Anyone heard of Defender Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by innerpeace, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, One of my mothers co-workers asked me for advice on cleaning malware. She said that she bought this program at Wal-Mart to replace her existing expired protection. http://www.defender-pro.com/home_users.php From her description, she is running the Home Works version "suite". Is this software any good and what engines does it use? I see in the past it used Kaspersky. Is this still true and which AS and firewall does it use?

Thank you, innerpeace

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Does the reg key work?
    I have bought Defender Pro in the past and the key was expired.Had to request a new key.

Don't know about the rest of the suite,but last I heard the av and firewall were Kaspersky.

3. innerpeace

Hi, I'm not really sure if the key worked. She didn't say if it was installed or not. I just met the woman tonight. She ran an expired AV for a month and recently discovered spyware and was trying to clean it up. She mentioned buying the program because it was approved by consumer reports :gack: . I have to admit, it is a fairly good price if it's any good.

The whole situation is a bit messy. The computer is used HP and she's not sure if there is a windows cd or restore cds. She is having problems with IE7 after running some programs to clean the spyware. She's on dialup so it would take forever to dl the proper programs and run them. One computer guy said that he would re-install windows for $300 :eek: I've never cleaned a computer before, but I would like to give it a go with what I know. I would do it purely for the experience.

I was going to hook her up with a free suite, but if Defender Pro has quality components I will suggest that she keep it.

4. the Tester

It's an HP?
    My first computer was a cheaper HP(WalMart) and it had no XP cds. Some of those shipped without the disc,instead they have a recovery console.
    I used the recovery console 2 or 3 times with mixed results.

5. innerpeace

Yes, it's an HP. I don't know if it has an option to create recovery disks like my e-machines. My computer only lets you create one set, otherwise you have to get them from e-machines. My system has a D: partition which will recover XP. I think using the recovery console if available would be a good idea in this situation. Did yours have a D: recovery partition or was it a different set up?

6. the Tester

It was a partition,but I don't recall if it was called a "D" Recovery Partition.
    I had to enter Safe Mode if I remember correctly.
    HP support talked me through it twice.
    There were two types of recovery-Destructive(lose data)or Non-Destructive(retain most data).

If she hasn't registered Defender Pro yet,maybe she should wait until you finish working on it.In case you have to start over with a Destructive Recovery.I'd keep Defender Pro since it's paid for.I don't think it's a bad program.

7. innerpeace

Thanks for your replies Tester. That sounds like a good idea. I will let her know about the recovery console. I'm off to bed for now.

innerpeace

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If I remember correctly, the kaspersky fw/av is from a previous kaspersky version and used as an OEM, maybe kaspersky 5 but it could be 6 by now. I don't think it is kaspersky's curreny version, although the previous versions were pretty good.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just looked at the link you gave and clicked on antivirus under the home works product.
    and it showed a rebranded kav 5 screenshot.
    if you are gonna clean up the computer for her you might as well take the best antimalware tools on a usb stick with you.
    lodore

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1... looking at the screenshots on Defender Pro's website, the AV looks like Kaspersky v5 and the Firewall looks like Kaspersky AntiHacker (possibly v1.:cool:
    Not sure about other components.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not seen Defender Pro for sometimes. I see no reason it would not be OK, although improvements have been made in later editions of Kaspersky.

I have never cleaned up a system, but SuperAntiSpyware is often recommended. I suppose the free version would do the job. AVGAS and a-squared might be good also.

Yes, download the applications on a USB stick or CD and it will save much time. I keep downloads of the applications I use in my download folder, and that makes it easy to take to someone.
    It will be interesting to learn what you find. Good luck.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. innerpeace

Thanks acr1965, lodore, dawgg and JerryM. It does indeed look like it has Kaspersky components. I now see the little label at the bottom of the AV screenshot. If this product is decent, the price is good and includes 3 licenses. I'm still not into suites though :p. Thanks again for your help and advice

Cheers, innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.