anyone know if avira or outpost locks certain files

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by winterlord, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

did avira or keyscrambler or outpost lock files see pic

hi i am wondering because there is a copy of every file in C drive. that shows a locked icon on it and even i casnt open it. and it is my computer. i noticed this i believe after instaling key scrambler avirqa or outpost but i am unsure.

it locked the computer name me.
    locked default user
    and the all users folder.

it also locked documents and settings folder. am i ok? or is this paret of some virus.

also i noticed on a usb thumb drive there is a locked file called %system information

thanks winter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Do you have System Restore enabled? If so, try Restore to pre-install state for whichever software you added first.

But if that doesn't work there are so many variables here. It would be a good idea to back up anything important in the locked files before you do anything. Chances of losing data, malware or not, are pretty high. I would get the drive out of the infected computer and switch to another computer, a computer with an up-to-date anti virus, and save any files I wanted (from another computer you might get access to the locked files on the drive). Then scan the infected hardrive for malware.

Check out Panda USB vaccine Dont plug your USB drive into anything with autorun enabled. This will disable and allow you to then scan the USB.

If you find no malware. I presume you're on Vista ... use how to take file ownership permissions guide going into Safe Mode is the best way to attempt this.

That's all I can think of for now.

3. winterlord

well i cant do the system restore to test and find out sinc ei re-did my pc. but i still very much would like to know if one of the security software apps outpost, Avira antivirus, or keyscrammbler did that. or if someone set up shop on my high powered machine because they decided it be a good server for them lol.

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I can't see Avira doing that, Keyscrambler niether really.

Can you access those files in Safe Mode ?

5. winterlord

no i could'nt acces them at all, not in or oput of safe mode and mbam file assasin would not delte them it just wanted to open them but could'nt do that either.

6. winterlord

ok it happened again. on a fresh install to. i hav'nt even added the storage drives yet :(. so im assuming this is ok. and i know what did it i think. Avast anti-virus. im runnin windows 7 x64bit RC. does anyone know anything about this. or can anyone confirm that avast does indeed do this.

thanks
    winter

7. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Are you using the encryption service with Win 7 by any chance? I didn't use it when I tried W7 so I don't know how it worked, or looks like, but the pics you've shown appear to be user account security policy ► aka problem with Windows ► not Avast + Avira + Keyscrambler + Outpost + any other 3rd party application

1) Its either malware
    2) or, User error/misconfigured security policy for your user account

8. winterlord

no i never enabled anything. howeverit installed by default was how it was. but i just redid my pc and none of the locked icons where there. i installed outpost and a-squared and still no lock icons. but when i installed avast i looked and low and behild i have locked icons again.

i uninstalled avira and did system restore today because im going to use MSE since it just came out. after doing so uninstalling and sytem restore of aavast
    the icons did not go away. so unless it was an update that automaticly did that or if it was avast, and avast left that behind then idk. i hav'nt configured anything though. just installed.

9. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Avast......avira..........different things

10. winterlord

yea i got them mixed up. but it was avast that did this am wondering if it is suppose to do this or not. it is the free version of avast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.