Anyone running TrustPort AV??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

wanted to get some feedback on it if anyone has it running. With its results and cost I may switch over but would like to know if its worth it or not. Also how the customer service is.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have been running TrustPort for a couple of weeks on a test snapshot.

Initial observations;

Large download size, over 150 MB so no use to dial-up users. Only 2 engines available in the Home/Small user version, Bitdefender and AVG. Felt very light in real-time with no slowdowns even though the two engines were enabled and the 6 processes totalled over 70MB memory on an XP machine. Nice, slick GUI. Support is very fast; emails generally answered within an hour.

However, one of the processes, Avmgma.exe gives very high CPU activity initially on install; on startup/reboot avmgma.exe can show 60-90% CPU activity. It does settle down to 0% after a few reboots. Apparently this process checks only signed files in Windows and Program Files. It will start up again two weeks later but this time it checks only changed files so activity this time should be greatly reduced. In addition, on-demand scan speed is slow using both engines but it does speed up after the first full scan.

Overall, IMHO, TrustPort Antivirus is worth looking at for an AV with a known high detection rate.

Compared to the other multi-engined AV, G-Data, TrustPort felt lighter in real-time with 2 engines enabled compared to when I just had the Avast engine enabled in the Guard of GD. This was probably due to the default settings in TP when files scanned where by extension. Further, support was a lot more responsive.

In contrast, G-Data has a behaviour blocker and is a cheaper option than TP; TrustPort’s standalone AV is £27.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Here is the million dollar question. What is their support like?

4. Blackcat

I sent them 7 emails, all of which were answered to my satisfaction.

They consisted of both technical and general queries about the Antivirus program. Those sent during the day were generally answered within the hour at the most; those sent during an evening were answered very early the next day.

Therefore, I have no complaints about their email support.

5. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I am running it on this laptop along with Online Armor Pro Firewall. I have no problems with this a/v. I may try it on my main computer when my GData subscription runs out in a few months. It does not slow my computer down on the net or at any other time. I did notice high cpu usage & a lot of hard drive activity after the initial install & that had me worried some. After a few re-boots all was normal.

I would give Trustport a try if you are looking for a good a/v with good detection rates.

6. Blackcat

A lot of potential users, particularly the average Home user, will be put off by this very high CPU usage of the program.

This is mainly due to initially avss.exe which is the TPAV Service Scanner Provider and avmgma.exe which is the TPAV Management Agent. However, after several reboots both processes fall to 0% CPU activity.

Those on Vista may also have to disable Windows Defender, as this is incompatible with TrustPort AV.

It feels very light in real-time but it does take up a lot of memory compared to some other AVs.

7. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I agree with you Blackcat. I have plenty of memory so it does not bother me. Runs light on my system & I'm happy with it. By the way, do you know how to stop the balloon that pops up saying if their is an update or not? Gets kind of annoying after a while. I have it check for updates every hour.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

NO the million dollar question is why pay when you can get a great AV for free? ;)

Results, let's talk about results!

The tests from AV-Comparatives show on one that Trust Port is doing better then Avira, then on another test Avira, so it's a toss up and since you can get Avira for FREE, that makes it practically a no-brainer. :)

Then there are those that will go for Avast, either way with Avast and Avira both offering a free version why even pay for TrustPort, truth is, it's not worth it.

P.S. A 163MB AV ---- HOLY CRAP!!! :(

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  9. markcc

markcc Registered Member

The reason is because I believe people should be paid for their work! Would you work a day or two for free? If one can't afford to buy one then that is a different story. I have no problem paying for a quality product that works.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I pay for things that work too and I don't believe anyone should work for free unless they want to, but the point here is really WHY pay for something like this when you can get an AV app just as good for free....

Take your pick: Avira, AVG, Avast, all offer a free program just as good.

Sorry paying for TrustPort is not worth it...

11. markcc

markcc Registered Member

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. If I were to use Avast or Avira I would use the paid version. I want them around in the future & have the $$ to continue to improve.

12. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have a large amount of memory that will never be used so im not too worried about it slowing me down much. I dont download much and keep the PC clean the best I can. As far as paying goes, I am using MSE but I dont look at that as free since microsoft is..well microsoft. I have no problems paying for my AV products for the same reasons. Whats missing in the free versions has you ending up layering so much other stuff that in the end I would just rather pay. Plus most dont offer full customer service in free versions and if they do its by email which i have found to be a pain. For a good product,as many have claimed here, I can afford the 30 or 35 dollars to buy the product. I am just asking about different ones for now before I decide which to buy. Thanks for the input fellas

13. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Attached Files:

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

That's great info.... :)

15. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

I'm currently trialing Trustport AV, seems quite powerful, just a question for its users, I noticed several processes from the AV as the following below:

avas.exe
    avcom.exe
    avmgma.exe
    avss.exe
    gozer.exe
    tptray.exe

Am I missing any more Trustport processes? Just curious, what's your average "Mem Usage" and "VM Size"? And are you using its built-in sandbox for its Internet protection module?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  16. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Does Trustport offer a custom install where I can choose not to install the mail scanner module (if its available)?

17. Blackcat

They all seem to be there ;)

See attached but CPU time and I/O Reads/Writes are more important and TP seems reasonable after several reboots as it needs to fingerprint files.

No. I stayed with the default setting. The sandbox was mainly used when Norman was one of its engines so I am not sure whether it is fully functional in this version!

Attached Files:

18. Blackcat

As far as I remember you only have the choice of the Internet Scanner on install.

But no problem as once installed go the main Window>Internet Protection>General then just select which modules you want active.

Attached Files:

19. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Thanks Blackcat. But does disabling email scanner result in some sort of permanent warning notification from the AV - tray icon changed/AV status unprotected and so on?

20. Blackcat

No, thankfully; so it's not like some other AVs ;)

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

There seems to be a lot of CPU and I/O activity after the initial install but after the fingerprinting/caching it's a down to about zero. A full computer scan seems rather quick after the process settles down. FULL computer scan took about 30 min.

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Also there seems to be an unintended bug with the USB scanner creation. You have 6 "exports" to create a USB scanner, I set one up to scan other computers with and the count dropped down to 5 exports remaining. I uninstalled Trustport to play with another AV and then later reinstalled the Trustport. After the install the export count was back to 6 remaining exports. :D

Trustport.jpg

23. Blackcat

Support even on Sundays :thumb:

Sent a query/problem yesterday and I was not expecting any reply until Monday at the earliest.

Roman Vencálek seems to be the main man and he is very good.

24. fsr

fsr Registered Member

The one time i tried, updating multiple engines would take forever. Have they sorted this yet?

25. Blackcat

No problems with updating the BitDefender/AVG engines here.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.