Anyone using Index.dat Suite?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by spy1, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, it's still working on everything BUT these index.dat's that it finds:

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\IETldCache

C;\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\IECompatCache

C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\IETldCache

C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\PrivacIE

This is on a WinXP Pro system (32-bit), running -->IE8<---, totally "patched" and updated via WU.

After IDS showed me the file paths, I was able to erase them with Eraser - but IDS won't do it by itself. It finds them and includes them in the batch-file, but After IDS does its' re-start and you run it again, they're still there in their original size.

Also, I can't get the IDS internal "updater" to reach the website to check for an update to IDS.

Anyone else experiencing this? Pete

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

spy1

Hi long time no hear ! I was just thinking about what had happened to you only yesterday ! Good to see you back.

I havn't used IDS for a while, but i know you, or used to use, the excellent Clean Disk Security i recommended to you a few years ago. I still use it everyday, along with CCleaner.

Speaking of which, if you select those extra items in the INCLUDE option, then it should clean them too.

I'm wondering if you need IDS with the above Apps ?

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I find that IDS doesn't erase anymore and the internal updater doesn't reach the update server ever, I have looked for some miss configuration: firewall blocking....nothing to explain this. The website says something about being blocked sometime ago but that was a couple of years ago and that was supposed to have been resolved long ago.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I don't use IE8, but I went to my last image and installed it to check this out. Spy1, it did the same thing with me after using the latest version of IDS (is it in development any longer?)...

The latest CCleaner seemed to clean all the index.dat files. My guess is IDS may continue to be a good tool in finding the files, but not in actually cleaning/deleting the files. Maybe? For what it's worth, I still use the old SpiderByte and it's good at still detecting the files, but has the same problem in deleting the latest files.

I've now restored my latest image without IE8. Like Chrome, it's just too embedded into the OS for my liking. Chrome is actually worse which is too bad because it's very fast, but some things are deal killers for me.

By the way, Spy1, I love your sig!

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm in touch with the developer (Steven Burn) and he's suggesting and I'm trying different things. I'll let you know how it turns out. Gotta run (working today). Pete

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Pete, If you get a chance, fill us in on what he's doing. Don't be a stranger!

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Not actually trying to be a stranger, but most of my online time is taken up with "political" stuff these days.

The things suggested haven't worked, so far, but we're both hanging in there. I'll let everyone know if it gets resolved.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use Eraser to nuke the files individually that the program doesn't get.

Thought it was worthy of note that the "InPrivate" browsing feature of IE8 contains or generates its' own "index.dat" file (which is very resistant to being nuked by either CCleaner or I.D.S).

Kinda defeats the premise of "private", methinks.

I was informed that the updater does NOT work for IDS anymore (he'll be re-doing that, also when he gets time) - but there's a "test" version of it here: http://forum.hosts-file.net/download/file.php?id=301 that I'm trying out (or will be, when I get time).

Catch y'all later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.