Anyone tried Peekabooty yet?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by spy1, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I see they're up to version 0.7.5.3 now (it's not for NT users', BTW - just for Win 9x, ME, XP).

Anyone? Pete

2. snowman

snowman Guest

PETE

ok..I'm curious.....what is this program?? the name is rather....lets say mis-leading......

snowman

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

lol ;)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Best do a google for the name, as the original sites were down now. Let's call it a p2p program for contributing to free speech (and read), and the more people use it, the better the help in this race to 1984.
    One day the developer was in the street and saw a little kid playing peek-a-boo from behind her mother's voluminous backside with him, which inspired to the name of the program. It is doing exactly that what the name says.

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Took a look at the site, FAQ, About, News. Interesting. So, they are using a computer form of the Cell System (studied it in Political Science). It's a system which really works! I understand their stance pretty well. Of course, anything with positive application can also be used for negative purposes. However, if you try to regulate/censor those processes you end up being one with those who are afraid of change. Eventually, you'll be left behind by those who embrace change as a benefit (even if some use it for ill).

Thought about signing up but decided against it. In a Cell System, each individual and corresponding Cells are expendable. Hostile countries will crack some Cells. Personally, I do not feel that I have enough knowledge and ability to deal with that. It would be like a white belt novice fighting for real with black belt pros. Big mistake! (I've taken Kung-Fu, with all philosophical degrees, some Kendo, and some Tae-Kwon-Do.)

Enter into their arrangement with caution. Go armed to the teeth and be prepared to defend yourself. You are expendable in their larger scheme. Dangerous stuff!

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

'Expendable', in this particular scenario, at least, seems to boil down simply to having your IP address removed from the 'Node database' if it winds up getting monitored and blocked. Pete

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Been playing with it for a couple of days now and have noticed a thing or two.

Here's some c&p of questions/comments I've posted on their site:

"The very first thing that occurs to me is that, if you've got four pages of node listings here: http://www.dutchmountains.net/~fedde/pab/ , wouldn't all ANY government have to do is to constantly visit that page and add those IP's/addresses to their block lists?

Yes, I know it changes all the time, but how hard would that be for them to keep up with if all they have to do is click on it each day, or even set up something that automatically checks it every hour to compare listings and update/add new ones?

Am I missing something here? Pete"

And:

"Good morning! I notice that PAB puts a serious load on the processor (at least here it does) - somewhere in the neighborhood of 96%, according to TaskInfo2002.

We're not doing any 'distributed computing' here, are we? And if we are, to what end use are our computers being used for? Pete"

Puzzling - Maybe I'm only supposed to turn PAB on when I'm not going to be using the computer??

And, what is all that processor usage about? Surely it doesn't take that much processor just to let other people use you as a node??

Further, if they're publishing all the nodes available, isn't that rather self-defeating as far having them get blocked goes??

Oh, well, maybe they'll respond to those two posts. Pete

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Anyone tried getting to the PAB main site lately?

http://www.peek-a-booty.org/pbhtml/index.php

Having major server problems, apparently. Pete

10. controler

controler Guest

I looked at it is all a few months ago

BUt I still don't see any BOOTY :eek:

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Pete,

I just tried your link - all i get is:

Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost.addr.com' (61) in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php on line 131

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost.addr.com' (61) in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php on line 131

Warning: MySQL: A link to the server could not be established in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php on line 131

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php:131) in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/mainfile.php on line 45

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php on line 543

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr291/home/drunkenm/public_html/pbhtml/includes/sql_layer.php on line 543

12. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

To spy1: My point was that if the hostile country's hackers want to target your computer, it will be a lot worse than having your IP blocked. Hackers may have started out as independent abusers (like real Mountain-Men, most of whom were psychotic) but many get "legit" jobs for "political" organizations, as high-tech muscle! I don't need that kind of hassle. There's got to be a better way, a way that does not break our own laws and personal principles. The first law of self-defense is to run away, and you are taught to run very very fast. (However, if you're cornered, you also have abilities to survive the encounter.)

I'm not advising that people not use PAB, just proceed with care and caution. In any field of battle there are casualties. Are they as well-prepared as say, spy1 is? Do they have the means to survive? Important questions that must not be swept aside by ideological fervor nor complacency.

13. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

what so cool about it is it a secrett world in cyber space is it for the elite

why is it so cool

what does it do

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The site is working again this moment.
    Do have a look and in the documents area there is a very nice powerpoint presentation which explains it much better then any of us could describe.
    I just don't like the fact to have e real IP address posted on a web site which is visible for everybody.
    Would love to have that part invisible, just polling for my wanted info and the system would look for routings, anonymous for all.

15. controler

controler Guest

Jooske, Don't you use JAP yet. It seems to hide the IP perty good. I finialy got it running on my XP machine.

