Anyone Tested DriveSentry?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by FatalChaos, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yeah, it's pricey, but for the stuff I wanted to do, I wanted the best. That it seems to be. Search the forum for virtual machine. There have been several threads.

Pete

2. interact

interact Registered Member

Muf,

I had the same problem as you!!! I complained to DS support and discovered that it's actually a bug in v2 which randomly would clear all your rules. I've been testing V3 for some time and it works much better. According to their site it runs in two modes:

Free version : After 30 days(?) goes online (similar to prevx) to validate white, black and community programs.

Retail version : downloads the online database to your PC so that it works while offline and speeds up disk and background scanning.

~interact.

3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello AwareSoul,

I have chosen to replace Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) with the latest version of DriveSentry(DS) Full due to the test results and reasons explained below. DS now employs behavioral heuristics similar to that of ThreatFire's and PRSC's. Despite this change, I still consider PRSC to be a competent intelligent behavior blocker. FYI, I performed all the tests(incl. "live" malware) below against DS with Returnil's "Session Lock" enabled.

GeSWall Demo Test: DS initially fails all the tests except for the first one. After adding a specific file(cscript.exe) to “Access: Rules” and blocking it from writing to the registry and writing to any files, while it still does not pass all the tests, it now blocks all “Backdoor Attacks” and two out of the three “Modification/Delete Attacks”. In contrast, PRSC fails this same test as it does not react at all.

BufferZone Proof of Concept Test: DS detects and blocks this test. In contrast, PRSC fails this same test as it does not react at all.

Trojan Simulator: DS detects and blocks this test. In contrast, PRSC fails this same test as it does not react at all.

Spycar Test: DS detects and blocks all of the tests. In contrast, PRSC fails this same series of tests as it does not react at all.

Leak Tests: Of the twelve that I tested, DS was able to detect and block all of them. In contrast, PRSC failed to detect any of the twelve as it does not react to any of them.

DS has an official technical support forum. In contrast, PRSC does not.

DS has a rather extensive set of configuration options. In contrast, PRSC is limited in this regard.

DS provides a detailed log change list for each and every program update on their website. In contrast, PRSC does not.

DS offers “Live Online Help”. In contrast, PRSC does not.

DS is relatively inexpensive depending upon which version one chooses to use(Lite – Free; Full - $10). In contrast, PRSC is expensive at a price of $34.95.

DS developers appear to be more willing to listen to suggestions from the general public and incorporate these features in a reasonable period of time. In contrast, PRSC appears to be more willing to listen to suggestions from small-medium business(SMB), government, enterprises, etc.. to the disadvantage of the general public.

DS developers appear to be willing to address reported and verified issues with DS and deliver timely fixes or solutions. In contrast, I can not comment on PRSC.

DS offers above average to excellent customer service/technical support usually within one business day or a few hours. In contrast, PRSC offers mediocre to above average customer service/technical support usually within one to two business days.

DS company policy to making public comments, informing the public or replies to public inquiries regarding DS appear to be more lenient and friendly. In contrast, in regards to PRSC, I have posted two quotes addressed to me by Sana Security’s CTO below.

“I agree that we could do a better job on the communication front but
    again this is a question of business priorities.”

“As far as answering your
    specific questions, you might not be aware of this but PRSC is sold
    through many different channels, brands and OEM partners. Different
    partners are on different release cycles and have different
    communication policies. Since what I say to you constitutes public
    communication it is not always feasible for me to respond to your
    questions, given the level of technical details you are asking.

If there are critical issues effecting our customers these are addressed
    and communicated in a timely manner through our marketing or technical
    support, which makes sure that we are compliant with our corporate
    obligations.”

To get a flavor for DS and take a look into the “windows of DS’s soul”, please visit the following links posted below.

http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=110
    http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111

I have not experienced any false positves, no apparent functional conflicts with DefenseWall, Look’n’Stop and Returnil and any slowdowns with DS. Additionally, I have found it to be relatively stable on my system. I have become impressed with its ability to detect and block numerous viruses, trojans and rootkits that I have thrown at it so far. While DS is a work in progress, I am encouraged with its performance against various tests and live malware samples to date.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

5. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Acadia,

The link to the test of DS that you provided is quite old. Most, if not all, of the issues that were brought to light in this review are addressed in DS v3.0.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I am using PRSC, and have read this thread and have post my opinion(see#15).

