Anyone here using FireBird? I need help.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

How do you uninstall Firebird. I thought I would give it a try and I really didn't like it.

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Delete the directory

3. JayK

JayK Poster

And your profile if you want to be through.

The Profile Folder

Before the configuration files are presented, you should know how to find your "profile folder", as it is commonly called. The profile folder is where Mozilla Firebird saves all your settings and refers to a location on your hard drive.

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\

On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

4. notageek

Thanks. It's all gone now and back to mozilla.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I didn't like firebird either till I tried black diamond firebird. I really like it , works like it is supposed to :D

6. notageek

What's the link?

I just didn't like the cookie management in firebird.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

this is the link from another post from Libbo1 that has the link to black diamond firebird. Just click on the black diamond logo

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16085 ;)

8. notageek

Thanks.

9. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

The cookie management will be the same as it is still the firebird browser. And though most users are very praiseworthy of cookie management in FB, some like the stand alone cookie managers.

10. notageek

I'll stick with mozilla. At least I can reject 3 party cookies in Mozilla.

11. JayK

JayK Poster

3rd party cookies? Why can't you in FB? It's the same checkbox - "for orginating website only". That will reject third party cookies.

12. notageek

What abput sites that have no privacy policy?

13. JayK

JayK Poster

o_O Whether a cookie is considered third party or not does not depend on whether it has a privacy policy!

14. notageek

No, i mean can i block cookies from sites that don't have privacy policies.

15. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

sure u can!! but . . . u will have to check each one for its privacy policy . . . so I guess u block em all and go from there. :cool:

16. JayK

JayK Poster

You are considering allowing third party cookies if they have privacy policies? Bad idea....

Personally privacy policy or no privacy policy I will never accept third party cookies.

Besides I'm not sure how effective filtering out cookies based on P3P standards is going to work out.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/ie6-p3p.htm points this out

"While IE6 will block third-party cookies from sites without compact policies (see the results for www.csmonitor.com for a good example of this), this limited protection will likely become increasingly marginal as more and more domains construct P3P policies which satisfy IE6's lenient "Medium" Privacy tab settings (as Doubleclick has). "

Yes, even the evil doubleclick has privacy policies :)

Granted the above discussion is in the limited context of IE 6 which is less flexible in implementing P3P controls than mozilla ( 5 preset levels compared to seperate filtering actions for first/third party cookies and privacy policies) and of course that medium level is sadly loose , the fact that even doubleclick has privacy policies tells you how useful they are.

The fact is privacy policies are going to be pretty worthless if everyone starts to put up one.

IMHO, the most effective and easiest way is to totally reject third party cookies (bye bye doubleclick and other tracking cookies which are almost all third party) . They almost never have reason to give you cookies . For first party cookies convert them first to session before accepting. I prefer to convert them to session, because I don't like cookies sitting around after i stop surfing.

If you are truly paranoid, you might use mozilla's p3p controls to further filter first party cookies and disallow those without a privacy policy, but I think that's not necessary , anyway in most cases, such cookies are necessary to avoid losing functionality.

17. notageek

No Jayk, I want to block all 3rd party cookies and block cookies from sites that don't have privacy policies.

18. JayK

JayK Poster

Your inital post only mentioned the desire to block 3rd party cookies. FB does that with no problems.

I'm curious what's your settings like in Mozilla for cookies?

19. notageek

Here's a screenie. :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.