Anyone heard of Freedom personnal firewall ? Any good?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by greenze, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenze

greenze Registered Member

What is your views as compare to sygate , za and outpost ?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

In case anyone wants to have a look: http://www.freedom.net/products/firewall/ ;)

Regards,

Pieter

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Freedom firewall?

That program was pre-installed on my Hewlett Packard Pavillion.
    I looked at it but never used it.
    I know that it's payware.
    I would see if there are any tests done on it and see how it performed vs Kerio,Sygate,Outpost etc..
    I know that it isn't listed at pcflank's firewall tests.

This is all I could find on Google for tests.
    This link has a lot of tests and Freedom was tested by PC Magazine last year.
    http://www.firewallguide.com

4. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Pieter,

That is what I wrote earlier I removed based on my own decision from the hp pavilion 310n computer a long while ago because it seemed like a problem rather than a help. It came installed in the computer when it was purchased, and the complete name was "Zero Knowledge Freedom." Its tray icon was red with a white zero...same color combo as McAfee's. Had a cookie jar and some other features, but haven't missed it since deleted...unless don't know it took my colors with it or some such silliness. mj

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz,

Good to see you posting at Wilders, does that mean I didn't wreck your computer? :D
    We'll have a look at what extra security you need after the box is running the way you want, OK?
    Do some reading on the forum if you like though. Lots of good advice to be found here.

Regards,

Pieter

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hi,
    The computer is definitely moving faster, albeit still with no or wrong colors. I've sent you a message or two letting you know what's up. Will miminize site for a few while I take this thing for a test run outside for a few and see if different now than before spybot...don't know if removed as much as you intended for me to or not. Was confusion about checked vs. red, since all were red. And yeah, I figured as long as I knew (sort of) what Freedom was, I might as well share. I deleted it from my machine without anybody suggesting it. Such decisions sometimes cause me trouble, but if this one did, has not been traceable to my decision. It really BUGGED me and am glad its gone. mj

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz,

Feel free to open a thread of your own if you still experience problems.
    Lots of knowledgeable people around who are always willing to lend a helping hand. :)

Regards,

Pieter

PS If you mailed me I won't be able to read those till I get home. That should be in about 7 hours.

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks...I'll look at what I sent you and test a few things further...see if anybody else might have any ideas on causes. When we met in the other forum, it was my first time in a forum, so I don't understand what might be considered rude in this one; I've read enough to see there are varying opinions on the subject I've got zero complaints about the help you've provided me with so far: I'm very grateful. Would you please clarify if I should check and remove all red items found by Spybot or leave it with only those the program checked (4 out of 66) removed? I have the window from end of that scan minimized at present, but hate to leave it waiting that way for 7 or more hours! mj

9. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz,

In Spybot all the red items can go. Check them and click Fix selected problems. In case of mishaps the program makes backups.
    Would you like me to open a new thread for you? I could IM you the link.
    Because we're kind of drifting away from the subject here. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I noticed "we" (I) drifted a few posts back already. The driftING is over. Would appreciate thread and link if you'd have some idea what subject to start the thread about or as, based on the problems you're aware of that remain thus far. I'm on unfamiliar turf in this forum, but if one sticks with the known, nothing is learned. I find the technology fascinating, even when it frustrates. Now I'll delete the rest of the garbage (rhymes with garage) as suggested.

To wrap this it up back on the subject, I've got no idea WHY HP opted to include Zero Knowledge Freedom in the computer, though the name may be a clue, especially the first 2 words, if applied to the company. I found it to be restrictive rather than providing freedom, if permitted to run and the meanings of error messages were not clear when they began showing up at as part of re-booting. mj

11. the Tester

Hi Jayzzz.

I did the same thing a long time ago.
    I was new to computing and I found that Zero Knowledge was a good name for the program.
    It was a pain and I eventually removed it from my H/P Pavillion.
    While I didn't give it much of a look,I don't miss it at all! ;)
    I thought it was intrusive,always wanting to activate or giving prompts to subscribe.

12. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hi, again, Tester. Hopefully, this is an example of great minds thinking alike rather than simple minds thinking similarly. Nobody's mentioned losing and missing it, have they? mj ;)

13. the Tester

Hi Jayzzz.

I agree.
    Nobody seems to miss that firewall program at all. ;)

It's a strange program.
    You'd think that a pre-installed firewall would have more tests done on it.
    It doesn't have much popularity or reputation from what I have found doing "Google" searches on it.
    That makes me wonder how/why they decided to put that on their pc's.

14. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

In my humble opinion, it's because the folks at HP don't care about pleasing their customers after they've been paid. :mad: They may also have had some kind of advantageous arrangement with Zero Knowledge, which could easily be one of their own subsidiariies. Of course, that's just my opinion. mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.