Anyone know how to force Chrome to use PPAPI Flash?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome uses the NPAPI plugin by default on my computer.

If I enable the PPAPI in about:plugins it works fine but when I restart my browser it's disabled again.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Wait... which one comes with Google Chrome? Isn't it the PPAPI one?

3. m00nbl00d

-edit-

What I could suggest is the following. Enable PPAPI in chrome://plugins again. Open Process Explorer and see what are the parameters in chrome.exe process that handles the plugin. See if you see anything related to PPAPI that could indicate that's what's forcing it to run. Then apply that command switch to you Chrome's shortcut and see if it works.

4. Hungry Man

NPAPI and PPAPI both come with Chrome. By default my Chrome is using the NPAPI version and not the PPAPI version.

I don't know if that's just my machine, the dev version, or the default for Windows.

EDIT: Oh, smart.

5. Hungry Man

The flag is --type=ppapi

but if I put that in Chrome won't start - probably because it's just launching the ppapi plugin and nothing else

6. m00nbl00d

OK.

In the following page you'll be able to see quite a few flags about PPAPI.

-http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/

Research them, and see if one does what you need. I specially wonder what --enable-pepper-testing is all about... The page says Enables the testing interface for PPAPI... Maybe it's what you need to use. :doubt:

7. Hungry Man

YEah I've gone through command lines and can't find anything.

8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

That seems to be the desired operation.

See: hxxp://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=95645

9. m00nbl00d

The explanation given is a bit "stupid", though. Only people familiarized with flags would use them, and they would know what it is for. If something broke, they'd know they would have to restore the default options. If nothing breaks...

It's like HSTS. Everytime one reopens Chromium (Not sure if it already hit Chrome), we need to re-add the domain names all over again. Kinda boring. We need to rely on the good will of websites webmasters. :ouch:

I just find it stupid that those of us wanting to use these options have to re-enable them every time we reopen the web browser. o_O

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What is stupid?

Chrome's Flash works for most everyone. It's time to entertain the possibility that "experts" have overtweaked something and it's a FUBAR situation.

I've even seen posts about Chrome giving Aw Snaps as though something was fundamentally wrong with Chrome. There isn't.

11. Hungry Man

I just don't see why they automatically disable it. Oh well, thank you JimboW, now I can stop looking.

12. Hungry Man

Just an update, Chrome Canary seems to let me use it after a restart of the browser.

13. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

You can now use Pepper Flash with the latest Chrome Dev build 21.0.1145.0 and because it runs in the Chrome sandbox it is contained under the new Untrusted IL implementation.:thumb:

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  14. Hungry Man

Wow. That's very interesting. I guess they're really getting ready to push out the PPAPI plugin.

15. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Won't work in Chromium though as far as I can tell.

16. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I was able to get it working. Chromium won't automatically detect the plugin.

For anyone else using Chromium who would like to give PepperFlash a try, grab the pepflashplayer.dll from a Canary or Dev install of Chrome and just use the following command line switch

Code:
    --ppapi-flash-path="X:\Location Of pepflashplayer.dll"
    The only odd behavior I've noticed is that going to chrome://plugins reports the wrong flash plugin version number. It should say "11.3.x.x" but it says something along the lines of "11.2 r999999 instead. "

Other than that, it works fine and you will now have flash running under the Untrusted IL in Chromium too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.