Anyone heard from HDS - re Rollback?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Me too are following your testing with interrest. Maybe if you havent reported any problems within a couple of months, I will test it again. I mean it took a couple of months before the problems, that both you and me experienced, appeared. Atleast for me.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Not quite... I had been using RBx for only 2-weeks (not months) before experiencing my first Rollback-induced crash.

In any case, if you guys are too 'gun-shy' to beta-test this version along with me, that's perfectly understandable. I'm doing it (although I'm extremely disappointed in HDS' customer-support) because I still want to give RBx one last shot and because I have complete faith in ATI protecting me from any Rollback-induced disaster!

3. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Pvsurfer,

For one, it is not because I don't want to beta-test this version but because I don't really have any problems with my version (the one release previously to this one)... In fact the only problem I have is when updating baseline (It happens the last two times but than not a major one) and from my last communications with Eric, they are working on it.

Best regards,
    Atomas31

4. sukarof

I dont have any image backup program so it is a pain to reinstall everything. I have a couple of snapshots in FDISR that needs to merge (ie reinstall) together if I install Rollback so I can start splitting it up with it :)
    I am thinking of buying IFD/IFW though, when I got that up and running I will reinstall Rollback for sure.

5. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Sooo sorry:eek: pvsurfer, I was referring to ShadowUser in my post, and not to ShadowSurfer which is a very limited version of SU.
    I assume it's either the beer i was drinking when writing or your nickname that got me wrong LOL.
    I do apologize;)
    BTW, thank you for your test of the new build of RB... Let's see what will happen from now on... Is it true that HDS has scheduled to release a much more improved version 8.0 in September, as i was told about?
    Cheers,
    Hervé

6. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi Aigle:) ,
    As i removed ATI, some months ago, after a catastrophic error caused by it and that compelled me to recover around 5 000 000 bad sectors on my disk with a specific tool (it took 15 days to recover all in DOS, 24 hours a day), i have tried to retrieve what was the time it took with it when backing up. If my memory doesn't fail, i had time to do some gym, take a shower, have my breakfast after going and buying some "croissants" downtown and kiss my gf of the day. LOL - KIDDING-
    but i am not that far from the truth when writing so! ;-)

As far as i can recall, the maximum compression rate i got with ATI was 50%.
    But mind you, my post was NOT intended to denigrate ATI which is an EXCELLENT software. Unfortunately i am among the many users who post every day on their forum at Wilders to report a problem. A friend of mine is quite satisfied with it.
    Cheers,
    Hervé

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  7. pvsurfer

Version 8 is definitely in development. As for it being improved, it will certainly have enhanced features, but at this point in time I am far more concerned with stability than I am with more 'bells & whistles'!

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

:thumb: :thumb:

9. sukarof

Drat. I hope they will fix the existing problems with some builds before the next version. I dont want to pay for it again :/ (One pays only for version 7 and all its builds up to next version, 8 in this case)

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good choice. I tried IFD. Loved it. Bought it. It's a joy to use.

11. pvsurfer

Day 2 with the new build of Rollback Rx Pro...

We are having a major heat-wave (hottest days on record and with very high humidity) in So. Cal. All of the AC's must have put too much of a load on the power in my area as I had a brown-out while using my comp.

Before anyone starts preaching a UPS to me, let me just say that the electrical supply in my 60-year old house isn't grounded. :(

That said, naturally my system suffered a 'soft-crash' when the brown-out occurred, so here was an unintentional test opportunity for RB... I have RB scheduled to make a snapshot on each startup, and the brown-out happened about 30 min. after I had restarted my comp this afternoon.

To make a long story short, this event brought about another dirty-disk situation because of the open files at the time (no fault of RB) so I decided to see if I could restore my 30 minute old snapshot - the RB snapshot restored like a champ!

Stay tuned... pv

12. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi pvsurfer:)
    Sorry for what happened to you...:eek:
    IMO, you should hang some garlic behind the main entrance door of your old house to conjure bad lot... If you don't, we may not know the continuation of your RB test series.;)
    I stay tuned and have postponed my business trip to Paris till we have a more thorough report from you LOL.
    Cheers,
    Hervé

13. pvsurfer

Did you say Paris? -- I'll be happy to take your place (and of course, your reservations)! LOL

14. pvsurfer

Day 5 with the new build of Rollback Rx Pro...

As stated previously, the record-setting heat wave in So. California has been playing havoc with power all over the area. So rather than have to invent beta-problems, I've had to cope with system problems resulting out of weather-induced power failures!

Since my last post, I've had 3 more power outages, each one crashing my system (creating a dirty-disk situation because of open-files). To cut to the chase, each time I was able to restore my latest RB snapshot and I haven't had any of the past RB problems. :thumb:

It's only been 5 days, but needless to say, so far this new build is looking good...

15. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi pvsurfer:) ,
    Once again sorry for what's happening in your area...:(
    This new report issued after such hard conditions is thorough enough to enable me to confirm my flight reservation to Paris...:D
    Thank you very much for your valuable and precious contribution in testing this new build.
    Cheers,
    Hervé

16. Peter2150

Hi pvsurfer

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that they may have solved some of the problems. I probably won't go back only because of the backup issues. FDISR is an integral part of my backup scheme, and I have been rigorously testing the backup/restore scenario's and it is working to well.

Pete

17. pvsurfer

You mean to tell me you didn't mail me your tickets - darn! ;)

18. pvsurfer

That's perfectly understandable Pete... Until I live with this new build for a couple of more weeks (without RB-induced events), I myself will not be convinced that their core-problems have indeed been fixed.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U mean corrupted snapshots?

Also how stable is the system after chkdsk if u don,t roll back to immmediate last snaphot.

20. pvsurfer

Yes, I do mean that. Also, in past builds of v7.2.1 & v7.2.12 RB twice caused a very dirty disk problem on my system when I simply attempted to restore a prior snapshot and once it left me with a non-bootable system due to missing System32 files (hal.dll, etc)... Thank goodness ATI rescued me from each of those events!

I've experienced about 4 brownouts this past week (with the new RB build installed). The first time it happened I ran chkdsk and it ran as I would have normally expected, finding and repairing about a dozen errors (due to open files at the time I lost power). I then restored my prior snapshot, which went without a hitch. On the subsequent brownouts I just restored my most recent snapshot at the time (since RB was 'behaving' well) rather than fool with chkdsk.

Hth, pv

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I too installed the latest build. Let,s see.

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Sounds promising. A couple of more positive reports & I shall again take the plunge.

P.S. Wilders needs a smilie that portrays abject fear & cowardice.

23. pvsurfer

Good to have company aigle; be sure to post your observations (good or bad). ;)

Today makes a week that I've been using the new build without any problems (by that I mean no RB problems). While I'm encouraged, I'm not euphoric because I 'lived peacefully' with RB for 2 weeks after I first purchased it.

With the weekend here, I should have the time to perform some additional stress-tests (it takes time to create a verified disk-image before each test), so stay tuned...

24. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi pvsurfer :) ,
    After the hard conditions you have got through this week, i hope they have not foreseen an earthquake or a hurricane in your area:eek: this week-end just for you to test RB more thoroughly!!! LMAO
    I cross my fingers for you.
    Cheers;) ,
    Hervé

25. Peter2150

Hi Pvsurfer

I'll also be curious as to the backup/imaging issues.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.