Anyone tried AyRecovery instant recovery?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

With all the talk here of recovery software I was wondering what else is available and I came across AyRecovery. Has anyone here any experience of it please?

2. appster

appster Registered Member

This appears to be yet another 'clone' of Rollback Rx. :doubt:

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

I have had a read through it and from what I gather it does not give the option to store the info elswhere unless it does the same sector locking.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, it seems to be a RollBack Rx clone, but can someone perhaps explain to me how RollBack is able to create so many snaphots, and how it´s able to recover these images so fast? I never really understood it, I tested it on my VM a while back and I was impressed, but I never bought it because I read that a whole lot of people had serious problems with it, so it´s not reliable I guess?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's fast because. Well to start when you make a new snapshot say with FDISR, it actually copies all the files. What rollback does is just save a copy of the file table, and it keeps track of sectors in use. So say you make a snapshot, and then delete the file. It removes it from the file table in the current system. When you restore to the snapshot you took, and reboot, it simply goes back to that snapshot's table, and presto the file is back. It never physically was removed from the system.

Same thing if you take a snapshot and add a file. The new files sectors are written to disk, and the current file table is aware of the file. Restore the snapshot, and you go back to a table where the file doesn't exist. Again the data is still on the disk, so if you go back to a file table that contains the file, it's back.

Make senseo_O

Oh, the other key thing. Rollback and it's look alikes all keep track of stuff at the sector level. The windows file system is intercepted and passed thru their kernel level driver, to their system which keeps track of what's where.

Pete

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK thanks, I understand it better now, but isn´t this a privacy/security risk? I mean you delete a certain file but in fact it´s all still there. And what about diskspace, will it still increase if you delete a file? Last question, which app would you recommend? Is Norton Ghost better?

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well I don't want this thread to turn into a which app is better as it's about AyRecovery. If you follow my posts you would know which I use and recommend, but if you'd like PM me.

Pete

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Similar technology but different now with version 8.1 on RB and ver 6.0 on Ayrecovery.

9. osip

osip Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.