Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm running Jetico and seeing something weird in my logs. Exactly every 4 hours, I see INCOMING packets (2) from source address MY address TO 255.255.255.255, source port 68, destination port 67. The firewall is blocking them without any harm so far.

It looks like dhcp, but instead of outgoing, it's INCOMING. Very odd. My normal dhcp rules are working fine, and my lease is being renewed every 12 hours successfully. I'm using Win2k on a cable connection.

This incoming stuff first occurs immediately after I reboot, and then every 4 hours thereafter.

Anyone know what this is all about?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I guess it's not a problem. When I reconfigure Jetico and accept the defaults for the trusted zone, then it goes away, so it's apparently something to do with my ISP or network IPs or something.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Kerodo

This will just be your system going through the process of obtaining/renewing it's IP address. It is normal to see these requests/broadcasts prior to the actual lease expiry as systems may poll the server at regular intervals prior to expiry time.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks CrazyM... I'd never noticed it before except I think I did remember seeing it when I ran Kerio 2 as well. Interesting..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.