Anyone have uninstaller

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dean2900, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello.

I must admit it is much better now . Again , it was not necessary to underline the word not ... "Do not attempt to uninstall your ESET security product using the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility from the Control Panel." but as you like it.

Now , if you also change the wording in the ESET Uninstall utility itself , removing "Your PC can be harmed seriously" , the article would be perfect , in my personal opinion .

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

We have emailed the development team in SK with some changes to the text in the utility.

Thanks,
    Richard

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Good to read . Thanks for letting me know :thumb:

4. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

>"Your PC can be harmed seriously" . Well , isn't this again too much .
    I don't agree with your opinion.
    I took a look (by procmon) what does it do to system and I would expect there vehement warning about that user is aware it can be really dangerous.
    I think it can seriously damage a system.

5. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

I would say, wording "Your PC can be harmed seriously" is in place too. This utility simulates functionality of MS installer for ESS/EAV. But used logic is not the same. And as I wrote before, there are no MS KB articles about how to manually uninstall all the stuff (e.g. NDIS IM filter driver) which ESS/EAV msi installs.

By the way, if you look at some MS KB, where registry modification is required (for example: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826 ), there is written: "Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly..."

This tool does modification to the system but not using API provided by the system and they are not based on any MS KB, so don't you think that used wording is in place?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

I suppose you could set up a virtual machine and monitor all the changes eset does and then either write a script to remove leftover junk.

However ideally for borked installs or uninstalls we need a proper uninstaller not a KB article that doesn't work.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am not saying anything against the way the uninstaller works . The article is a public one , the utility - too and such wording is simply a mark , a stopmark or ! mark against the typical end user who is already overwhelmed (if they had to use such utility to get rid of the program).

8. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Used wording should only warn user, that he should back up his data before using and that he should use this tool only in cases when normal uninstallation process (via MS installer) fails. So not to use it without legitimate reason.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I just wanted to pass a message along from ESET's tech writers:

Just so everyone is aware, the Ratings section at the bottom of Knowledgebase articles, where readers are asked to score articles on how helpful they are, has a comments section. Those are read by ESET's tech writers, so you can fill them out or leave a message in the forum.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.