Anyone know a great AV that blocks PUPs well?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by taleblou, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

I am looking for a av that alerts and blocks pups WELL. I tried emsisoft antimalware pro and baidu av and they both failed on alerting and blocking PUPs for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did you try emsisoft in paranoid mode?or nod32 antivirus with hips in interactive mode?or even malwarebytespro?thanks for testing my friend:thumb:

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

4. taleblou

emsisoft was not in paranoid mode. I have not tried mbam and nod32. By the way I tried comodo and avg IS but it seems they give errors in my win 8.1. Something to do with the firewall or network protections. So I could not test them. Do you know of any free avs that does great PUP blocking?.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

ESET is blocking PUPs very well. Just enable the detection of PUPs in advance settings or during installation.

hqsec

6. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Second that, Eset is one of the better pup blocking AV's. But I always stack any AV with Chicalogic/MBAM, due to it's superior pup blocking. Avira has optional PUP blocking, wonder how good/bad it is?

7. bidd

bidd Guest

Avast free will block pups if you turn it on in Web and File Shield, it can be activated for individual scans as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  8. bidd

bidd Guest

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I think Eset & Comodo AV is good at detecting PUPS.

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

IMHO the best at detection are MBAM and ESET.

11. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

What about on demand?

HMP found a tool bar i didn't know i had MBAM doesn't see it.

12. taleblou

well I tried MBAM pro to test and it did not do a full 100% PUP blocking. It let through several of them but detected them in the scan as malwareso_O??

I tried secureaplus, and it crashed win 8.1 in to a crash loop. As I say comodo and avg did not work in my win 8.1 as they gave errors. Emsisoft also did not block any of pups I tested.

By the way win 8.1 is very incompatible with lots of programs. I am thinking on moving to win 7 but the several hours of updating it to the latest windows update from 2011 to today discourages me.

Maybe I should go back to linux.

Anyway thanks for all your posts and help.

The best I could reach was 80% protection of PUPs and 100% of malwares by using chrome, with trafficlight extension and windows 8.1 own protection pop-up plus windows 8.1 defender. That has to do until I find away to increase the protection or maybe change operating system.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

don't leave windows then you wont come to the forum:) it is ok to have problems maybe soon they fix it and then the programs will work like they should:thumb:

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I've ran into the PUP problem last year when I was still using Windows for browsing the net on my personal computer. What you need to remember about PUPs is that website blocker is your best friend. I've tested several AVs out of which I found ESET, Avira with WebGuard and FortiClient to be most effective. Don't be fooled by MBAM, it will miss quite a bit. However I use MBAM as a supplemented real time protection against PUPs on some of my family computers.
    So if you don't mind paying then ESET + MBAM Pro real time will give you probably close to 98% protection. Otherwise you can go with Forti + MBAM Pro realtime which will give you 100% protection but is much slower. Last time I checked Froti had the best web filter on the market so while it's heavy you get your bang for it.

15. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

MBAM realtime (Protection Module) will not block PUP installs with default settings.

In order for real time to block PUPs then the settings in the engine need to be changed to show PUP's in results and precheck for removal.

That will enable the realtime protection module to then intercept PUP detections in real time.

HTH :)

16. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Malwarebytes, Eset, and Comodo and pretty good at this.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

NOD 32 is very good at blocking PUPs.

Attached Files:

18. taleblou

If comodo worked right on my win 8.2, then I would use it, but the firewall error and the red fixit bar was discouraging. I do not know why win 8.1 is full of headache.

So many apps I found that do not work well in win 8.1. So I wonder whats the hype with it?

19. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Outpost 9.1 released monday (security suite and stand-alone antivirus) have a new improved PUP (potentially unwanted programs) section and settings.

Attached Files:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my friend use the antivirus only and not the firewall,if you have a router and windows built in no problem:D :thumb:

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Classifying PUPs is relative so i'd say that signatures will vary a lot from vendor to vendor. Choose your favorite. :D

22. taleblou

Well I think toolwiz time freeze should be enough with no security suite to protect. Yes I have a router. Thanks for your advice my friend.

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Blame the vendors. They've had Windows Blue access for a LONG time. I haven't run into much of any conflicts with 8.1, and find it a superior OS overall. I'd say take it up with Comodo.

I've tried 5-6 AV's on Windows 8.1 and they work fine.

24. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I've also had no application compatability issues with 8.1. My daughters Machine runs it. Comodo 7 beta works perfectly when I tried it in a VM.

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

WSA is good at detecting PUA. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.