anyone tried the free one year bitdefender?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Logic, that would also explain why it added a NOT FOR SALE caption in the gui next to the BitDefender Internet Security title. Found that funny when I saw it.

2. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

For some reason it is not letting me connect to the bitdefender server to register, it says 365 days valid code but because I can't register showing as a 30 days trial.

Bit of a strange one.

3. 031

031 Registered Member

the key is working fine for me . whatever it seems to be buggy and slow . i will go back to cute lite avast ........:) :) :) :) :) :)

4. greenhorn113

It seems to have gone through but showing a license period of 347 days.o_O

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah they started it 18 days ago and everyone counts down at the same time. so right now you will only see 347 days left... its a bit buggy for me though ill try again later tonight and load it on my test pc at home and see how it performs.. will report back later

6. greenhorn113

Agree buggy at least on my setup but the real problem was uninstalling even with the uninstall tool a lot of problems still traces and wouldn't let me re install to try uninstalling again and running Regseeker seems to have caused more problems at the moment the only security software I have been able to install is F-Secure IS 2008.

Even Windows Security Centre is no longer running and I am not sure how to make it run and System Restore has ceased also.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you need to purchase RollbackRX Pro, or Acronis for you restore solution.

if you rely on windows system restore, expect problems greenhorn.

8. greenhorn113

Thanks I will look into it:thumb:

9. L815

L815 Guest

Thanks for posting about this :D

I tried Bitdefenders av 2008 not too long ago and found it really light, especially compared to previous version.

I used the 30 day trial, but the popup at startup and the lack of options when something was found kind of turned me off.

For ex. I used rockxp to check my windows key, and it detected it as malware and just deleted it with no other options then "OK".

Hopefully the activate IS won't have that problem :p

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Its buggy as hell. OK fine I admit the license is free and we shouldn't whine too much but what about screwing the whole freaking system?

I installed in on my freshly installed XP SP2. Its light, no doubt about it. But the manual update didn't work nor did the automatic update. I changed the settings to default and it worked for silent update.

After reboot when I started Firefox, BitDefender agent crashed and restarted. After i tried to generate a virus list, the whole lot totally went offline. It'll probably work again after reboot but thats the last straw for me.

I'm not gonna use it even if it offers me money for it.

By the way, scan speed is decent.

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Sorry to hear that it's causing problems for some folks here. Personally my only "complaint", is that i don't like the firewall at all. Permissions are vague as hell. It seems that programs that normally need only outbound, here need "both" and i can't understand why. Anyway, i m behind a router, so... The firewall also behaves splendidly with peer to peer applications.

I also installed it on a friend's PC, no problems at all. Both manual and auto updates work as they should.

If their 2009 version of the antivirus is so light as this one, i think i would actually buy it and keep a 3rd party firewall.

12. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello greenhorn113

Normally when you first exit BitDefender by rightclicking on the red BitDefender icon near the system clock and afterwards run the specific uninstaller I don't mean the default uninstaller and you reboot your pc then normally almost all traces are being removed. You can use windows installer cleanup if there are still some remaints. Select the BitDefender Internet Security entry and press on remove confirm the message. If you see an entry that look like this 11.0.14 remove that also. Reboot your pc. Normally BitDefender uninstaller tool doesn't remove anything from the windows security center.

Best regards
    Niels

I don't have problems at all with Softwin's products. I use their products since version 8.0.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You still owe me a six pack for that 50% discount code I gave you :cautious:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually i didnt use it, as i purchased it months after you sent me that and had lost it by the time i came to purchase o_O

but thanks though :blink:

15. greenhorn113

Hi Niels,

Thanks I will try that at the moment a few things have gone pear shaped, it appears out of all my security software only F-Secure is able to be re installed and maybe I will have to restore my laptop to factory settings and I have emailed Dell for instructions on this.:thumb:

16. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello greenhorn113

Sometimes the BitDefender selfprotection service can cause problems when you didn't exited BitDefender first and you run the uninstaller immediately afterwards. Go to start,run,type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to the display (view) menu click on show hidden devices. Normally you will find an entry called non plug and play compatible drivers, BDSelfPr right click on it and choose disable or uninstall. But for me it looks like a problem with your computer because you have also problems with other security software.

Best regards
    Niels

17. zfactor

why not just do a clean install if you are going to re-install stuff. everything that came on your system should be available at dell's web site in the tech area all drivers and things should be there

18. greenhorn113

Seems just like a windows reinstall, in much less time on a hidden partition xp pro was installed and using Dells restore I just had to get rid of all the trial software and have now been able to reinstall KIS 7, which I haven't been able to for some time so will stick with that for a while :)

19. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I installed in a FDISR Snap decided to uninstall. Then tried to reinstall. I got all kinds of errors on the uninstall & coulden't reinstall. I overwrote the snapshot uninstalled the previous security apps then reinstalled. Worked. I got fedup a feww hours later archived the image & overwrote with ZA SS.

20. zfactor

just took this off my desktop again. no thanks. had my 4th bsod after installing it a few minutes ago.. i did likethe layout and it seemed semi light on the system after using it for a bit.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I'm not suprised to see your having problems with all the av's you keep installing, my guess would be that they are all not being fully removed and conflicts are happening.

22. zfactor

freshly formated system my freind.. sorry not the issue. i installed vista used acronis made a image with NOTHING else on it just vista and ive restored that everytime i went to a different brand of av..

so far avira runs beautiful, ess runs great but i get bsod's with it but it runs very smooth. kis rund pretty nice now.. ive played with it for a while. nis2008 is not that bad still MUCH slower than avira... most others imo suite wise are way to bloated..

23. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

The trial version of BDIS 2008 was very buggy for me.

24. Rdmart

Rdmart Registered Member

I have a 2 year subscription for BD 2008 IS but not using at the moment as I experienced frequent crashed and problems with it. But it seems light on my systems.

Now this is a bit strange :

I just logged on my BD account after learning German:eek: and after receiving the serial added it. My account shows this

BitDefender 8 Professional Plus o_O
    Key: ******83D8 343 days left.

Going to do the Migration Offer for Dr Web hope it likes Online Armor :)

Ron

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  25. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Just received a mail,

(babelfish.altavista.com transalation)

Loves c't reader, dear c't reader! Thank you that you selected BitDefender 9 anti-virus plus to the protection from viruses and other mark time. Unfortunately we had to state that criminal ones find our software just as mad and used them for illegal business. For this reason we see ourselves forced to close the c't Lizenzschluessel to 25.01.2008. We ask for it for your understanding. As reconciliation for the developed circumstances we offer the version BitDefender 10 anti-virus plus free of charge to you with same update period. Please you download your new version here: (edit)........

Again thank you for your understanding! Its BitDefender team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.