Anyone using iReboot..?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jasonbourne, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

I recently downloaded iReboot from NeoSmart Technologies

xxxx://neosmart.net/iReboot/

for use in my dual-boot set-up. I found this one tool to be okay since when I want to boot-to-XP I just launch the application and select "Earlier version of Windows" and reboot --no need to wait for the boot menu to appear anmd select it there. In XO when I want to boot directly to Windows 7 I also use iReboot.

One thing I noticed that when I block the app from calling home it will not launch. I see it needs to connect to 0.0.0.0.9076. Well listening is still "not connected" but is it safe to allow that behavior..?

Anyone using iReboot observed this one...?

Can you share me some ideas please..

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I have been using iReboot for a while and to be honest I never checked whether it was trying to access some web server. I blocked the iReboot.exe with firewall and for me, the software launched fine afterwards. I am using v1.1.0.12

3. Raza0007

Also, have a look at this info from the author. It appears that it is only a local port and iReboot does not connect to the internet.

4. jasonbourne

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I too am using that version. The link that you gave me was okay though I never understand why does it need to get around UAC while my UAC is turned-off. I use my HIPS instead of UAC.

Might you know a link for the iReboot 1.0..?

5. Raza0007

Bottom right corner of this page has previous versions of iReboot.

As far as why it is behaving that way on your system, I do not know. It works fine for me when I block it using firewall. I too have UAC turned off and log in as an administrator on my win 7 32-bit system.

You can check one thing, iReboot has a service running on your system, make sure it is set to launch automatically at startup.

6. jasonbourne

Hi Raza0007,

Thanks again for the reply.

Will check the link later(I am in the office now). I have disabled "set to launch automatically at startup" as I do not need it running at start-up. I just use iReboot when I want to reboot to bypass the OS selection. You mentioned you block it via the firewall, I have Avast IS 1367 on the XP SP3 machine and Comodo ver5.9 with Avira IS 2012 on the W7 x32 machine. When I block it in Avast IS "Block all connections" or assign it "Public High Risk Zone -Default" it will not run as expected. For Comodo, I use the Predefined rule>Blocked application.

How do you block that in yours? What firewall are you using..?

Other then that it's quite a nifty tool, agree..? :)

7. Raza0007

I was referring to the iReboot service running on your system not the automatic startup of iReboot. Do the following, right click on my computer>manage>Services and Application>Services, and see whether the iReboot background service's startup is set to automatic.

iReboot.exe in the taskbar opens a port in your network to talk with its service. It does this to bypass the UAC.

I used Norton internet security firewall to block iReboot.exe from accessing the internet and the software ran fine after that. I have since then unblocked it as it does not connect to the internet but opens a local port on your network. If you prefer you can unblock it too as it is safe and from a trusted developer. I have been using EasyBCD from the same developer for more than 4 years.

8. jasonbourne

Oh, the "iRebootd.exe"! Yeah I see that in services. It's running automatic. I will set it to "manual" and see what happens. Okay thanks for the reply and tips. I am now thinking of foregoing Acronis Disk Director and just use Easy-BCD for a planned triple boot. I'll check it out later this weekend.

Might you know how to set a triple boot using Easy-BCD with 1 hard drive(dual-boot system) and a single hard drive...?

Thanks again :)

9. Raza0007

Do you mean with 2 OS on one hard drive and the third OS on another hard drive? It should be possible with EasyBCD. I have never done dual booting with multiple hard drives myself, however the procedure should be similar to dual booting on a single hard drive with multiple partitions. EasyBCD automates the process for you, so follow the dual booting steps in it. If it can not work with multiple hard drives, EasyBCD will inform you before modifying anything.

10. jasonbourne

Okay. Thanks for the help :) I'll see and check it out. Mod's can mark this one as solved now. Thanks again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.