Anyone running a Mac ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eyes-open, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Just wondered if anyone was running a Windows OS on a Mac. I'm figuring that for all I think about there being good stuff on the way for Windows users - now is a good time for me to buy a Mac and see what all the fuss is about.

I'm looking at running XP & Linux in Parallels or possibly VMWare, as it's moving along with it's beta trials for Mac. Apple have also produced a dual booting feature to accompany their intel chips called 'Bootcamp' which should allow for a Vista install that runs natively if & when I want it.

So do we have any Mac users here ? Are you running another OS either side by side or hosted within the OS ?

Any security concerns for Mac users other than basic password protect & firewall ?

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Running OSX on a MBP. Using Parallels for Windows and Linux and so far no problems. Tried Bootcamp, worked but i found out that Parallels is just fine for my windows requirements.

3. eyes-open

Thanks - I was thinking the Bootcamp had particular value for Vista later on, both so a domestic version was safely within the EULA, but also because I don't think that accelerated 3D works in virtual environments at the moment.

4. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

If you're looking for 3D games then you surely should use bootcamp. For all other things (including simple games) parallels is enough (And MUCH FASTER than VirtualPC)

5. eyes-open

Ah - I'm not so much the game player on the pc, still useful tip there about VirtualPC - much obliged for the input.
    If you're happy to add a bit more, what security regimen do you follow for your Mac ?

That's a general question to anyone - what steps do you take to secure your Apple Mac ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  6. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I just installed Parallels on my new iMac - and have had only very limited experience with it, although so far I'm very pleased. As stated in earlier post above, it's much faster than the emulator software. Also, I want to have XP running alongside, so I chose Parallels over Boot Camp. I need to address the security apsects ASAP, so any links would be appreciated.

Rob

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I use a mac book sometimes which has Parallels, but there are ways and means and 'CrossOver Mac' also, bootcamp already mentioned. Then again I've also run OSX from Linux using Pear and other ways cos I quite like the feel of mac.
    For all intents and purposes, Mac while running Windows is a Windows PC.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

macs are similar to linux when it comes to security, they are both unix like, i don't use one but i'd guess you need to keep up with security updates and make sure you don't have any stupid network facing app settings, and that's it.

bootcamp lets you boot straight into windows, but parallels runs both OS's at the same time so it needs more RAM. those are my mac pearls of wisdom :D

9. eyes-open

Cheers guys - just firewall, file sharing permissions, updates & password protection then for Mac users - nothing else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.