Anyone heard from HDS - re Rollback?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Have any of you Rollback users (or ex-users) heard anything from HDS about the system problems that several of us experienced and reported during May-June?

Over the past 2-weeks, I have sent emails to Andrew, Eric, and Lyle, but haven't received so much as a courtesy reply! :doubt:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I haven't, but I haven't tried. I think they realized at least with me that they didn't have much of a chance with the test I suggested. I've gone completely back to FDISR, and have sort of forgotten the whole affair.

Pete

3. pvsurfer

Thanks Pete. I too abandoned its use - hoping they would find and finally fix the 'gremlins' in RBx.

However, it's getting to the point where I'm just going to ask for a refund for my 2 copies! :doubt:

~pv

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have too abandoned this once so promising software, and returned to FDISR, because of the unreliabilty I have reported earlier and the lack of response to, for example, aigle´s reports about Rollback not giving disc space back. And theiir forum is a enigma, why start it when no one from HDS responds?

5. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

I was very close to the point of abandoning Rbx, too. However I thought I should give them a last chance to fix those problems, the more so as my trials of FDISR were very disappointing.

I got an unofficial test build from HDS ~ one or two weeks ago which I am currently running. Andrew said they implemented a different approach for handling of the pagefile which should prevent file corruptions. They plan to release it when they have completed QA.

I can't tell yet if it is any better than the old ones. It's too early. However at least they are still working on the issue.

6. josef

josef Registered Member

I spent a lot of time (really many, many hours) to test that fu.... software. They told me too, they would be working on the issues. Never answered after that. It must be very hard for those who bought for this bad kind of software. :thumbd:

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I bought it but I had 50% discount, so it is only half that hard :) but that is the price you pay as an early adaptor (the pain) , anyway I still like their approach and if they get things sorted out I will try it again a couple of versions from now. If my license still is valid that is, I wont pay for it again.

8. pvsurfer

Trying to keep this thread as constructive as possible, I noticed NEW MODIFICATION DATES associated with all Rollback Rx versions today!
    However, the above build number hasn't changed from what it was in May! So confusion still reigns... :doubt:

9. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

Installed. Version is still 7.2.1 but build number is higher. Apparently this is the QA tested new build they talked about. Apart from one new option "Auto delete snapshots when free space is below xx MB" I could see no other changes.

10. Peter2150

Wonder if they tried my torture test on it.

11. pvsurfer

I doubt it very much Pete. Furthermore, if this 'new build' really solved the system-crashing and dirty-disk problems, it should have deserved a new version number (if for no other reason than to avoid the stigma associated with the current version number). So I get the feeling it's just a minor enhancement rather than the much-needed (major) cure!

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I sent a mail to Andrew when I got issue of HD space and got no reply. Posted in their forums, no reply.
    I am still using it but removed it from my signatures. Having no imp data on my PC. it,s still useful for me in spite of all the bugs as no other software gives me instant trial/ recovery with new softwares. If some snapshot gets corrupt I just erase it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  13. pvsurfer

A while back, Andrew turned my 'case' over to Eric Sun (Director of RollBack Rx Support). At that point I fully cooperated with Eric - providing answers to all of his questions regarding the problems I've experienced. However, my recent emails to him have been returned as being 'Undeliverable' (I guess he doesn't work there any more)! :doubt:

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The latest from me, as i was fed up with just 5 snapshots of a 5 GB OS taking more than 20 GB space, I uninstalled it just to install the new version. After uninstall again there was chkdsk run and then no boot up for windows, even safe mode did not work- all ending in a BDSOD. I am reformatting now.
    As I said earlier I had no data on my PC, all that is lost are just my settings and most have been backed up already.

15. Peter2150

Sadly I am not surprised. Sure wish the outcome had been different.

16. pvsurfer

Yeah, I agree on both counts. The cost for 2 Rollback licenses certainly won't break me, but considering that the software is defective and the company is now non-responsive to its customers makes me believe we should all request a refund.

17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m game if you guys are.

18. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of aigle's words is, that he has not yet installed the new version. I understood the crashing happened when he uninstalled the old one. So let's not jump to conclusions how good or bad the new build is.

19. Peter2150

In principle I agree with you. Just not worth the time to me. Likewise I agree about the refund issue, but again, time is money, and I've just moved on. Not the first software I've bought and then just left.

20. pvsurfer

If the newly dated version (with same version number) has indeed fixed Rollback's core-problems, why hasn't HDS notified their Rollback users, or at the very least respond to those users who have cooperated with them and have been patiently awaiting good news?

Think about that...

21. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

No need to do that, as I agree with you in principle. My intention was not to defend HDS. The only point I was trying to make is that we should not jump to conclusions and that we should give the new build a fair chance (or wait until we hear reports from others) before we bash it.

22. Peter2150

Hi Kenjin

While I agree with you in principle, my concern, and why I probably won't bother, is while the product had some neat features, I am not convinced, that going thru a kernel driver for every disk access will ever be as reliable. Also there was a measurable speed difference.

Pete

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was using the 7.2 version I downloaded in March/ April. I could not use the version 7.2.1 relaesed after that as I would have lost my snapshots.
    Now this time I have installed 7.2.1( which most of people are using now) and did not bother to install latest release as I hardly think it can be more stable. Atleast 7.2.1 will be better than 7.2.
    Anybody tried the latest release?

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What do u mean by this? Atleast I did not feel any difference any time and I think about myself to be very touchy in this regard.
    Anyother persons have felt it?

25. Peter2150

It was small, but finally I tested. Best test was to run two full KAV 6.0 scans in a row. Since nothing was changed and there was a short time between them, the second scan was really a test of how fast the machine could run thru the files. You could make several passes, and the time difference was negligible. But there was a significant difference between not having Rollback and having Rollback, and with Rollback it was slower. Almost a minute slower out of 4 minutes.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.