ANYONE HELP? Has my computer been infected?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by darrenrichie, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darrenrichie

darrenrichie Registered Member

Hi everyone;

I have got windows xp home and i recently put on zone alarm pro as my firewall. I connect to the internet using a usb maodem on broadband.
    My concern is that my activity monitor on my task bar is constantly showing activity coming from my computer when i connect to the internet. This shows up on the zone alarm monitor and also the internet connection icon that shows when you connect to the internet.
    I understand that this could be activity from some of my start up programs but how can i make sure that i haven't been infected somehow?
    I have ad-aware, spybot and mcafee antivirus. Scans don't show anything but i guess that they can be easily hidden.
    I have read alot in these forums and would just like some advice on what to do to ensure that i have a clean system.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey darren,

Setting a side for a moment the possibility your infected....when you notice the traffice via the "zone alarm monitor"....is the traffic incoming(green)\outgoing(red) or both ?

Also....have you installed XP SP2 ?....and if not....do you have XP set to download any updates if needed ?

3. darrenrichie

Thanks for the reply Bubba;

The traffic is from the red monitor and i do have sp2 installed. I recently did a clean install as well as my computer had a problem were it wouldn't start up properly.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....outgoing then o_O

Concerning Zone Alarm Pro(ZAPro)....how do you have your programs set up. Meaning....does everything have to ask before they can access the Internet each and every time ?

If after you re-boot your macine and without attempting to access the Internet....do you then see outgoing action(packets) in respects to ZAPro ?

Also....if when your seeing this outgoing traffic you place ZAPro's Internet lock on....who screams or what does your ZAPro log show in respects to possible programs being blocked Internet access ?

5. darrenrichie

ZA doesn't show any activity when not connected to the internet. Also when i put lock on there doesn't seem to be any alarms or attempts to access. All my programs are configured to ask for permission. All very strange and annoying because i can see activity from my computer going on nearly constantly and I just want to know the source.
    There is a strange occurence were Dr Watson Debugging Service seems to be running in the background alot and i haven't seen this before. Could this be anything to do with it?

6. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

HI, if you open task manager, click on networking while your are connected, look to see if your connection is being used [there is a % of your bandwidth]
    If there is then further investigation may help.
    As a side note in Zone Alarm-programs list, programs that are accsesing the internet have a green dot beside their name.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Darren, can you try following the steps found here, these are fairly comprehensive and should confirm that your system is clean...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.