Anyone here tested Pc Cillin 2002?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fatpizzaman, Mar 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatpizzaman

fatpizzaman Registered Member

Is it any good? Does it have a new detection engine, and new ways of getting rid of virii? Is the firewall included in it any good?

How does this program compare to NOD32, as I am gonna buy a virus scanner today.

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

As far I know there is no independent test available for PC-Cillin 2002 yet. So I can not say anything about improved virus detection.

Comparing the 'old' PC-Cillin version to NOD32 I would prefer NOD32 for serveral reasons: detection, speed and heuristic.

wizard

3. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

I was running PCcillin 2002 on WinXP and there were no problems, as far as crashing is concerned.
    You can turn the firewall off, if you choose.
    You have to uncheck the option in the program and change the service to manual or disabled.
    It offers no pop-ups requiring you allow or block programs from accessing the net.
    Any program that wants to access the net can do so, just like the WinXP firewall.
    The firewall passes the GRC ShieldsUP tests but does not pass the PCFlank tests.
    The Anti-Virus is pretty much the same as PC-cillin 2000.
    I don’t have a lot of faith in the Anti-Trojan program.
    I have no use for the Wireless Anti-Virus portion either.

My opinion of PC-cillin 2002 is that it is a good Anti-Virus program with a useless Firewall and Anti-Trojan making the program bloated.

I have uninstalled it from my system and reinstalled NAV2002.
    NOD32 is a great Anti-Virus; I just don’t like the three icons it places in the tray by my clock.

4. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Eset will address this issue with the next major update and move them to only one icon.

wizard

5. JD

JD Registered Member

Any idea when the next (NOD32) major update will be? I'm currently looking for a new AV program because of the bloatware route PC-cillin has chosen. I had also used Kaspersky in the past but the support was poor. Apparently you have to pay full price each year instead of getting a discount....because Kaspersky would never give me an answer about it.  I tried NOD32 once but didn't like the 3 icons in the tray either. If they are going to "fix" that I may reconsider.

6. fatpizzaman

NOD32 looks a little too cheap. The interface looks to cheap, and it doesn't look as though the virus scan is trustworthy. What do you think?

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hello fatpizzaman,

IMHO cosmetics are a) a purely personal matter b) never should be a factor wether to use a security software or not.

As for the quality from the scan engine: have a look at the 100%Awards from VirusBulletin:

www.virusbtn.com

In regard to ITW viruses. No comment needed.

regards.

paul

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I have no reason to beleave the virus scan of NOD32 is 'cheap'. Check out the results of Virus Bulettin a well respected technical magazin about computer viruses. Every two month they test anti virus software for a different operating system. In the histrory of these tests NOD32 was the only program that catched all ITW viruses each time it was tested. It was awarded 17 times now.

wizard

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Hi JD,

I could not agree with you about the support of Kaspersky. It is first class. Never had any problems with it. Always fast and competent answers.

As far I know Kaspersky does not offer any discount for a new licence.

wizard

10. Illusion

Illusion Guest

I use Kapsersky pro 3.5.5.4. Although it is very good especially in detecting trojans, when i right click to a file in windows explorer it takes much time to appear the properties of the file. When disabling kaspersky monitor everything works ok. I don't know if this happens with version 4.

11. JD

JD Registered Member

Which site, Russian or Swiss? I was talking about the Russian site. While it's true that their first response was quick, they rarely replied to any followups. I'd ask a question, they would immediately answer....I'd follow up with another (usually because their first answer was inadequate) and I would never hear from them again. That's one reason I dumped them.

No they don't. As good as Kaspersky is, I don't believe in paying full price each year, especially since 4.0 seems to be even more bloated than earlier versions.  That's another reason I dumped it.

It seems that bloatware is the name of the game these days.  :(

12. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Hi JD,

I use only the support of the russian site. Very quick and so far I never had problem with the support.

That anti virus companies improve their software and release at least once a year a new version with more features is nothing new. But Kaspersky decided for reasons I do not know the rewrite of the whole software. So KAV 4.0 has not only a new graphical user interface and some more features it also has a complete new scan engine! The new engine works slower than the old one and seems not to have any noticeable improvements on detection rates or the heuristic.

So this is something I can not really understand why there has been a need for this. I guess Kaspersky had some good reasons to do so because no one would rewrite such an important part of the software to become worser.

Let's see what next major updates will bring.  Overall (as I still use KAV 4.0) I like the program. The software is easier to handle than 3.5 and looks much nicer. :)

wizard

13. fatpizzaman

However it is one thing that NOD32 can detect 100% of virii for the virusbtn's individual tests, but a question still remains that is very important.

This is HOW MANY viruses/trojans/malware can be CLEANED/DELETED/DISINFECTED!

Now does NOD32 clean/disinfect all the virii it detects? Because I have used Kaspersky AV 4.0 Personal Pro, Norton AV 2002 and Mcafee virus scan 4.5 and they have all failed me in cleaning viruses that have been detected!

Is nod32 in the same category as my past virus scanners?

14. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Hi fatpizzaman,

automatic disinfection is a problem for all anti virus software. Sometimes a repair after an infection is impossible. This can be that the virus already damaged something or (for worms and trojans) there are too many complex changes (in the registry for example) made. Also a problem to disinfect a virus when the virus is still running. In these cases a boot diskette is needed for disinfection.

Another thing is that every anti virus software reports that a virus is found even when a worm or a trojan is found. Only viruses can be disinfected. Worms and trojans can only be deleted.

In most cases vendors offer special removal tools or detailed instructions on their websites for manual removal.

Nearly all vendors offer support if you have problems with removing a virus. You ask them. You paid for that service. :)

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.