Anyone use M_off? Avast 5 reports it infected.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by allizomeniz, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Avast 5 has recently started reporting m_off.exe as an infection called Win32 PUP-gen. It's a tiny utility I use to turn my laptop monitor off for brief periods when I don't want to go into sleep mode. It's not installed but is stored in Program Files. When I right-click and scan it with Avast from the context menu it shows no infection, but if I run a scan from the main interface or try to execute m_off, Avast flags it, but only shows "Low risk."

I checked it out at Virus Total and the results are mixed.

~ VirusTotal Results URL Removed per Policy ~

Does anyone know if there might be an explanation for why some anti-malwares are hitting on it but a lot of others aren't? Or has anyone else used m_off and had it harm their system?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program. Meaning not technically an infection but if the user is unaware of it, running it could cause undesired operation of your system.

If you feel comfortable that it's what you want and Avast still barks about it, go under the exclusion settings and skip it from being scanned.

I had to do this for some Nirsoft Utilities. I think they are indispensable tools. Avast feels differently...

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've used m_off for about six months without any detrimental effects, that I know of anyway. :D I did finally add it to Avast's exclusions. I think it's probably okay but since so many antiviruses were flagging it as harmful I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had had problems from using it. Thank you both for your input. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.