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I can have JAP (time ago was not available so often!, not sure how it's now) but that doesn't make a published IP on a web site hidden, dynamic or permanent and it could be asking for port probes and more.
    If it was as my wish above i am very sure thousands would have joined already; imagine the other day just after releasing there were around 3700 downloads and some 80 nodes, i guess for the same reason, not because we don't like the product, the contrary, i like the concept very much!
    Some proxies i've seen giving you a temporary list from the console to choose from and that refreshes each time, so nothing on the web site to sniff and crawl and copy and spam and hack and probe and ... whatever can be unwanted.

17. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Anyone have Naviscope and JAP working together ?
    Settings please !

18. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

any body can teach blaze how to use booth and where to get them in newby step by step fastion useing the blaze teaching method click here and there ect ect lol

19. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yes, Mick, I have the settings. Do you want them here or on ICQ?

Note: I also have it all working through SB 4.75 without the pacfile, if you want that, too.

Doing all this on Mozilla 1.1b . Pete

*Found this post of yours finally, BTW - could have put it in the other one.

**Until you get a chance to see this, I'll just say it goes like this:
    Browser--->Naviscope--->JAP--->SB4.75 w/S.Martin's hosts file.
    (And of course, everything comes back in the opposite direction).

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hmm. The people who put out that last test must've been seriously PO'd - I haven't been able to get a connection to JAP since late last night. Pete

21. MickeyTheMan

http://pages.infinit.net/carbo1/proxysetupwithpacfie.html
    Where does Jap fit into this ?

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

In JAP 'Config', 'Proxy/Firewall' tab, checkmark "I'm forced to use a proxy" use 'Host:Localhost' and 'Port:80'.

Not using the same version as you for SB (or the PAC file in the version I do have), so I don't know if that's going to work for you or not. Pete

23. MickeyTheMan

Pete, got it working.
    The only change to do from what i've posted on my web page is to go to Naviscope proxy setup and tell Navi to connect through an HTTP proxy with localhost, port 4001 and then load JAP.
    Works, but it's darn slow ! There has to be a faster service somewhere else ! ;)

Page amended to include JAP:
    http://pages.infinit.net/carbo1/proxysetupwithpacfie.html

24. Pete,
    Always wondered if Peekabooty had anything to do with your system crash..I had heard people had lots of problems to date. :( :( :( especially what you had described so far in the other thread.

John

VSantivirus no. 767 - Year 6 - Wednesdays 14 of August of 2002

Peekabooty: Privacy or security?
    http://www.vsantivirus.com/14-08-02.htm

By Jose Luis Lopez
    videosoft@videosoft.net.uy

From its beginnings, the great controversy of Internet has been the defense and at the same time the protection of our privacy.

In fact, numerous authorities have always had the possibility of tracking the activity of whatever it is connected to the network. Sooner or later, it is possible to arrive literally, until the own room of which it creates to be out of danger when trying sailing in anonymous form.

Actually, everything is possible knowledge what it has unloaded from a monitoreado system, although is created to be sailing in totally anonymous form by Internet. No of the solutions available is definitive. And it is a fact that after the tragic events of past 11 of September, has been reduced the options still more at the same time to sail and to maintain a true privacy. But this situation could change.

This was announced in one recent convention of hackers (H2K2), carried out paradoxicalally in New York, the same city that the past year lived in own meat, the brutal attack that took to the facts many of the practices that the North American government uses to restrict our liberties, under the justification of the national security.

According to a concrete announcement done in this conference, this situation will have an important change in the next months, when a called program in principle ' Peekabooty', is available in Internet.

Peekabooty is a utility based on the same technology that uses networks like similar KaZaa and other programs, is to say connections to peer-to-peer (P2P), computer computer.

In the theory, this program will create a LAN (Local Area Network) in each PC, and it will soon connect them to all between if. To rake through all these computers to find and to follow the track a specific user will be almost impossible, affirm that announced this application.

It is very probable that this one is not the definitive solution either, and in addition do not exist more data like affirming that the program will be really effective. In spite of it, already two differentiated currents have been created in numerous forums of opinion, affluent.

Perhaps one of them, sins of too optimistic, when thinking that Peekabooty becomes the panacea to preserve our privacy. But others are possibly too many skeptics on the matter.

Nevertheless, we do not have either to elude another great question, that serves to raise our new survey. A sacrifice necessary is the privacy not to lose our security.

Or said of another way. The security without losing the privacy can be maintained.

They are questions difficult to raise, and much more to take to a survey where single it is requested IF or NO.

But it is a definition that soon we will have to raise to us, if Peekabooty becomes in fact.

Survey:
    http://videosoft.freepolls.com/cgi-bin/polls/006/poll_center.htm

25. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

John - A good thought, but PAB hasn't been running on this system for quite awhile - it has severe processor-usage when people start using your node and I had it shut down until they got that fixed (actually, it's not even on here anymore since I had to use the disc to get the computer back up). Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.