Due to CogitoErgoSum's positive review, I decided to give it another test drive.( a third time)

Oh man, not again. The same problem has struck three times in same fashion.

Soon after product is lunched, it immediately freeze up my system, hard way is the only way out of mess. My current setup is WinXP MCE sp2, Comodo FW(defense+ off),McAfee AV,DefenseWall, PRSC Prevx2,WinPatrol plus.DeepFreeze. Could any of these be the culprit ?

This problem reminds of early stage of CyberHawk(former life of threatFire). If this is so, then I suspect DriveSentry v.3, fresh from incubator may not be ready for fully deployment aiming public use. I respect the review done by CES, and fully appreciate this product has a great potential to be a marvelous protection gear for PC users, but user as I can not advance to the next step, then those promised rose garden may well be just an illusion.

Perhaps someone can point out to me where did I go wrong with this test.

Take care.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Wow!! That combination of security odds & ends could bring just about ANY computer to its knees. All I use is NAT/SPI router, AV, & Threatfire. I recommend you strip down a bit.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, but...

I have been running this combination for a long while, no any problem at all. Sailing very smoothly. RAM usage at any given time is between 40-55% of my 1 Gib memory, intel duo core 2 processor.

The single addition of DriveSentry would just mess up the whole thing.
    I like to add DriveSentry's protection, just do not know how to...

Take care.

9. Peter2150

Perman, I just don't see you needing it with what you are running. It won't add anything to what you already have.

Pete

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Pete

Thanks your advice, I will refrain from trying this product again.

Just my curiosity prompts me to do so.

I guess that trying a new app is a risky business, and sometimes perhaps is uncall-for.

11. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Perman,

Have you considered uninstalling both Prevx 2.0 and PRSC since DriveSentry already employs a combination of blacklist, whitelist, community and behavioral heuristics? Since you already have DefenseWall and DeepFreeze, have you considered relegating McAfee AV to on-demand duty? I believe that these suggestions will go a long way toward eliminating the conflicts that you are experiencing. Hope this helps.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Perman,
    I would uninstall DeepFreeze first and try DriveSentry without it. If it doesn't work, I have no other advices. :)

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, CES and Erik:

Thanks your inputs.

I will try those adjustments on Toshiba P4 laptop, to see what would happen.

Thanks, again.

14. Peter2150

Actually, I get a kick out of it myself. Thats also why I have FDISR and Shadowprotect, cause you never know what will happen.

15. CogitoErgoSum

16. CogitoErgoSum

To get a big picture overview on how behavioral heuristics is implemented into DriveSentry and the role that it plays in the detection scheme of things, please take a look at the following link below.

http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102#p163

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I still hesitate to test DS after Pete´s virustest where DS oddly enough allowed the virus to to its thing while prompting the user. If this "feature" still remains with latest version, then DS just acting as a poller which I´m not interested in.

/C.

18. interact

It looks like Drivesentry have now done the same test as Pete -> http://forum.drivesentry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107&start=15

~interact

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is this virus called MyPicture.exe after you unzip the downloaded file ?
    I tried this and while I was unzipping the file Anti-Executable warned me and removed the file MyPicture.exe. :D
    When I turned AE off and unzipped again, I got the file MyPicture.exe.

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Just curious but how does AE know when you did an .exe file, does it act like a scanner?

dja2k

21. Peter2150

AE was probably blocking the copy.

22. interact

AE scans the disk and builds an approved list. If anything then runs after this which is not on the approved list then they are blocked from execution. I've tested it in the past and it works well but it blocked a number of security updates by 3rd party apps so it got removed. Great for total lock down situations but can be tedious in the real-world.

~interact

23. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I know how AE works, I've tried it but didn't keep it on either. When Erik stated, "I tried this and while I was unzipping the file Anti-Executable warned me and removed the file MyPicture.exe." got me curious as to how did it get it while unzipping, that would be like an active scanner or scanning on creation of .exe wouldn't it?

dja2k

24. interact

dja2k,

I've no idea what AE does under the hood but the code it uses to check for a process open could also be triggered by other file I/O (if incorrectly coded). If any PE32 file is copied to the disk then the O/S can map it's image to memory to display the icon or other PE info such as version details.

~interact

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked out DS once again, and I almost know for sure that this was the last time, it really sucks. Configuration seems a bit too complex, but the worst part are the very unclear, thus useless alert windows. How the hell am I supposed to make a good decision based on crappy information? :gack:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.