Anyone here test driven 14.04 alternate install?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Palancar, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am in a place where I am planning on doing a full work-up on one of my computers. It is mandatory that it be full disk encrypted. I have used 12.04L in the past. I found the 12.04L installer missing some elements that would have made the installation a bit easier.

I have been reading around and notice that 14.04L is coming out in under a month. The beta is currently being tested and I thought maybe some of you guys/gals might already be trying it out. Just wondering if the installer is the same or if some different features might have been included?

I may download the beta-14.04L and install it on a spare 32 Gig flash to do my own testing. The members here have usually given good advice and share their experiences. Anybody using 14.04L? It is LTS so it'll have a 5 yr run.

2. Palancar

I pulled it down and will give it a look in the next day or so. Still, any input is welcome. I fully expect it to be a little "buggy" since its a beta.

3. x942

x942 Guest

Are you using the Alternate disk just for FDE? or other reasons too? I ask because FDE is now a checkbox in the default installer and has been since 13.04. 14.04 has it too, I just installed it in a VM.

It uses AES-256-XTS by default with a random key for swap on each boot. I find the normal installers are more stable then the alternate install disks.

4. Palancar

That is EXACTLY why I was going to try the alternate. You may have just saved my A@@ from a workout I don't need. LOL!!

The full disk encryption is NOT DMCrypt/LUKS as with the 12.04 alternate? I am going to read around but I am surprised that feature didn't popup as I was looking through several websites. Candidly, I did not look at the 14.04 regular install because my experience with 12.04 meant the alternate for FDE. The security/privacy implementation is very important to me. I will be moving /boot to a removable media so all sectors on the plate are encrypted. 14.04 regular will do that?? Simple encryption of home and swap is not going to cut it for my needs. I may not even run swap since I have 16GB Ram. I'll give it a look and then I will also build a test VM if it does what I think you are saying it will do. Let me know if I got it wrong -- please. Thanks for the heads up!!

5. Palancar

I see it does have LUKS -LVM. That is what I need.

6. Palancar

Update. I will be using 14.04 LTS when it comes out next month. For now I am going to build the machine with 13.10 because the upgrade to 14.04 is anticipated to be seamless. I have contacted several high time users that upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 Alpha/beta and their experiences were perfect. Obviously 14.04 is not ready for 100% use yet. I may install the 14.04 beta to play with, but for this machine I need a working OS I can depend on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.