboot.
    4) dshield - distributed intrusion detection system.url is in use. It will be removed on reboot.
    4) www.shareowneronline.com.url is in use. It will be removed on reboot.

A text file not in use for years, a game mission from the install cd, a web link (not in use at all), the url to dshield, and an ancient link to an online information site. Kaspersky av showed nothing, nor did sysinternals rootkitrevealer - nothing.

Beware of SS "false positives" (this is not my first such experience). Most can be ignored, the database is updated, and the alarms disappear. I'd like to get some of whatever it is they're smokin'.....

~daniel~

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I guess I'll have to find a different firewall.

22. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Well, I used to use it, and found the GUI to 'not work'. It wouldn't navigate a bit

23. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I had the same problem with DSA. I contacted Privacyware but they said it was the first they heard of the problem. Are you guys using Vista? Contact Privacyware and let them know of the problem.

24. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I had the prob with XP...

25. acr1965

Had the problem on Vista Home Premium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.