Anyone here know Cisco IOS routers?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I have an old Cisco 1841 that I bought on EBay, for education and bandwidth/latency reasons.

It performs very, very well on my 20 Mbit connection. (Comparable to a Linux router with QoS, and somewhat better on latency I think.) Implementing ACLs for port control etc. is pretty easy. However, security looked iffy enough that I took the thing down after a few days, and replaced it with the usual Linux netbook router.

In short: it was making its HTTP and Telnet login prompts available to the whole Internet, with slightly tweaked "auto secure" settings. If that qualifies as hardened on Cisco routers, then I really want to get a better measure of the thing before swapping it in again.

Questions:

1. Can I limit any service to one or more specific Ethernet interfaces?

From what I've seen it looks like some services are per-interface, while others are enabled or disabled globally. Is this the case or am I missing something?

2. Can I block non-forwarded, inbound packets to the router, by interface?

I'd like to just blanket deny administrative access from WAN, since I have no reason to want that, ever. This seems like a strict subset of anti-spoofing, but also seems difficult to do without invoking a static WAN IP address... which I don't want to do, because I have DHCP on the WAN side.

3. How can I enable SSH on this model?

Supposedly I can generate an RSA key and then enable the SSH service, or something like that; but every command that could possibly be involved in SSH logins seems to be missing.

(For the record, I have two books on IOS. One is Cisco IOS in a Nutshell, which is good enough as a reference, but doesn't cover some of the weirder and model-specific stuff. The other is Cisco Routers for the Desperate, which was a waste of $10.)

Edit: also, bonus question

4. Can I make this thing send me logs by email?

It doesn't look like it has any kind of MTA, but I'm not completely sure. Kind of weird too - even the obsolete, consumer-grade Dynex router that I no longer use was able to send log summaries by email.

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Okay, updates...

Points #1 and #2 turn out to be unnecessary. Any ACL will default-deny all traffic not explicitly permitted. So for restricting logins you just make the service's access-group point to an ACL that permits your LAN range (or such), and nothing else. Not sure how this meshes with anti-spoofing, but also not sure how much it matters, since logins are TCP anyway.

(Oh, yes, I ran an external port scan. Everything's closed.)

Point #3 is, I think, not applicable for the firmware revision on this router. Apparently I need a special version of IOS with crypto support. Sigh.

Point #4, still looking into it. Probably not possible. Worst case, I can just log in every morning and look over the dropped packet logs...

Edit: ah, got it. #4 is a nonissue because ACLs, again, didn't work how I thought; the NAT ACL can't do any filtering, it's all done by the inbound and outbound ACLs on each interface (duh). So anti-spoofing is dead simple.

Blocking unsolicited TCP requests to the router itself seems rather more complicated, though. Downsides of stateless packet inspection...

Edit 2: hmm. I should be able to blanket deny TCP SYN packets on the WAN side, one sec.

Edit 3: hurray, this router actually has connection-tracking for TCP! I'll use that instead. :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.