Anyone using Bufferzone?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by acr1965, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe a silly question because I think lots of people use the program- although it does not get a lot of posts here. Anyway, I have Vista Home Premium and a Core 2 duo processor and was wondering a few things about Bufferzone-

- does it slow down system performance to any noticeable degree?
    - does it make you disable UAC?
    - anyone using it with Google Chrome browser?
    - for those running Bufferzone, are you also running a resident AV realtime?
    - any comments about Bufferzone you would like to make?

I am running a resident AV with MSE and using Ad Muncher. Also run Prevx free version and PC Tools firewall. Lately I have been scanning downloaded files with MSE, MBAM, Prevx and Hitman Pro. Would Bufferzone effect the performance of Ad Muncher?

Thanks for any replies.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my experience with bufferzone was that the system was fast only when bufferzone was running alone;) when you start introducing other programs then that is when problems starts:)

3. acr1965

Thanks jmonge. Anyone else have similar experience as jmonge?

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

used and tested it long ago. It never became popular somehow.there used to be a free version too. Concept is good but it was not so smooth like other sandboxes.
    SafeSpace was very similar to it but much better than bufferzone IMO.
    Too bad that it was discontinued.
    I still miss it too much.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes they ditched the free version some years ago but when I tried it I found it to be a bit clunky and suffering various incompatibilities.Safespace was a much better product I miss that too.:'(

Bufferzone's creators were always ultra confident about the security offered,they used to offer a $500 reward to anyone providing evidence of an exploit able to break it. Not sure if that's still going or if they ever had to pay out for that matter.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

SafeSpace is no longer being developed, but is still free and available. Unless there are compatibility issues why not keep using it?

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If you're using Windows XP, you need the .NET Framework to run SafeSpace.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It is funny how BZ attempts to scare people into believing their system was compromised by their vulnerability test found here. I ran it with Jetico 2 monitoring and no way did it gain access to the internet, although the screenshot would have one believe differently :rolleyes: I blocked the attempt and I think it's safe to say the second screenshot proves this.

Attached Files:

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, and using it was an issue for some but I don't know why. The .NET Framework is a foundation that developers can use so they don't have to build from scratch. If you have broadband it's not a big deal to download it. Just my $00.02 of course.

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Exactly. If your firewall asks for permission, it's effectively done it's job; allowing it so you can "see your results" would be the same as allowing a trojan to do its job. Very misleading.

11. acr1965

I see SafeSpace is available at the artificialdynamics site but their forum is pretty dead as far as support goes. Does anyone know if the poject is totally dead or just put on hold? I see copyright 2009 still on the web page so maybe there's hope?

I suppose I will give DW a shot now.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It was announced some time ago that development of SafeSpace had ceased, but it would remain available for download - free for personal use I believe. Unfortunately nothing has been said that suggests otherwise AFAIK.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

still not so smooth as others. No way to suggest any improvements. Win 7 not supported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.