Anyone using Chrome?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kerodo, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I am not. I'm happy with the browser(s) I use.
    It sounds like a nice alternative to IE, but if you're already using an alternative, then you don't need an alternative to an alternative, if you get my drift.
    Mrk

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I was a hair from trying it after downloading but at the last second changed my mind because right now i am too hyped up over Firefox's latest and i believe last beta 3, it really rocks my socks off after being glued to IE for so long. Plus i still like and use Opera. Chrome just isn't attracting my attention atm, maybe sometime down the line, dunno.

EASTER

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've been using it from the beginning. It is very fast on my machine, I like its simplicity, and I use it for my normal browsing. I've just updated it this morning from version 1.0.154.29 to 1.0.154.36

I also use Firefox when I want to be extra careful (I love the extension 'StumbleUpon', which searches automatically for new websites that share my interests, but they could be dangerous).

Attached Files:

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I use the portable form for simple browsing as it is fast and good.:thumb: .I like it to have addons like mozilla and make dynamic process for tabs optional.

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I tried Chrome when it was first released and, like most, was blown away by it's speed.
    Then I got paranoid about Google's intrusive practices.
    With that plus the fact that only about one-third of my IE7 favorites (bookmarks) would migrate to chrome made me decide to uninstall and go back to IE7, then switched to Firefox.

Tried Chrome again last week.
    The problem with IE7's favorites has been corrected and several other fixes are now in place. I feel that the development team is really trying and It's still the fastest browser I've used.
    I like it's simplicity and clean interface but have switched to Firefox as I feel it's much more protective of user data and nearly as fast.

Haven't tried Iron, but plan to do so this weekend.

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I use Chrome and Opera. Cant decide between the two. With Opera 10 alpha i think both are equally fast. Firefox is just too slow for me. The time Firefox needs to start i have already opened Chrome and 10 Tabs fully loaded. Opera is similar fast to boot but not as fast as Chrome. But Opera has been more stable on my system. You cant have everything...

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

True Chrome is fast, but that's all it has going for it as per my needs. I ran it along side my FF for a few weeks, and once it loaded so fast it was sparse as IE compared to FF. I may give it another look in a year or so.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I quite like chrome but if i want to use it I use iron.
    very minimalist browser imo but works well.
    i hope opera introduce seprate processes for new tabs in a later version.
    annoying to have a crashed browser because of one tab or plugin.

11. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Another very nice thing are the "application shortcuts". Its very usefull imo to load yahoo mail for example. Chrome has brought in some very nice and new ideas. Seperate Processes - why havent the other browsers thought of that first? Also you cant dismiss the fact that every other browser is trying to catch up with Chromes Javascript speed wich is a good thing for all users.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I guess I like it cause it's very fast and it's also very minimalistic at the moment, however, that may not last long, we'll see. I do like Firefox and Opera also, but somehow Chrome has caught my eye, I think perhaps due to the simplicity of it all.. It serves my needs at the moment....

13. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I really like Iron, especially the latest version.

I haven't tried Chrome yet. What is the difference between Iron and Chrome as long as you use unchrome ?

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think Chrome is fast because it is minimalistic. Once it starts adding bells and whistles like the competition, I think it's speed will be in line with FF and Opera.

15. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I prefer features over just speed so Chrome does nothing for me.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, that's possible, I guess we'll have to adopt a "wait and see" attitude. The only feature I miss right now is mouse gestures. I like that in Opera, and in Firefox that's always the first thing I add. The rest I can live without pretty much.

I wish they'd keep it simple though. I've seen so many apps that were once great, quick and light, subsequently ruined over the years by further "development".

I remember Firefox back at 0.5 when it was called Phoenix, now that was fast! :)

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Its only faster in Javascript sites compared to Opera, however Iron from SR Ware is faster than both as it uses latest Webkit, plus it has no intrusion issues like Chrome.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Can you tell me how is that different from a link to yahoo mail in your desktop? (dragging the tab to the desktop)
    I don't know chrome all that well, i could be missing something.

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Hi Pedro.
    Here´s a nice video explaining Application Shortcuts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html&v=R0Mgf66GOr4
    It lets your webpage look like an independent application. For example if you use google docs it actually looks like an program launched from your own pc. Or gmail looks like an alternative to outlook etc.
    I guess its similar to what you discribed with Firefox but more streamlined.

Google Docs:
    It looks like an app and not like an web page anymore.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  20. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually if you are looking for app specific customized browser than the Prism with its minimalistic xul based design is your best bet. It can be setup for different individual interfaces ranging from Facebook, Google Chat with voice support, twitter etc. http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I see your point. Thank you both. :)

22. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Font size is a real big issue for me in Chrome and Iron. One site the fonts are too small...another, they'll pass. I tried to set them in Options but really they seemed to have no effect. Chrome just doesn't begin to compare to Firefox or Opera in that area.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I haven't noticed that font issue yet, but yes, I'd say Chrome is not all that configurable to date.

24. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

25. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.