Anyone use Hitman Pro 2?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Lollan, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Link is foreign: http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

You should be able to tell from the screenshots at the bottom, but basically, it downloads, installs and runs a bunch of programs for spyware/AV cleanup automatically and I've been trying it out some today. I noticed that under the antivirus section, Nod32 is in the list, but it is greyed out and I have had this with 2 computers, one that has Nod32 installed, the other does not.

Any ideas? Pretty nifty program if I might say.

In my line of work, this kinda thing saves a toooooon of time. :)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you choose the Dutch language during Hitman Pro installation, NOD32 will become available.

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Be carefull with this program, it's heuristics module removes sometimes a bit to much :)

4. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Any reasoning for that other than their extended trial version?

*edit* I just tried installing the Dutch version, still grayed out.

ie: Winsock or just false positives?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  5. SSK

SSK Registered Member

No, I'm sorry, not NOD32 :) , I mean Hitman Pro!

It has an Heuristics module: Hitman Pro AntiSpyware. I have seen it remove valid software components etc.

IMO it is not the simple shell it once was, and certainly NOT for "noobs".

6. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I had that disabled anyways :) Just running ones i've used in the past :)

7. Capricornus

Capricornus Registered Member

Yes, I have used the program since the beginning, have tried all permutations, included the choice nót-to-use-it, and have done so on at least 10 different pc's. I'dd say I know a little bit what I'm talking about.

The option nót-to-use-it, but instead, using the different freeware programs seperately is time-consuming, at least, something most of the users I know will not perform.

As a user of NOD32, the option is grayed out, of course. But I've installed pc's (always: English) with AVG, and there was no problem checking off NOD32.

The heuristic analysis never went wrong, but is time-consuming and I'm not a believer.

Because many pc's are installed with administrator rights, I think and am convinced that the option SURFRIGHT is a brilliant one. It prevents all kinds of things the usual internet-visitor is not aware off, link unwanted injections. It hinders the installation of some software, that should be made clear, I think.

On the Dutch site www.security.nl there is a flame going on between believers and non-believers. I think every security measure counts, especially for dummies (and that means the majority of us). I heve not experienced slow downs because of the software, most major slowdowns are due to either infections, or Windows-settings (easily solved with Advanced Windows Care).

Marc Looman, keep on working for us! and many thanks so far!

8. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

9. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

Many are opposed to Hitman. Aren't ESET opposed to someone repackaging their software :ninja: ?

10. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Ask Peter Kovac - Chief Legal Office from Eset. I'm pretty sure on behalf of Eset he's totally against HitmanPro using NOD32.

On a side note: ask Javacool one and the same as for SpywareBlaster. Same answer is bound to come up.

HitmanPro is in effect parasiting, apart from bad coding.

11. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

I have been kindly asked by Paul Wilders to give some statement. To remove "the fog of war", some things should be said. I will not comment anything but the use of NOD32 in Hitman.

After some very long and painfull discussion we've decided to permit use of of NOD32 trial in Hitman. The use is bound to quit long list of our strict requests. Use is limited to Netherland only and can be revoked if necessary.

12. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up :eek:

13. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Thanks for bringing this one back. :p

14. haakman

haakman Registered Member

I Use Hitman Pro, but it always removes programs not known for spyware etc. Now it removed the excellent program iPodRip. Also, after running Hitman Pro I get a warning that I have no Firewall and AntiVirus installed, although I have my own Firewall and AntiVirus.

15. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Is it the security center saying you don't have an AV/FW? If so, try updating your definitions. I can't think of how Hitman Pro would cause that though.. odd. I've gotten out of the habit of using the program and since I can't use Nod32, there's no point in it. :)

16. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Latest news I got just yesterday........Don't use Hitman Pro at all, as it removes things it shouldn't remove at all!

17. markloman

markloman Developer

I am the creator of Hitman Pro 2 and I would like to say a few things, which I hope clears things and makes an end to all the false information floating around from people who like to make up stories / gossip.

Hitman Pro has full permission from ESET to deploy and use their NOD32 Antivirus. I work closely with NOD32 Netherlands and ESET to support English systems (at the moment, I only have permission for Dutch NOD32). I also work with Webroot and have permission from other companies like PC Tools and Adobe Systems, etc. to deploy their software. And I do not steal donations nor have I removed any links to them.

Furthermore, since people only seem to gather and remember bad things about good things, my own Hitman Pro AntiSpyware module indeed caused some false positives last year (name 1 antispyware tool that didn't had false positives in its history). The problems were also fixed last year and the entire module is removed from Hitman Pro 2.5 two week ago, because, just like the aging space shuttle, it required a lot of work to keep it working with the new ideas I have (and make it compatible with the new functions). Instead I will add something new I have been working on, called Fuzzy Logic - which is really usefull for experts and online antimalware communities (it kinda works like HijackThis but is more indepth, gives grades and is capable of detecting rootkits and other nasty stuff). People interested can contact me for a demonstration of my proof of concept.

And even though Hitman Pro was designed for non-tech users, Hitman Pro 2.5 now gives full control of targeted objects to those who want it.

I hope people stop acting as if Hitman is bad. I have 40.000 new users every week so something must be good. I don't run away from complaints (they help to improve things) but don't talk rubbish about things you haven't asked me or properly looked into. I work every day on Hitman and it will always remain free for personal use. I you have questions about Hitman, please send them to mark[at]hitmanpro.net.

18. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I'm very excited to hear from you, sir. I definitely look forward to seeing an English version of Nod32 fully implemented. I am very interested in your new software as well, sending an email now.

19. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi markloman,

Nice to hear from you and welcome to Wilders.
    Between your post and the post by mrtwolman above I'm sure all will better understand the truth of the matter.
    Thanks for taking the time to clear things up.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.